Food for a puppy

Geneses & Leo

Hello!

A few days ago we got a husky puppy that we named Leo and who will be 6 weeks on Wednesday (03/22). I'm feeding him with "Supplemented Milk" in powder. He seems to eat all day and I don't know if I'm doing the right thing. I feel like he's not getting enough and he's still hungry. He doesn't seem to be having any stomach problems. He's very playful and is starting to learn how to "bite". I've read about the best dry foods and found that "Taste of the Wild" is the best one out there (according to a website related to huskies). The problem I have is that I don't know which one to pick for Leo and I don't know when I should start introducing him to it. I would also like to know which foods are good and bad for him! TIA

Here's a picture of Leo. Isn't he adorable?

image.jpeg

Hi can I ask why you got him so young? A puppy should be with its mother until 8 weeks!

Food wise taste of the wild and Canagan are good, but with him being so young I'm not sure when he should be on solids

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Oh wow. Ummm I doubt that too many of us here will have cared for a pup under 8 weeks before. That's very young indeed. [emoji20]
So I did a quick google search so I could at least say something, lol. He should be starting to gradually wean over to solids now. The site I saw (pets webMD I think) stated you could start weaning around 4 weeks of age with the aim to be fully weaned by 7-8 weeks old. What I can't tell you however is exactly how to wean them. Maybe the breeder would be able to advise you there? They are supposed to offer some form of aftercare as far as I'm aware.

He is adorable, but yeah I am not sure what kind of food to transition them on at that young age.  The two I had from puppies were 10 weeks and 8 weeks old before I took them home.

I know! Apparently the owners were in a rush to get all the puppies out. Either way Leo is well taken care of at our house! The supplemented milk says that it's for puppies from 4-8 weeks. He eats multiple times throughout the day and night. So probably I'd do some more research and start feeding him solids after 8 weeks! 

I know! Apparently the owners were in a rush to get all the puppies out. Either way Leo is well taken care of at our house! The supplemented milk says that it's for puppies from 4-8 weeks. He eats multiple times throughout the day and night. So probably I'd do some more research and start feeding him solids after 8 weeks! 

That is really awful, the breeders should be reported

Just to let you know because he has been taken away so young he is more likely to have behavioural issues such as separation anxiety

May I suggest that if the breeders are a bit dodgy then you try phoning your vets for advise regarding the feeding? Because they're so little I honestly think that a little back up from the professionals would be a good idea.

Archived