Labor and delivery

Larky

Just a bit of background information. My dad's had dogs for more than 20 years and has delivered quite a few litters. However, recently we got a new husky who was pregnant, and I was not very satisfied with how the delivery was handled. Basically, I want to know what to do in the future just in case I happen to have a pregnant dog.

The day of delivery itself was a surprise. My dad knew that it would be any day now but was just as surprised as us when we spotted a puppy at 10 am. Based on the sticky thread, I suppose my dad should've been checking the temperature every 3-4 hours?  We didn't know where the first puppy's sack was, and we assumed the mom had eaten it. Unfortunately, the puppy wasn't moving by the time we found it. Could we have done resuscitation measures? The second puppy was apparently well, but on the second night, the mother decided to carry the puppy away from the lamp and left it on the cold marble floor. By the time we found the puppy in the morning, it was very cold and sluggish. We tried placing it back near to the heated lamp and dropper fed it since it wasn't suckling anymore. The puppy remained sluggish until the fifth day of life. Dropper feeding was maintained. Some time in the afternoon, we noted there was red fluid (we presumed it was blood that was coughed out?) and the puppy ceased breathing soon after. Did the puppy aspirate from the feeding, and could we have done anything better? I am deeply devastated with the loss of the entire litter. 

Sorry for the issues. In all honesty, not many of us, if any, on this forum are breeders and so don't know all the ins and outs of whelping and care of new born pups.  I'm afraid I would not be able to provide you much in the way of answers.

• Like 1

Hidden

Its possible that it did. If you plan to have another litter you should sit down with your vet and learn tube feeding and general whelping skills. How much was know about the bitch and dog? Or was the female just found and brought home? Theriogenology is the term for the study of animal reproduction. Coursera has classes available on occasion for free. I recommend adding yourself to the site and taking one if available.

Theres just a lot of things that can go wrong in whelping.

• Like 1