Introdusing to another dog

Hi all,

Hope you are all well :) i just wanted a bit of advice, i'm going to be taking Ice to my parents house tomorrow, and my brothers dog will also be there, now they have met once before when we first got Ice, in May, Ice was 5 months old at this point and my brothers dog was a year and half, they got on ok, and it wasn't a problem. However i just want to make sure i do it right again, and just wanted to know what would be the best way to re-introduce them, my brothers dog is half rottie and half american bulldog, he's a very placid dog and gets on with other dogs, but they are both boys and neither have been castrated yet, so i want to reduce any male testosterone which may get highly released when they meet. Would it be advisable to get them to meet in the park before taking them home? so they become friends? any ideas would be muchly appreciated.

Let them meet outside, not in a confined area, not with a lot of people or other distractions. Keep both on a lead. And pay attention, but let them check each other out. I don't know, that's how we introduced Zoya to our son's dog Koda. Of course, Zoya is a female and Koda is a male. Koda, by the way, is an Aussie.

Experience from Sunday:

We were out and came home with Yanky to find my brother had his friend over with his 6 year-old Labrador, Ric, who must have been 40 kg. The lab was very mellow but going around marking the garden. Yanky wanted to greet him but Ric kept growling at him each time he got close. So I took them both out for a quick job around the block. Every time they focused on each other I ran a little faster. They were calmer by the time we were back home and I was able to leave them off leash. No fights but Ric didn't stay too long.

I hope that they'll become running buddies in December. I wasn't too scared about the meeting since we always meet other dogs on our walks and Yanky hasn't lunged at anyone. I guess the difference was that Ric isn't submissive at all nor interested in letting a younger dog sniff him.

thanks guys, Ice is normally quite good with other dogs, he just wants to play and all the dogs locally are quite small, so i think the other owners get a bit scared of him, thanks for your tips, i will defo get them to meet outside and play to tire them out and then get them back inside the house, ohhh i'm so excited, i hope they get on, because then i can take him with me all the time :)

hey guys, so we met outside and Rocky at first was a little "whos in my town" but they were fine, and they kept trying to "hump" each other but i'm not sure if it's a dominance thing. but they seem ok, don't want to have a minutes rest smile.gif they didnt' sleep last night because Ice slept in my room with me, and rocky slept in his usual spot on the landing, but they were up all night, i think due to the excitement of knowing there was another dog in the house, they did get a little bit rough, but i have a shaker which deters their attention, so it's going ok so far smile.gif now they are both asleep so i can finally cath up with a nap too biggrin.gif