Raw food???

Good mornign all,

I recently put my Husky on a raw food diet. I was at my wits end; she has a gastro intestinal problem, so I went with the raw food diet. It's been about one week and she has taken to deficate while she eats. By ""taken" I mean she has done it 3 times. I have been researching all morning and I can not come up with any answers. I am very baffled. My husband is very close to rehoming her. We have had her for about five months and are very tired of cleaning up poop in the house. BTW; it's always diahrea sad.gif Any ideas, suggestions, theories are welcome.

Good mornign all,

I recently put my Husky on a raw food diet. I was at my wits end; she has a gastro intestinal problem, so I went with the raw food diet. It's been about one week and she has taken to deficate while she eats. By ""taken" I mean she has done it 3 times. I have been researching all morning and I can not come up with any answers. I am very baffled. My husband is very close to rehoming her. We have had her for about five months and are very tired of cleaning up poop in the house. BTW; it's always diahrea sad.gif Any ideas, suggestions, theories are welcome.

what exactly are you feeding as part of the diet? the wrong balance of ingredients can cause an upset stomach??

can you either post on here or PM me the diet plan of what shes getting as i will be able to help you more

Okay here is her history:

We got her from the pet store on kibble. Some expensive brand premium food. When we got her home she had diarrhea every time she went. I gradually changed her food to some other premium brand kibble, still no change. We went through about 4 different brand premium kibble. I decided on raw food about 1 wk ago. she did okay the first two days and then I noticed that she had peed on her couch. I was very confused because I thought dogs don't go where they sleep. Anyhow, I moved on. About two days ago she pooped in the room where she her couch is. Nothing new really, she has had accidents there before. So today, I fed her in the kitchen area and she pooped and peed about two feet away from her food bowl. I left her to her food for about 15 min.

Diet: I have mainly feed her chicken. I have given fish and beef, but for the most part she gets chicken.

I was thinking it's some kind of instinctive "stay away from my food" reaction on her part. Am i way off. What do you think. Now mind you, she did not react that way with kibble. She still had diarrhea, but it was outside when I walked her.

Sylvia.

I dont believe that you have mentioned vegetables at all so... From the nutrition side you have to feed her more then just meat. I have heard of some feeding them broccoli or carrots with some rice. From what I am told Rice is good for clearing up diarea as well though there are differing opinions on rice. You many also want to try a Veterinarian Kibble. Than can help with the diarrhea as well. I had a problem with Kino and Diarrhea and switching him to bottled water as well as using the Vet Kibble for a few weeks helped. Now Kino is still on bottled water and Iams Healthy Naturals for Puppies and everything has balanced out.

Accidents will happen especially with puppies. I had to take kino out before and after meals for a while after first getting him. There are other threads on this site about how to deal with accidents.

Below is a segment from another thread that can help you out if you want to continue with the raw diet.

The other part of raw feeding is the veggies and fruit that you can add, they don’t need tons of veggies but even wolves in the wild would snack on berries and plants and son on. I feed 80% raw and 20% veggies and fruit.

Veggies to feed >> And any other veggies you can think of:

-Carrots

-Peas

-Broccoli

-Spinach

-Cauliflower

-Sprouts

-Plantain

- I tend to stay away from corn as it seems to go straight through them!

Some people cook them and some feed them raw, for me it depends on their meal, but if I do steam them I get the veggie juice at the bottom, wait for it to cool and add it to their food, as this is actually the best part. Some dogs can be a bit fussy if the raw veggies are too hard to eat, so you can blend them to make it easier for them, or semi steam them so there still crunchy.

Fruits:

-Apple

-Melon

-Banana

-Tomato

I always make sure the pips and seeds are removed before serving, they tent to go straight through them however can remain in the gut for a long time, so best to remove them.

You don't say how old your girl is, but full housebreaking takes time.

As for Diarrhoea: Is she up to date with vaccinations and very importantly, worming?

Raw chicken and live culture products like actimel will usually clear up diarrhoea pretty quickly assuming theres no worm load aggrivating the issue.

Fruit and veg are fine, BUT I personally would reccomend feeding products of the brassica family (broccali, cabbage, cauliflower,spinach and sprouts in extreme moderation. Dogs connot metabolise iron of vegatable source, and it can build up in the liver and cause problems. Carrots are fine, and other veg you can use include squash, potato and sweet potato, eggfruit etc.

When I went withthe raw food, I had read that veggies and fruits were not essential. Apparently, they are carnivours so they do well with meats. I think I will impliment some veggies and fruits though. However, I do not want to tax her system. There have been so many changes already. I know the vet will put her back on kibble, I don't think I want to go that route yet. I just want to know why she is pooping and peeing in her quarters and so close to her food. I usually let her out before she eats and after ???????

Okay here is her history:

We got her from the pet store on kibble.

This could be your culprit to her very odd behavior. In fact, I can almost guarantee it is. Considering the fact that you bought her from a pet store in the USA, almost always guarantees that your puppy came from a puppy mill. Most dogs will never defecate near their food, especially in an open area. That is a huge red flag. Unfortunately the majority of dogs that do come from puppy mills have an array of health issues. A breeding bitch can pop out up to 4-6 litters within a 3-4 month period. That's just asking for trouble.

Have you talked to a vet yet? That would be the first thing I would do, as she could have some serious illnesses/health issues.

And yes dogs are naturally carnivorous, however, through years of domestication they have learned to become quite omnivorous. Meats will never supply some of the nutrients and minerals that vegetables and fruits can.

When I went withthe raw food, I had read that veggies and fruits were not essential. Apparently, they are carnivours so they do well with meats. I think I will impliment some veggies and fruits though. However, I do not want to tax her system. There have been so many changes already. I know the vet will put her back on kibble, I don't think I want to go that route yet. I just want to know why she is pooping and peeing in her quarters and so close to her food. I usually let her out before she eats and after ???????

Yes they are carnivores, but they would eat the stomach of a herbivore, and so would get the nutrients from the grass etc that the animal would have eaten. That is why if you give them vegetables, you need to puree them. I will often give my lot bits of carrots to chew on, but they come out the other end virtually the same as they went in, so they've not been digested.

This could be your culprit to her very odd behavior. In fact, I can almost guarantee it is. Considering the fact that you bought her from a pet store in the USA, almost always guarantees that your puppy came from a puppy mill. Most dogs will never defecate near their food, especially in an open area. That is a huge red flag. Unfortunately the majority of dogs that do come from puppy mills have an array of health issues. A breeding bitch can pop out up to 4-6 litters within a 3-4 month period. That's just asking for trouble.

Have you talked to a vet yet? That would be the first thing I would do, as she could have some serious illnesses/health issues.

And yes dogs are naturally carnivorous, however, through years of domestication they have learned to become quite omnivorous. Meats will never supply some of the nutrients and minerals that vegetables and fruits can.

Here's the thing. She's been defecating outside until I started her on this diet. We have had her for about 4 months. I started her on this diet about 1 wk ago.

If it were my dog, here's what I would do.

1. Take a stool sample to the vet and have it checked for worms and other parasites.

2. Withhold food for 24 hours.

3. Start with a bland mix of steamed rice and boiled chicken, about a cup. Add a boiled egg or plain yogurt. If worms were present, start the wormer with feeding.

4. After a few days, gradually work in a grain-free kibble over the course of a few more days.

5. After you've got her stable, then return to the raw, if you want, again making the change gradual. Make sure to really research BARF and get the proper mix.

Nothing worse than poops in the house. I hope you get it resolved. Pet store pups are not always the best when it comes to health issues, so keep your fingers crossed. Good luck.

Here's the thing. She's been defecating outside until I started her on this diet. We have had her for about 4 months. I started her on this diet about 1 wk ago.

If she has been defecating outside up until you introduced to her to BARF, then I would suggest postponing her raw food diet. Mazz's advice is great and exactly the process I would do. Pet stores DO NOT health check their pups, so a vet visit is a must. She could have some very nasty parasites.. :(

Hi there, We have been reading this post with interest.

We feed a totally Raw Food Diet to our Huskies and the following link has been a God-send to us. We have found it to be invaluable !

We hate throw a spanner in to the works, but here is the informational website, for all Raw Food Feeders.

http://www.angelfire...chcontents.html

Sorry to hear your having problems, Mazz great reply added to rep

Hope you get things sorted, sibes have fussy tummies so a quick change to a different food could cause problems, I do find it baffling as do you as to why she is pooping right next to where she's eating :confused:

If she has been defecating outside up until you introduced to her to BARF, then I would suggest postponing her raw food diet. Mazz's advice is great and exactly the process I would do. Pet stores DO NOT health check their pups, so a vet visit is a must. She could have some very nasty parasites.. :(

Actually, Many pet stores do have their puppies checked by a local vet when they are brought in and again every 2 weeks to make sure they are up to date on shots. To my knowledge it is actually required by law in most parts of the USA that they come with up to date shots as well as have a vet visit. Many Pet stores will actually cover medical bills for medical issues that are found in the first 30 days if you take the dog to the vet within the first 72 hours. Mine covered the bills for getting rid of Kino's Kennel cough. Keep in mind though that i could be wrong and the law is only in my area. I also did a lot of research on the dog ahead of time including contacting the breeder that the dog originally came from.

But yes, I believe that a vet visit is a must and that she might be trying to tell you that something is wrong. could be that the raw food isn't making her feel well. could also be worms. Either way a vet visit and back to kibble for a bit is probably called for. Please let us know what ends up happening. Hope she feels better.

Actually, Many pet stores do have their puppies checked by a local vet when they are brought in and again every 2 weeks to make sure they are up to date on shots. To my knowledge it is actually required by law in most parts of the USA that they come with up to date shots as well as have a vet visit. Many Pet stores will actually cover medical bills for medical issues that are found in the first 30 days if you take the dog to the vet within the first 72 hours. Mine covered the bills for getting rid of Kino's Kennel cough. Keep in mind though that i could be wrong and the law is only in my area. I also did a lot of research on the dog ahead of time including contacting the breeder that the dog originally came from.

I'm sure just as many pets stores don't have Vets check on their pets as just as many do. It's especially bad in the US and really just depends on the pet store itself. A lot of pet stores are not going to spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars on Vet bills when the dogs they sell are relatively cheap compared to buying a dog from a breeder. And just because it is "required" by law does not mean it doesn't occur. Puppy mills in the US are a very serious problem. Most of them are breaking dozens of laws in order to pump out puppies as fast as possible without any regret or remorse for the breeding parents. We had a local pet store located in our mall here in my hometown that was shut down due to them not following the correct guidelines. And just recently, yet another pet store (that sold dogs from puppy mills) was also shut down for exactly the same reason. That's just an example of 2 pet stores in a small town of 100,000 people that does not exhibit the correct guidelines to even continue to stay open. Now imagine what pet stores in bigger cities like L.A., NY, Dallas, etc get away with.

However, I'm glad to hear that the specific pet store you acquired your pup from was legit. I believe that if you are going to go out and buy a pup from a pet store that you should without a doubt do as much research about that store and pup as you possibly can.

Cesar Millan even had an episode on the Dog Whisperer where he investigated a couple of puppy mills and was quite astonished himself. He also stated the majority of his clients (dogs) that he rehabilitates have more than likely been puppy mill pups, hence the extensive amount of work he has to do with them.

Hi Codybelle

I still can't see how old your pup is, but i'm presuming she's 6 or 7 months old if you got her from a pet store 5 months ago.

My pup Kiana got severe diarreah at abut the same age, we took her to the vets paid a fortune for special food and all results came back negative, she had no parasites or medical problems. After talking to Sarah she recommended i tried feeding her raw chicken wings, within 2 days her stools were back to normal, if anything the bones made them chalky.

I know you have tried raw and it hasn't worked, but I have another theory for you, Kiana was about to go into her first season and within a week of having diarreah went into her season. She also gets diarreah for a few days when she has her frontline flea treatment.

One other thing, was the kibble you were feeding her specifically for puppies? Adult food is harder on puppies.

If you do feed rice try and use brown rice, maybe with a bit of boiled chicken or boiled egg.

With regards to pooping and weeing near her food, how about feeding her near the door to the garden and leave the door open, maybe she has some sort of anxiety issue.

Please let us know how you get on as we'd hate for her to have to be rehomed due to a dietry/housebreaking problem.

Steve

Steve, that about the anxiety issue may well be true, she may be picking up on the anxiousness of her owner over her eating and pooping habits, so eating has become an anxious time for her as well. Which also wouldn't help her in digesting her food properly, don't know about you, but whenever I'm really worried about something, my stomach does very strange thingslaugh.gif

Steve, that about the anxiety issue may well be true, she may be picking up on the anxiousness of her owner over her eating and pooping habits, so eating has become an anxious time for her as well. Which also wouldn't help her in digesting her food properly, don't know about you, but whenever I'm really worried about something, my stomach does very strange thingslaugh.gif

I agree completely Karen, anxiety/worry gives me a terrible pit in my stomach.

Had the same problem with my puppy for almost two month when we first got him. Someone told me that Huskies can't tolerate the milk in the puppy food so we stop giving it to him. Well, problem solved, no more diahrea. After a month we have introduced the puppy food back into his diet mixed in with regular dog (dry) food, he also get Vitamin Supplement with Liver & Iron and Omega3 Fish Oil

I'm sure just as many pets stores don't have Vets check on their pets as just as many do. It's especially bad in the US and really just depends on the pet store itself. A lot of pet stores are not going to spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars on Vet bills when the dogs they sell are relatively cheap compared to buying a dog from a breeder. And just because it is "required" by law does not mean it doesn't occur. Puppy mills in the US are a very serious problem. Most of them are breaking dozens of laws in order to pump out puppies as fast as possible without any regret or remorse for the breeding parents. We had a local pet store located in our mall here in my hometown that was shut down due to them not following the correct guidelines. And just recently, yet another pet store (that sold dogs from puppy mills) was also shut down for exactly the same reason. That's just an example of 2 pet stores in a small town of 100,000 people that does not exhibit the correct guidelines to even continue to stay open. Now imagine what pet stores in bigger cities like L.A., NY, Dallas, etc get away with.

However, I'm glad to hear that the specific pet store you acquired your pup from was legit. I believe that if you are going to go out and buy a pup from a pet store that you should without a doubt do as much research about that store and pup as you possibly can.

Cesar Millan even had an episode on the Dog Whisperer where he investigated a couple of puppy mills and was quite astonished himself. He also stated the majority of his clients (dogs) that he rehabilitates have more than likely been puppy mill pups, hence the extensive amount of work he has to do with them.

Oh no... I agree that puppy mills are a big problem especially in the USA. And yes i understand that many pet stores still get away with a lot. I was just pointing out that they aren't all like that. I find that you get a better chance of the pet store being reputable if it is part of a chain. Only because there is more pressure put on the individual locations by the company to keep their name clean.

Oh yah... and i gave you rep... that was a great reply

smile.gifthanks to you all for the great advice. I will be taking Cody to her 1year shot on Sat and will be testing her for all of the above. I will keep her on Raw food until the tests come back. I do not want to change her diet yet again. At least not until the tests come back and will do so if I need to. I will keep you posted on her progress.

Thanks again

smile.gifthanks to you all for the great advice. I will be taking Cody to her 1year shot on Sat and will be testing her for all of the above. I will keep her on Raw food until the tests come back. I do not want to change her diet yet again. At least not until the tests come back and will do so if I need to. I will keep you posted on her progress.

Thanks again

I would start to get the diarrhea under control before Saturday. Dogs become dehydrated quite quickly when suffering from diarrhea. I would still withhold food now for 24 hours, then start the rice and chicken. Continuing to feed raw without a 24 hour fast and getting the diarrhea under control may not be the best course.