The dreadful Ticks!

Damien

Having a problem with Damien, seems every week we find a tick or two on him. We have him on some multi flea, tick, and heart worm prevention but I fear its not working. Does anyone have any recommendation on tick prevention? My guess is there coming from a bunch of trees we've had cut down and removed. :angry:

My son told me once that ticks don't drop from trees, but rather, climb up from the ground. They're attracted to the heat and carbon dioxide given off by humans and animals.

This site gives an excellent lesson on ticks, though doesn't include tick repellent information.

http://entomology.ucdavis.edu/faculty/rbkimsey/tickbio.html

This one has some holistic methods which might help as the stuff we get from our vets may not always work on individual animals for various reasons (and is not good for our cats)

http://healing.about.com/od/dogs/a/canineticks.htm

Actually it depend on the speceis of tick... There are many of them that do drop off trees.

My experiences with the all in one tick flea and heart worm meds is they almost never work. you really should try splitting the heart worm meds from the tick and flea... I suggest Interceptor for worms and advantage for fleas... if your trying for flea and tick i hear frontline is really good.

I Was using frontline for about 2 months when chewy was little but I would still find bugs on him and in the rugs,so I bought the Hartz brand that keeps away fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes, and kills flea eggs. Since i started using it the only bug Ive seen was a tick that i picked up out in the yard. Some people claim that Hartz has made their pets sick, but Ive never had a problem with it, and I will not buy the expensive stuff now that i know Hartz works. One lady told me to put down a coating of dawn dish soap in the yard to get bugs out of the yard but thats just asking for trouble so I didnt do it, its too dangerous to the dogs. The Hartz brand is $10 bucks for 3 treatments I think, and I re-apply every 3 weeks (when I bathe him) to keep chewy well protected.

As posted by Anne, I've heard very good things about garlic stopping dogs from getting tick and fleas, but then some people say that garlic is poisonous to dogs, so what do you do? I've never had a problem with giving my dogs garlic, never made any of them ill.

we are using frontline right now. i think with huskies it's not only important what you use, but more important on how well you apply it. you have to get down to the skin otherwise you are just throwing money away. additionally my old vet that retired said it's very important "not" to rub it in. drop it on and let it do it's magic. avoid petting that area for a day or so.