Animal Abuser Registry

sammybeans

Very mixed emotions on things like this.  It is in my mind a "feel good" situation.  One that doesn't show a lot of promise but it makes you feel good because you've done something.

Since it's limited to NYC all someone who really wants to have a dog has to do is go outside the NYC area and they can buy anything they want.  Or, just have someone else pick up the animal for them ... the only real teeth laws like these have are when *this* animal causes animal control to come out and they find that the "owner of record" isn't the real owner and the real owner is on their registry.

It's a good thought but there are so many holes in actually being able to enforce it that it amounts, in my opinion, to more paperwork with minimal results.  While I'll get shot down for this - does the expense and paperwork involved, that might result in saving, a couple of dogs justify the overall expense?  Shouldn't that time and money be invested in teaching people how to care for their pets instead?

It probably won't have much impact, because those who enforce the laws, have to prioritize, and animal abuse falls short with the crimes against humans that occur in New York City.  It also would require, or so it seems to me, some due diligence to monitor the provisions of such an ordinance.  I also fail to see how a law enacted by a city, which is an ordinance, can impose a jail term of up to one year on a misdemeanor.  That is simply not going to deter some people.  Hit them in the pocket book and that will have a much larger impact and not be as costly to the governing body.  Or so it seems to me.

If it works, you know enforced, then in my opinion it's a good idea. There are flaws with all laws/rules and at some point certain people will get round it, but if it works as a deterrent then in my book its a good thing. Can be all to easy to have a pet, just harder to look after one, especially if you don't have the pets best interests at heart.

Great idea, but backyard breeders obviously will not not care if their puppies are going to animal abusers, so they wouldn't check the registry.

And it doesn't say if breeders are legally required to check the registry, too. 

I'm just going to echo what others have said: People can just travel outside of New York and get their pets from there, seeing as it is only in the city. And, not sure how this will be enforced, usually crimes of person vs person are higher priority than person vs animal. Maybe if the organization/store/breeder are heavily fined if they are caught selling a puppy to a registered offender. But again, how could this be monitored and enforced?