Started urinating when clean for years.

Jodi

Over the last few months, my two male dogs who both became house trained as puppies, now 3 and 5 years old have started urinating against furniture, typically sofa and table legs.  Normally in the same spots, to the point several legs of the table and sofa are permanently wrapped in newspaper.

Does anyone have any idea why they might of started this habit, or how to break it, when as I mentioned both dogs were clean before and the door is always open for them to go into the garden.

Thank you.

Yes and no, I have moved back for a few months from the US because of ill health, but I was around from when they were puppies, but apparently they have been doing it from just before I moved back, again I have changed the routine slightly, but only by an hour or so.

There is two female, and two male Huskies, and it seems to be the older male who is urinating the most, some days 3 or 4 times.

If one is fixed and the other not, that could be the cause, or if both are not fixed, that could also be the cause.  UTI as Tina indicated.  If one has it and pees, the other will pee even if he's not suffering from UTI.  If a dog from a previous resident had peed in the general area, and the odor is still availing itself to your dogs, that could be the cause.  Just some other ideas.  Best to eliminate one at a time til hopefully, you'll come to the underlying cause.

Neither male dog is fixed, however both females are.  They have managed to live in the same house for a couple of years without doing it though.  

Neither has a UTI infection that I know about, although one of the females did have one several months ago, however when she had an accident it was a puddle in the middle of the floor, not a lift your leg up a table leg, if you understand what I mean.

It almost seems to have become a habit now though, have thought about getting the main culprit fixed, but not sure if it would fix the problem.

But thank you for the suggestions, will try them all out.

If neither have been neutered then they could be scent marking and having a  bit of a "peeing contest" quite literally, lol.  

See if you can find a cleaner specifically designed to remove pet urine as regular detergents just mask the smell from us, the dogs can still smell the urine as their sense of smell is much more powerful.  

Thank you for all the advice, just ordered a UV light, to detect all the spots, and two different brands of pet stain and odour remove to see if either work.  Starting to think it all started when the female dog had a UTI and several accidents in the house and has continued and got worse since then.

The two boys have had an olympic grade peeing contest today so desperate measures.