Looking for another husky

Whiskey902

As the title says I want to get another husky but the only place I can find or possibly find one where I got my first one from, I have a 15month old male,

Should I try to find one from a different breeder or would it be better to try and get one from his family, probably would get another male .. not looking to breed just want him to have a friend he's always trying to play with the cats..they are just a little to small lol 6144b6701fe3eec8d6310ca3bed8439e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners mobile app

We have three Huskies, one female and two males. Zoya, the female, will be nine this year. She's been in the family since a pup. Rohn will be three this year. He too, has been in the family since a pup. And then there is Luke. He will also be three this year. Luke is a rescue, who has been in the family since last June. The one thing I can say about Luke, he really appreciates us. He had a miserable existence at his first home. A great rescue took Luke in, worked with him, and after a few months he came home to us. Yes it was a challenge for awhile, with Luke. But eventually, everything smoothed out, Luke became accustomed to his new home, and now the pack is like a finely tuned team.

The advantage to going with a rescue, you can normally introduce your dog and the rescue at a neutral location, and see how they get along. Two or three meets beforehand is a good approach. If there is an issue, you know ahead of bringing another dog into the family, if it will or will not work. Buy a puppy, and it's yours, whether it works out or not.

So I would encourage you to consider a rescue.

My first dog, Nikko, I got as a 9 week old puppy.  After a few months I realized he needed a playmate, so I got my 2nd as an 8 week old pup, Yukon.  They bonded instantly!  I decided to go with a puppy because I was afraid of bringing a dog with an unknown history in.  Before deciding, I took Nikko to meet with a few other dogs and the meetings didn't go well.  After about a year I got my third husky, Kodiak, and he was a rescue.  I took Nikko to visit and they got along right off the bat, even on the 2 hour trip back home. Although they got along at first, we had several incidents over the next 6-12 months.  They would get into some fights, and a couple drew blood and made Nikko afraid to get close to him.  I was heartbroken bu the eventually came around and today they are best of friends.  So, although you may need to work on a rescue a little, I think it is very rewarding.  For me, just thinking about going through the puppy stage is exhausting!

Archived