Advice

shayes

Hi all , was hoping to get some advice/tips. I have owned Husky's for about 7 years, however my recent addition to the fold has baffled me.

When ever we go out for a walk she goes absolutely mental. As soon as her harness is moved she is off, screaming , barking and whaling away, completely hysterical

My other boys used to get excitable and fairly vocal however, this is on another level. I have tried lots of different methods, putting her harness on but not going out and waiting until she calms down, making her stop until settled , treats when walking. I have also taken her out different times and done a few random walks during the day and each time we go it's the same result, i have ignored the hysterical behaviour and praised her when she is calm, however this tends to set her off again. I have pretty much exhausted every avenue.

She continues to scream at everything out on our walk for 20 minutes until she calms down, even a carry bag she will start to try holding some form of screaming competition with, and whilst she is clearing her lungs she is oblivious to me as so focused on airing her opinion

It's not ideal if I'm trying to walk her early in the morning or later in the evening as she literally screams the close down.

She is 7 years old, and I've had her for a year. I do not know a lot about her, she was living with an older couple who where disabled and she didn't have the quality of life she should, so I took her on. She was very skittish with men, but I worked on this with her and she isn't so mistrusting with males now. Absolutely amazing dog, 110% with everything I would just like to see if I can calm her when setting out for walks as I am worried this is causing her some form of anxiety.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Well done for giving her a chance in a loving home!
Maybe some mental stimulation with harness on before you set out? Hand target training, or lead her about the home and garden with her walking kit on as many times a day as you can, we did lead training in the home with Amy and it has helped her to focus on is more when out ( mostly!!)
Good luck [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Have u looked into getting a behaviourist in for her? Was she ever walked by her previous owners?

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

We had been told she was walked but I'm not so sure, she's brilliant when she has calmed it's the initial 20 mins, I spoke to one who recommend a vibrate correction collar which I decided against, I will deffo have a look at other behaviourist thank you [emoji4]

Well done for giving her a chance in a loving home!
Maybe some mental stimulation with harness on before you set out? Hand target training, or lead her about the home and garden with her walking kit on as many times a day as you can, we did lead training in the home with Amy and it has helped her to focus on is more when out ( mostly!!)
Good luck [emoji3]

Aww thank you. I will give this a go , didn't even think of you suggestion. I have left her harness on in the home , but didn't walk her around thank you again

Thank you for saying no to the correction collar! They do a lot more harm than good.

I would definitely recommend a behaviourist, I had one round at my house last week. He was from my local rescue, he usually deals with the aggressive animals there but he does freelance work for pretty much any behavioural problem. Maybe try contacting your local rescues and see if they have/know anyone that can help :)

Thank you for saying no to the correction collar! They do a lot more harm than good.

I would definitely recommend a behaviourist, I had one round at my house last week. He was from my local rescue, he usually deals with the aggressive animals there but he does freelance work for pretty much any behavioural problem. Maybe try contacting your local rescues and see if they have/know anyone that can help [emoji4]

I will certainly give it a try. She is my third rescue all three have had their little quirks, which with time,reassurance, loads of patience and TLC we managed to make sure they where happy, and settled and undo all the wrong that the poor guys had been exposed too. she has just been a bit more challenging, It could be just her little trademark which is fine, I just want to rule out anything anxiety related and make sure she is truly happy. I can always invest in some headphones for the start of our walk [emoji4]

It sounds like she has ended up in her perfect forever home, home you get her 'quirks' under control soon rescuing is hard work but so worth it - again, all the best with going forward [emoji3]

Archived