Question about Pitbulls

To be honest Im feeling a bit heated, but this is an honest question.

I realize that we are husy (and aparently huskamute, lol) people here but

im sure there is at least one person who might know something.

I was on one of our local free ads sites today (kijiji) and looked at an ad

that someone posted about "shorties" shorter pitbulls. It says they are

rare and blah blah blah, then says they want $3,500.00 per pup!

Is this really a rare type of pitbull or is it a new fad? it seems its gotta be

some sort of new fad/rip off, and with the sheer number of pitbulls on the

islands it just makes me curious if its some get rich quick scheme by a local

pit breeder to make his/her dogs seem like something special. It says they

are special and dual registry, but if they are such a new breed, then how

are they registered...?

Im really interested to know, but please dont ring my neck if Im wrong, ok?

lol.

http://honolulu.kijiji.com/dogs-puppies/kaunakakai/shorties-available-and-affordable-rare-find-and-cute-as-heck/?ad=1355798

FOund this on another site

"History: The Shorty Bull is a recent but determined program. The Shorty Bull is a miniature Bulldog but contains no Boston or Pug influence like many programs breeding Small or Miniature Bulldogs. This takes more time not using a quick fix but working with the correct foundation which is still being added as more breeders and generations develop for a wider gene pool. The Shorty Bull is a modern Day miniature Bulldog that is lacking none of the athletic ability in many modern bully breeds. Many Bulldogs have been recreated in the last 20 years and since the time Man created Bulldog there have been many variants and differences in mainly what was due to a location and its genetic gene pool. The Shorty Bull is a modern Bulldog program that in days of old are selected and bred based on working ability and physical traits and not on looks alone, although they are good looking dogs. The Shorty Bull is surely here to stay and a welcomed physical specimen to the modern Bulldog world.History: The Shorty Bull is a recent but determined program. The Shorty Bull is a miniature Bulldog but contains no Boston or Pug influence like many programs breeding Small or Miniature Bulldogs. This takes more time not using a quick fix but working with the correct foundation which is still being added as more breeders and generations develop for a wider gene pool. The Shorty Bull is a modern Day miniature Bulldog that is lacking none of the athletic ability in many modern bully breeds. Many Bulldogs have been recreated in the last 20 years and since the time Man created Bulldog there have been many variants and differences in mainly what was due to a location and its genetic gene pool. The Shorty Bull is a modern Bulldog program that in days of old are selected and bred based on working ability and physical traits and not on looks alone, although they are good looking dogs. The Shorty Bull is surely here to stay and a welcomed physical specimen to the modern Bulldog world."

Very interesting, thank you sarah. Was just curious since Ive never heard of this before.

They are kind of cute, just thought it was odd to see the people asking for $3,500.00 a

pup, but I guess it makes some sense if they are trying to create a new line. It will be hard

to keep the line pure though, i think, considering that im sure there will be folks buying these

cute little shorties and then just breeding them with whatever bully they have or can get.

I personally like english bulldogs and think they are truly the cutest bullies, lol. could it be

that maybe americans are just breeding shorties to get americanized english bullies?

See I was wondering because they seem so simillar...but i guess you never know :)

To each his own I suppose, although when I get my bulldog one day I wont be going

for a pup who will cost more than $1,000.00 because Im not breeding or showing. I

just think that more than $1,000 is too steep...then again im a penny pincher, lol.

Erika, if you go to a reputable breeder for an English bull dog then you will have to pay those kind of prices. They have all sorts of medical issues, and the bitches have a lot of trouble giving birth to the pups, so they are mainly born by ceasarian, so they cost a lot of money if the breeder has done all of the relevant health checks etc.

However, if you want to go to a non reputable breeder, I'm sure you could get one cheapertongue.gif

hey,

Over here a pit is classed by matching up with various measurments, body shapes/features and blood testing. Techincally a pitbull can come from any two bull breeds put together that produced something that matches up as a pit.

I have seen many dogs sold as lab x staff, or mastiff x staff that measure up to be a pit.

I know in america in some states they are a legal breed so i dont know if there are breed specifications for them which will or will not make them a pit

hey,

Over here a pit is classed by matching up with various measurments, body shapes/features and blood testing. Techincally a pitbull can come from any two bull breeds put together that produced something that matches up as a pit.

I have seen many dogs sold as lab x staff, or mastiff x staff that measure up to be a pit.

I know in america in some states they are a legal breed so i dont know if there are breed specifications for them which will or will not make them a pit

"pit bull" is just a generic term to include a variety of dogs and breeds, just like the term "husky. Some pit Bull breeds include,

English Bull terrier

American Pit Bull Terrier

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

American Staffordshire Terrier

All are registerable breeds. All but the American Pit Bull Terrier can be registered in the United Kennel Club. With the UKC the APBT is simply registered as an American Staffordshire Terrier even though they are technically two different breeds with a lot of similarities.

"pit bull" is just a generic term to include a variety of dogs and breeds"

Not heard that one before, especially odd as i work with them. Bull breeds class various types of dogs, however PitBull is a specific dog within the bull breeds catagory...

I notice you are in the UK, I am in North America, perhaps its different interpretations in each other's regions. I too work with Bull Breeds. Some who do PP work others who are hog hunters. I've also aided in the rescue of pits from dog fighters. The argument of how the term "pit bull" is a blanket term and doesn't specify one particular breed of dog is one that we have used in our fight against BSL too. How can one ban a "breed" that doesn't even exist?

How can one ban a "breed" that doesn't even exist?

Exactly. the dangerous dogs act over here is rubbish and its going through changes at the moment. The idea is to take breeds off the list and have it based on a dogs behaviour rather than what it is. The new proposed act will effectivly persicute the bad owner rather than the breed of dog.

"perhaps its different interpretations in each other's regions"

Quite possibly. its never come up on a training course or from an "expert" (which i am far from). The pits i work with are sometimes family pets who come to be rehomed because they think/say its something else (which is always very sad because 99% of the time they are lovely dogs) and the other set are the ones who have been used for fighting or possess an aggressive streak towards humans/animals.