Grooming Problems

So Kaidan is blowing his coat for the first time since we got him (about 2 months ago). I've been struggling with him on finding a good grooming ritual. Like I've said in previous posts, he was neglected prior to us rescuing him. When we first got him his hind legs were literally two very huge dreads with paws attached. He acted as if he'd never seen a brush in his life, and getting near him with one was a challenging and experience. We didn't get far before we decided to give up and take him to get groomed. Now his hair is all tangle free, but because he's blowing his coat, I've been brushing him daily.

I always give him treats as soon as I pull out the brush from the grooming closet. I put on music that calms me down so that he understands that I'm calm and that he's in a safe environment. I've been successful after long walks. He gets too tired to move and I brush him while he's down. Majority of the time he paces. Back and fourth. We can do this dance for an hour. I'm very calm, patient, and persistent. I never get fed up or stressed out when it comes to this. Teaching my other dog that brushes were a positive experience was very easy, but for Kaidan, it's something else.

I sometimes even run the opposite side of the brush (the smooth side with no teeth) down his back just so he gets used to the concept of me touching him with the brush. He still paces.

Any suggestions?

We plan on getting a grooming table when we move into a new house with more space. So this is an idea for the future.

Also, what else do you use when you groom your husky. I've looked into all different kinds of brushes and things. We ended up getting the FURminator for Christmas.

Woo.

sounds like you're doing everything to make it a positive experience for Kaiden, you just have to persevere with it. Have you tried an undercoat rake? These are spring loaded so won't dig in & also each tooth rotates to untangle any snags & stops pulling the fur, it rakes out the blowing undercoat only ... just another option to try :D

sounds like you're doing everything to make it a positive experience for Kaiden, you just have to persevere with it. Have you tried an undercoat rake? These are spring loaded so won't dig in & also each tooth rotates to untangle any snags & stops pulling the fur, it rakes out the blowing undercoat only ... just another option to try :D

I saw those at the pet store the other day and looked into them. I'm thinking about picking one up. c: Thank you for the recommendation.