Introducing a puppy to adult huskies.

Lana

So this is the first time in a very long time that i have had to introduce a puppy (7 1/2 week old) to Lana (18 months) and Nanook (2years). Seeing that Lana and Nanook are my first huskies i just want to ask you huskies owners what i need to keep an eye out for.

Nanook is taking to her pretty well. Letting Renesmee just, play, nibble on him with out a growl. He wants to play with her like he does Lana but then he backs off and lay down. Lana on the other hand does something strange. Not the aggression that would send out warning signs. She sniffs then paws Renesmee sometimes which then cause Renesmee to growl and then really nap at Lana. Lana jumps back and run away and never bit, snap or growl back. Then Lana will go back to her paw her again then run.

So what are some huskies behaviors that i need to keep and eye on?

So this is the first time in a very long time that i have had to introduce a puppy (7 1/2 week old) to Lana (18 months) and Nanook (2years). Seeing that Lana and Nanook are my first huskies i just want to ask you huskies owners what i need to keep an eye out for.

Nanook is taking to her pretty well. Letting Renesmee just, play, nibble on him with out a growl. He wants to play with her like he does Lana but then he backs off and lay down. Lana on the other hand does something strange. Not the aggression that would send out warning signs. She sniffs then paws Renesmee sometimes which then cause Renesmee to growl and then really nap at Lana. Lana jumps back and run away and never bit, snap or growl back. Then Lana will go back to her paw her again then run.

So what are some huskies behaviors that i need to keep and eye on?

I personally would break the snapping habit now. Renesmee is probably just playing around right now, but that can turn into a dominance issue later and possibly real fighting rather than play.

Frost was doing the same thing and we're working to correct the biting behavior. I don't even care if she runs and screams at the top of her lungs in the house, just as long as she doesn't bite anyone including Pharaoh.

I personally would break the snapping habit now. Renesmee is probably just playing around right now, but that can turn into a dominance issue later and possibly real fighting rather than play.

Frost was doing the same thing and we're working to correct the biting behavior. I don't even care if she runs and screams at the top of her lungs in the house, just as long as she doesn't bite anyone including Pharaoh.

You do make a very good point and it has been taken. Thank you for the response

When i first introdced Kimba and Kaiser, Kaiser was always play fighting with Kimba he just lay there and took it - bless him biggrin.gif they learnt through this that when mummy said ENOUGH that they stopped, they also gre to understand each others boundaries as well.

I think a little rough and tuble is good for them but keep an eye out for any behaviour that looks a bit too dominant :)

Thanks sarah! Well Lana knows when i say stop that's what it means. Lana doesnt do anything in fact today when i said stop to the both of then lana just laid there while Renesemee was bitting her. I told Lana good girl for taking it without hurting Renesemee and for listening. I tap Renesemee on her bottom for not listening.

This morning they were play and i notice Lana using the front of her teeth like nibbles where as with Nanook when they play she uses her whole mouth and tug/pull. Lana nippled at her but softly you didn't even hear her teeth touch. Then she would nudge Renesemee with her noise.

When Renesemee was biting on Lana's ears after Lana moved, Lana put her in her place. I allowed it because it's something i have to let happen to a safe point. Lana was great she just nipped at her. I watch it wasn't a bit at all just enough to tell her to stop. Then Lana Lick Renesemee.

This is a lot better than the first night Renesemee and Lana were together. Lana would paw her, run her over. Didnt really know what to make out of it. I know Lana has chased other little dogs in the past (one as of two weeks ago or so) like they are little game. SHe would try to bit them on the neck and pinned them down. That behavior was corrected. Lana now seems aware of Renesemee presences and as far as Nanook....he is a very good boy around the puppy. He would let her play and play and when he had enough he would just move.