need help with disiplining my pup

right, my 8 week pup is being a little terror

when she does wrong i say no and point my finger, she bites it,

i say no and dont point my finger she walks off or carrys on what shes doing

when were playing she gets rough i say no, she still bites.

she is very intelligent as i have tought her to sit, stay nearly and lay down.?

can i please get some help and advice on what worked for you guys ?

thanks

curt

I've 10yrs experience of owning Huskies n trainin them........ sayin that............ im havin trouble myself with the new addition, he is now 20 wks n i have never known a pup like it!!!! He eats everything, rips apart everythin, shits everywhere. nightmare on a lead etc etc etc etc

All u can do is keep reinforcing the rules and stick at it, mine is gettin there but is a big struggle........ All the joys of owning a Husky! It Isn't easy but its worth it in the long run !

Thats y u r here on this site, cos u love um no matter wot.................. Just keep it up n dont give up!

Good Luck xxx

I've 10yrs experience of owning Huskies n trainin them........ sayin that............ im havin trouble myself with the new addition, he is now 20 wks n i have never known a pup like it!!!! He eats everything, rips apart everythin, shits everywhere. nightmare on a lead etc etc etc etc

All u can do is keep reinforcing the rules and stick at it, mine is gettin there but is a big struggle........ All the joys of owning a Husky! It Isn't easy but its worth it in the long run !

Thats y u r here on this site, cos u love um no matter wot.................. Just keep it up n dont give up!

Good Luck xxx

thankies, shes a husky cross german shepard aswell!

Guest snowdog

hi curtypoop, yep i ditto above answer keep reinforcing what your doing chick n it will sink in , they push you to see what they can get away with but once she knows you gunna keep it coming shell learn whos boss n play nice. instead of pointing i lightly place my finger tips on shadows face at the side and gently push her towards something else saves her nippin me n moves her at same timw obviously while saying no, hope this helps xx

hi curtypoop, yep i ditto above answer keep reinforcing what your doing chick n it will sink in , they push you to see what they can get away with but once she knows you gunna keep it coming shell learn whos boss n play nice. instead of pointing i lightly place my finger tips on shadows face at the side and gently push her towards something else saves her nippin me n moves her at same timw obviously while saying no, hope this helps xx

thanks snowpoop,

yeh ile give it a bash.

cheerz for the help

Zoya was like that when we brought her home. I had blood running down my arms from her bites and scratches. What worked for Zoya was a firm NO, if she continued, I simply ignored her and walked away. She'd follow but I still ignored her. She'd then go off and pick up one of her toys, and a few minutes later, I'd give her some attention. She'd be fine for about ten minutes, then it would start again. And so I'd start ignoring her again. Eventually, she understood that biting behavior meant no contact. Huskies hate to be ignored. They love companionship. Take away the things they love, and the quickly realize they need to change.

Zoya was like that when we brought her home. I had blood running down my arms from her bites and scratches. What worked for Zoya was a firm NO, if she continued, I simply ignored her and walked away. She'd follow but I still ignored her. She'd then go off and pick up one of her toys, and a few minutes later, I'd give her some attention. She'd be fine for about ten minutes, then it would start again. And so I'd start ignoring her again. Eventually, she understood that biting behavior meant no contact. Huskies hate to be ignored. They love companionship. Take away the things they love, and the quickly realize they need to change.

very good advice mazz, i shall try this i have tried it before, but i need to get my family to ignore her when i do. ile try it tomorrow

espeshally with my gran coming over to see her, old people have weak skin and bruise easily

right, my 8 week pup is being a little terror

when she does wrong i say no and point my finger, she bites it,

i say no and dont point my finger she walks off or carrys on what shes doing

when were playing she gets rough i say no, she still bites.

she is very intelligent as i have tought her to sit, stay nearly and lay down.?

can i please get some help and advice on what worked for you guys ?

thanks

curt

If she's only eight weeks old you can't have had her for too long - IMO you should lower your expectations a bit.

She's a baby puppy with a very short attention span, she doesn't understand what 'no' means and from what you've said above it sounds like she thinks it's a game. She's not being a terror, she's being a typical eight week old puppy ;)

Just like you've taught her to sit and lie down, you need to teach her that certain behaviours don't work to get what she wants. Saying no and pointing your finger doesn't mean anything to her. Try redirecting her to something she can bite (like a toy), if you must say something try giving a single firm 'ah' as a way of interrupting her behaviour so you can stop her, redirect her or show her what behaviour you'd like to see instead. If she's doing something naughty you can also try calling her to you, and rewarding her for stopping what she's doing and coming to you instead. Make yourself more interesting than whatever "bad" behaviour it is she's doing.

Have a read of this article on NILIF, and implement it in your every day interactions with her.

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

Remember that she's only a baby and that she doesn't understand any of what she's doing is wrong. It's up to you to teach her the appropriate way to behave.

If she's only eight weeks old you can't have had her for too long - IMO you should lower your expectations a bit.

She's a baby puppy with a very short attention span, she doesn't understand what 'no' means and from what you've said above it sounds like she thinks it's a game. She's not being a terror, she's being a typical eight week old puppy ;)

Just like you've taught her to sit and lie down, you need to teach her that certain behaviours don't work to get what she wants. Saying no and pointing your finger doesn't mean anything to her. Try redirecting her to something she can bite (like a toy), if you must say something try giving a single firm 'ah' as a way of interrupting her behaviour so you can stop her, redirect her or show her what behaviour you'd like to see instead. If she's doing something naughty you can also try calling her to you, and rewarding her for stopping what she's doing and coming to you instead. Make yourself more interesting than whatever "bad" behaviour it is she's doing.

Have a read of this article on NILIF, and implement it in your every day interactions with her.

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

yeh you make a good point, she is getting the hang of "no" now however, maby i should relaxs abit lol cheerz for the help

Remember that she's only a baby and that she doesn't understand any of what she's doing is wrong. It's up to you to teach her the appropriate way to behave.

Guest snowdog

mine knows what no means and so did the other two when they were young theyare intelligant enough after few days what different sounds in your voice indicate n mine is 8 weeks n he already knows hes done wrong or right nby the tone of my voice, its a long process i agree but never to early to start n mine showing signs already, keep it up curtypoop xx

Puppy biting is a nightmare, i always push away gently and say no biting and stop the play and ignore them so they know thats not something i want and i will not play with them while they are biting. It is a case of constantly re inforcing the word no biting and teaching her that certain behaviours are not allowed but as bec said it is hard as when they are 8 weeks everything is a game to them but you have to be strong and persisit. Also using the words no biting comes in useful when older as when they want to play and get a little rough and start mouthing in anyway it will re inforce the no biting rule and they will know what this mean.. good luck and be strong lol

mine knows what no means and so did the other two when they were young theyare intelligant enough after few days what different sounds in your voice indicate n mine is 8 weeks n he already knows hes done wrong or right nby the tone of my voice, its a long process i agree but never to early to start n mine showing signs already, keep it up curtypoop xx

At eight weeks I guarantee you that your pup has no concept of right and wrong.

In actuality, dogs have no concept of "right" and "wrong", they are not people and have no moral compass to be able to distinguish when something is right or when something is wrong - that's why we have to train them to know what behaviour is acceptable. They are opportunists and learn what behaviour works and what behaviour doesn't. My dog knows that she can't take food when I have it or when I'm in the room, in fact I could knock a piece of meat on the floor when I'm there and she won't touch it. I can put her in a stay, walk out of the room and come back to her in the same position with the meat still on the floor. But I bet if I left her to her own devices she'd eat it as soon as the opportunity presented itself. That eating it is "wrong" wouldn't cross her mind.

Using vocal tone can work well as an interrupter, if the dog is responding to a stern 'no' or 'ah ah' it's not because they understand what the word means - you could use any word instead of no, using the same tone and you would get the same result. However, with some dogs and pups a stern tone can just excite them - so it can backfire.

In actuality, dogs have no concept of "right" and "wrong", they are not people and have no moral compass to be able to distinguish when something is right or when something is wrong - that's why we have to train them to know what behaviour is acceptable. They are opportunists and learn what behaviour works and what behaviour doesn't. My dog knows that she can't take food when I have it or when I'm in the room, in fact I could knock a piece of meat on the floor when I'm there and she won't touch it. I can put her in a stay, walk out of the room and come back to her in the same position with the meat still on the floor. But I bet if I left her to her own devices she'd eat it as soon as the opportunity presented itself. That eating it is "wrong" wouldn't cross her mind.

Using vocal tone can work well as an interrupter, if the dog is responding to a stern 'no' or 'ah ah' it's not because they understand what the word means - you could use any word instead of no, using the same tone and you would get the same result. However, with some dogs and pups a stern tone can just excite them - so it can backfire.

yeh my previous dog was like that, i didnt even have to say leave, one day we put his food down and watched tv for 2 hours, we wonderd where lottie (old dog) had gone so we went in the kitchen and he was sitting looking at his food waiting for us to say take it lol, soo good, and we could leave plates on the floor and everytihng so i coulndt of done much wrong lol, im sure when shes a bit older she will be more responsive.

Guest snowdog

not stern with my dogs at all maybe they just repond well for me ! but i do what works best and it is working fo rme , nice n gentle actually i dont shout at the but tones are used a lot with dogs and body language , everyones different x

right shes still being a naughty girl. she keeps chewing our new carpet corners!

i say not, then she just mega hard bites my hand, making me bleed i put her in her basket and say stay when im 5 meters aways she runs back out to the carpet!!

this is after shes eaten and iv put her back in her basket loooads but she wont get it, i need her to understand that no means stop.

She isn't going to learn the word NO overnight. If you want her to stay in her basket, maybe try teaching her sit first - then stay / wait - use treats when she stays for 5 seconds reward her and use a marker word - eg Good. Increase the length of time a bit at a time so maybe just 5 seconds for one training session, then 10 seconds at teh next training session.

I would only do the training with her for 5 / 10 mins max at a time as her attention span will be very short.

She isn't going to learn the word NO overnight. If you want her to stay in her basket, maybe try teaching her sit first - then stay / wait - use treats when she stays for 5 seconds reward her and use a marker word - eg Good. Increase the length of time a bit at a time so maybe just 5 seconds for one training session, then 10 seconds at teh next training session.

I would only do the training with her for 5 / 10 mins max at a time as her attention span will be very short.

yeh, she can sit, and stay. but as soon as ime outa eyeshot she goes for it again.

i guess i need to be persistant, i dont know how to let her know shes being bad,

You are not alone in this. Solo doesnt bite or nip but he is fast becoming quite the little spawn, lmao, but not really lmao, ya know? I think hes a sweet enough pup but I am now doubting he is anywhere near 18 weeks or that he was ever potty trained. The crate training is really not going very well either. Last night he got mad about being in his crate and woke me up twice...both times he and his crate were covered top to bottom in poo and pee and he started howling like crazy both times, which sent chewy into a howling fit. Whats more is that he taught himself to flip his crate over so both times when I woke up the crate was upside down. Today, i feel like pulling my own hair out because hes been such a crazy smart little monster. im now pretty sure because of size and stuff that solo is at most 10 to 12 weeks old. For a little guy hes wicked smart and quite the busybody who is happy to make a really wicked mess to get out of his crate or back at me for something, lol.

For your pup, instead of pointing try making loud noises at him like clapping in rapid succession to get his attention, and dont be afraid to use your "louder voice" if you have to...we all know that husky pups like to try and ignore us to go on with their business, so find a noise/phrase that works to distract the pup and get their attention and then use it every time. When the pup stops what it is doing and looks at you call the pup to you, tell the pup to sit, and then praise. This will take practice, but it will be worth it. I find that the best phrase to use is "bad puppy, i said NO." You can also teach the pup to go somewhere else away from what it was about to do, by telling them "NO...GO" and pointing in another direction, its brief and pointing away from them and showing them where you want them to go often helps.

Instead of just telling her no redirect her to something she can do and reward her for doing the right thing. At this age it's not so much about disciplining her as it is about supervising her and setting her up to win.

Don't ask her to stay if you know she will run off, asking an eight week old pup to stay is really setting her up to fail - if I train a pup to stay I don't make them do so for any longer than a couple of seconds. Letting her break just teaches her that stay doesn't mean anything.