Help please for howling Malamute

ISDW

I have a friend with a Malamute who howls constantly when they leave the house. He never does it when they're home, he sleeps downstairs in his crate, and is quiet at night, even though he can't see them. If they're out in the garden, he doesn't do it, it is only if they have all left the house. They have tried going out the back door etc, but it doesn't make any difference.

He will howl for the entire time they are out, they have set up a webcam with a live feed to check on him, and he just doesn't stop. They have tried putting him in his crate, leaving him out of his crate. They give him kongs, bones etc, he won't touch anything until they come home, then he will start to eat them. Its doesnt matter how much exercise he's had immediately before they leave or anything. They have tried ignoring him when they come in, and just before they go out, etc. etc, etc.

They are at their wits end.

sounds like abandonment issues or separation anxiety. Pack dogs do not like to be alone. My suggestion is they work with an animal behaviorist. Huskys often suffer from the same thing and I know at least one moderator(past moderator?) here has suffered from similar issues. Hopefully they are able to respond.

I think i remember who it was that was having the issues and i think she is back on the site. Hopefully she will be able to shed some light on this.

Well they wondered if it was seperation anxiety, but would he not also display this behaviour at night, when he can't see them?

They have done the whole Amichien bonding thing with since they got him as a pup. THey have a young daughter and never wanted him to feel that he was in charge of any of them, especially not her. So they have all taken turns in feeding him, they eat before him, go through doors before him etc etc.

We leave a radio on for Zoya. She likes talk radio the best for some reason, so we put on a NPR (National Public Radio) station.

Have they got any family video's they can leave on - so he can hear them - or maybe an item of old clothing with their scent on?

Or - random thought - go back to basics with the crate training, leaving him in for 2 mins then going back then extending the time left alone etc etc - you know the drill :)

All of those suggestions are really good, try sarahs especially. Otherwise I would also like to recommend the anti bark citronella collars.

Many owners of dogs that bark and howl excessively have said that this really works. One owner said she only had to use it on her dog

for about 2 weeks, and then he was not doing that barking howling mess when the family was out of the house.

Also, I would like to suggest that they should do the crate training again adding a couple of steps. First they will need to teach him that

when he is in his crate he must relax. They should place the crate near the end of a sofa or chair in the family room where they can sit

comfortably and leave just enough space between the crate and the sofa or chair so that the dog can lay between them. He will have

to be on a leash at first and will need to lay down and relax near the crate. Once he is laying down peacefully they should toss some

cheese or a treat into the crate, when he goes into the crate and is grabbing the treat, he should be praised. Once he has done this

about 8 to 10 times without hesitation, then they should add another step. The second set should go like this: he lays down near the

crate and relaxes quietly, they toss in the treat, and when he goes in the one working with him should get up and go stand at the

crate doorway with it still open. If he whines, barks or howls they should get one step closer to the crate but not acknowlege him in

any way until he is quiet, oince he has been quiet a few seconds, he should be praised, and if he isnt already he should be told to sit.

if he wasnt sitting but does when he is asked, he shouuld be praised and given a treat. He should not be allowed to exit the crate until

he sits calmly, at which time he should get a treat, the person should back off a bit and invite him out of the crate to come lay down

quietly by the crate. Once he has done the second step 8 to 10 times successfully and has reached 30 seconds of sitting quietly when

asked, then they should move on to the last step. In the last step they will replace the sit with down or lay down. In this step they will

keep going with the training until he fully and naturally relaxes in the down postition with his head in a resting postition as if he is asleep

or will go to sleep. They should have him relax by the crate, toos in the treat, when he goes in, they then move to the front of the crate

doorway and tell him to lay down. (if for some reason he is resisting they should have him sit until he relaxes and then tell him to lay down).

Sometimes dogs are more receptive this way. each time when he fully relaxes in the down position with his head resting, he should be

praised and invited out of the crate to relax near it again. With this one you will keep doing it until he successfully rests in the down

position for at least a full minute. once he has reached a minute of complete relaxation before you invite him out, then they should start

to never let him out of his crate unless he is laying down or sitting and is quiet. If he goes through all this training and then they begin

to allow him out of his crate at any time without him sitting or laying quietly, they will end up starting over.

One more thing, if he is quiet at night when it is dark and the house is quiet, they should also try getting a crate cover or blanket, and

covering the crate during the day to make it dark in the crate. NO lights should be on in the house and if his crate is near windows that

usually stay open and let in alot of light, the blinds or curtains should be closed. The house should be quiet as if it is night. Sometimes

dogs are just like people and cannot fully relax and rest when their environment is busy and well lit. So it may help to make his crate

dark inside like a den, so he will/may rest naturally. Depending on his age this may or may not work as after 6 or 7 months they start

to pull fabric and pull it through into the crate and chew and tear at it.

Thanks guys for the advice, I'll pass it all on.

Erika, the thing with the crate though is that he's more than happy in it all the time, except when they go out. He will take himself off to his crate during the day no problem. It is a vari-kennel type, so its already fairly dark in there.

They're going right back to the very, very beginning with him again.

I had suggested they get a mannequin and dress it in their clothes, and leave it somewhere that he could see it, but not get to. LOL So the video thing could also help in that.

THey even got a mirror, so that he could see himself, and not think he was alone. Apparently all that happened was he was barking at himself all the time, even when they were in. LOL