Little X Pops Up To Stop Me From Posting.

Emma

Ok, I can see this is designed to be a helpful thing but it's starting to irritate me a bit.  Basically at the bottom, where the post button is I have a little grey x at the side of the thread.  In order to gain access to being allowed to post I have to click on it.  Once I do this, the Post option becomes clickable and alls well in the world but it's getting a bit annoying.,

I've been fiddling around with new browsers coz I got bored with the maxathon one.  Tried Chrome but absolutely hated it (pop ups and ad links all over the place, chrome lasted all of ten minutes, lol).  I'm now on firefox but I'm not sure if it's this or the new anti virus software I downloaded.  Norton ran out of the free trial, so now I've put the free avast one on.  This has a "safe web" feature on it and my instincts are telling me it's probably this trying to protect me from god knows what but I've got no clue what exactly it is that's doing it therefore no idea how to resolve it.

Any ideas?  Please? 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No cake for you, cake man!  lol.  :P

Thanks for the suggestion Dimitar but to be honest with you,  I'm of the opinion that if you have to add plug ins in order for it to work properly then they've clearly not bothered to make a good user friendly browser.  They can keep their chrome (polite version, lol).  Worst case scenario, I'll go back to maxathon.  Only really left it as I Just got fed up with trying to work out how to clear the history, temp files etc.......

If you go on this forum and get popups on this site it's definitely not your browser since this site doesn't do popups. It sounds like something else is wrong on your computer

Possibly a firewall issue?  However, It only happened when using chrome.  before chrome I had nothing and after i removed chrome I went back to having nothing.  Therefore I identified it as being the source of the problem. 

I didn't get any popups on the forum, only the ad links (you know where some of the text goes bright blue) I got pop ups from ebay though, and on another site.  It was one of those "you're computer has been infected, let us scan it so you can go and pay over the odds for our wonderful hard drive clean up products", and the other one was some gambling thingy, well from the little I saw of it that's what it looked like. lol.  

Yeah, they were the pop up ones from the other sites.  The ad links on here, where certain words on people's posts where highlighted and clickable, I don't know what they were for becuase I didn't click on them, lol.  Probably more of the same.  Now I'm on firefox it's all gone now anyway.  :)

Just wish this annoying little grey box woud go away too!  lol.  :rofl:

Yeah, they were the pop up ones from the other sites.  The ad links on here, where certain words on people's posts where highlighted and clickable, I don't know what they were for becuase I didn't click on them, lol.  Probably more of the same.  Now I'm on firefox it's all gone now anyway.  :)

Just wish this annoying little grey box woud go away too!  lol.  :rofl:

That actually sounds quite bad. If you see ads in the middle of posts on this forum, it's not this site nor your browser. Sounds like you got your pc infected with adware or malware. It's pure coincidence it only occurs for you in Chrome because this particular adware can also do the same with Firefox and Internet Explorer. I'd recommend to get your pc scanned asap.

That actually sounds quite bad. If you see ads in the middle of posts on this forum, it's not this site nor your browser. Sounds like you got your pc infected with adware or malware. It's pure coincidence it only occurs for you in Chrome because this particular adware can also do the same with Firefox and Internet Explorer. I'd recommend to get your pc scanned asap.

Thanks Jos.  Will do that now.  :D

Can you take a screen shot of it, I'm interested to see what is it exactly?

No idea if I can do that on my laptop but I wonder if google will show something similar that could help?  I'll take a peek.

Ok, I cracked it, didn't realise it was that simple, lol.   See the little grey box to the right of the posts on my empty reply box, it's this that's causing me grief!  The pics a bit small but if you click on it, it enlarges it enough to see it all clearly!  :)

post-6386-0-43543900-1391688371_thumb.pn

IMO, there's some add over there that hovers over the bottom right side of the screen which basically is the obstacle of clicking on the buttons. What's that big question mark down there? :o

Try getting the AdBlock extension for Firefox, it's totally legit. I've been using it with my Chrome for years now and I absolutely love it!

The question mark is HP Support Assistant in windows 8 if Emma has an HP that is I get the same...

I am using adblock for a few weeks now....and I do LOVE it blocks everything I do not want even add the filter for Dutch...even better do not get that either now...

Found my iPad, lol. Yeah Rob's right, although this is windows 7. the big question mark is currently telling me to install the latest java update and has been for months, lol.

You think the grey box is an add on? I was wondering if it's something to do with the safe web feature on avast because this morning it asked me if it could work with Firefox, I said yes and now avast has its safe web bit added onto the browser itself (the green circle on The top right part of the screen shot). Only problem is I can't work out how to alter it, or even what I need to alter to make the box go away! Lol.

Edit:  full system scan complete and nothing was detected.  However I'm not sure if it looked for ads or just viruses, it says "infections found:  0" which makes me suspect it wasn't looking for spyware or cookies.

Ok, I cracked it, didn't realise it was that simple, lol.   See the little grey box to the right of the posts on my empty reply box, it's this that's causing me grief!  The pics a bit small but if you click on it, it enlarges it enough to see it all clearly!  :)

attachicon.gifstoopid grey box.png

I already get itchy just watching that. There is this X button but also a small "Ad info" below it, covering the chat. So whatever injected itself into Chrome, has also injected itself into Firefox although the actual ads aren't showing. This, Emma, is from people that infected your computer and are making money of you right now by showing their ads, also known as adware.

I doubt adblock would even filter this. Mostly because it's made to filter out ads from the site itself and this one is not part of the forum, it's part of a malicious program that is injected them in (probably) every page you visit right now. And even if it filters it, it just just hides it and doesn't solve the underlying issue which is that a program is trying to get into your browser.

I suspect it installed itself as an extention in Firefox. If you go to the big orange Firefox button, click Extra and then Add-ons (or just hit ctrl+shift+a as a shortkey) and then click Extentions. Could you make a screenshot of what you're seeing there?

No I mean in the extentions tab. I want to see if there's anything in there

Sorry, yeah I realised that as soon as I did it, lol.  Redid my other post to show the right thing, so sorry. 

The Ad info bit over the chat bar is for something called openappmedia.com and if I right click on the little grey box I can "inspect element"  and it gives me a whole load of "computer language".  lol.

Oh, I expected you to say something alright, lol. 

Ok, have restarted firefox in safe mode and there is no little grey box, everything is as it should be.  However, as it's not to be found clearly in the extensions list, it must be discreetly  hidden somewhere else.  I wonder if I try to start this in non safe mode if it's still there?  Only one way to find out......  yep, it's still there!  :headbang:

Ok, after a little research I've found a reccomended antispyware/malware/spybot/adware programme.  It's called superantispyware and the free version was referred to favourably on several reviews so I went ahead and got it (technically what I actually did was get the full package on a trial instead of the free one as it has more functions).  Will beat this if it kills me, lol.

Registry Items and Memory items all clear, no surprises there then.  File items however,  69 cookie adware items and still going....... HOW?!  I manually deleted all temp files, cookies, and history yesterday?!  Can't work out how come they're still there?!