Great news!

Bec

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really interesting, Bec, added to rep, will look further into this myself ... thank you :)

You're welcome. I found it a bit hard to wrap my head around at first, as we are so conditioned to believe that dogs need to be vaccinated yearly. In reality, the reason that we vaccinate yearly is because a group of vets in the US wanted to come up with a way to get pet owners bringing their dogs in to the surgery for yearly check ups - and they decided that telling them they need to vaccinate their dogs each year was a good way to do this. Luckily, we know better now, and have the ability to titre test our dogs to check their immunity levels to see if they really do need to be vaccinated.

Some more info:

http://www.news.wisc...eases/8413.html

http://www.dogsadver...eProtocols.html

ETA: Unless you were talking about the original topic which was chiropractic medicine... lol

What is the cost for a titre test??

How long does it take for results?

It depends where you are located - it should cost no more than $60 which includes sending the blood off to a lab in WA. I have a vet here who does it at the cost price of $44... so really no more than what it costs to vaccinate your dogs. It's important that you see a vet who understands how to read titres properly. I can't quite remember how long it takes to get results back as I haven't titre tested my lot yet... you'd get them back within a week.

You're welcome. I found it a bit hard to wrap my head around at first, as we are so conditioned to believe that dogs need to be vaccinated yearly. In reality, the reason that we vaccinate yearly is because a group of vets in the US wanted to come up with a way to get pet owners bringing their dogs in to the surgery for yearly check ups - and they decided that telling them they need to vaccinate their dogs each year was a good way to do this. Luckily, we know better now, and have the ability to titre test our dogs to check their immunity levels to see if they really do need to be vaccinated.

Exactly, I feel like we are "brain-washed" into believing what is stated & do it "for the best for our pet" but obviously there is more to life than the single path ... will have a good read, thanks again, Bec :D

Exactly, I feel like we are "brain-washed" into believing what is stated & do it "for the best for our pet" but obviously there is more to life than the single path ... will have a good read, thanks again, Bec :D

Yeah I felt a bit silly and hippy-ish when I first started talking to people about it, but when people begin to understand that it's not a wishy-washy idea and is the result of a lot of science and research then they start to realise it's worth finding out more.

If I titre test my dogs and the results come back that their immune levels are not where they should be, then I know they need to be vaccinated, no big deal. However, such cases are pretty uncommon, as a dog's immune level changes depending on if it's been exposed to the disease recently... so a dog may test as having a "low" immune level but that's not a bad thing because their immunity will go up as soon as they are exposed to the virus/disease (which is why "low" immunity on a titre test is not bad).

In the above instance I'm talking about adult dogs. Obviously, puppies still need to be vaccinated, at the appropriate ages (firstly at 8 weeks, not before, as they still have immunity from their mother's milk and vaccinating before 8 weeks is therefore redundant).

Wow this is REALLY intersting as I am on a animal management course and they are actually still teaching that vaccinations need yearly boosters!

Its like you said Bec Vets have to make the effort to keep themselves up to date and most actually dont.

I actually questioned this with my vet nursing teacher and she said its because the basic science doesnt change but this is proof that it really does and that like our human nurses and doctors who are on constant trainig courses to bring new research into practise so should our Vets be doing the same! I'm so going to quiz my vet the next time I go, which will be soon as my cats are due for their yearly boosters... might just question on whether they are up to date on protcol and if the boosters are nessercery! Rep most deffinatly added!!!