Dog Parks

loremistress

I thourght they were things from myths & legends,certainly don't know of any round this neck of the woods.

local councils seem to prefer banning dogs from areas rather than providing secure parks but thats probably because there's still a lot of people who can't be bothered to clean up after them.

I'm often told how 'lucky' I am to live near a dog park .... it was a council-run bowling area, had 3 bowling greens on it, but after bowling stopped there, it was left for ages overgrown with weeds, etc. till some local dog walkers got together & pushed to change it into a secure dog area. It had a 10' steel fence put round with 2 lockable gates & (only) 1 doggy bin & is perfect for our huskies.

It didn't happen overnight, but all I can suggest is approach your local councillor when they hold their surgery & if you know of some derelict land, large playing field that can accommodate a dog park or something of the like, ask them about getting it changed --- and keep asking! Their warden could patrol it & make sure people clean up after their dogs, etc.

I have actually been talking to our council about having a dog park in Mirfield and they did say they would see what they could do, although I haven't heard anything from them for a couple of months so I am going to try emailing again! There aren't any dog parks in the whole of Kirklees, didn't check Wakefield though.

we don't have a dog park but we do have a large secure field with 2 lockable gates, where every one takes their dogs for off lead time and the council have put 2 dog bins in now, so i guess you could say it's been taken over lol.

in one corner it does have a park for lil kids with it's own fence so the dogs can't get in which is great xxx

Have noticed a few people mentioning meeting at them, but never used one before. I get the impression they do pretty much whats said on the tinwink.gif.

Is there a list of the parks on line or is it just by local knowledge? If so could we maybe start a list of the parks by area?

xxx

Huntress thats the best idea I've heard in AGES! Well done! Yep everyone who knows of a secure area near where you live should post it up.... Im currently investigating one I've been told about in Bestwood Nottingham so soon as I get a better idea of where it is and how good it is will let you all know.... If its rubbish then deffinatly going to consider writing to my local council... anyone with experience whos best to contact? local or county, any one department within that???