Non-typical Husky

husky12

I wanted to ask if anyone in the community has had experience with what would seem to be very non-typical for a Sibe. My husky Skye is great with other dogs which is definitely not a problem, however, she seems to be completely backward with people. As everyone knows, normally huskies have that temperament that accepts almost everyone including perfect strangers.

As I'm new to the forum, some background info might help. I got Skye from a breeder when she was 17 weeks old. Being a first time owner, I'm sad to say I made mistakes in acquiring Skye. I didn't actually get to see Skye on the grounds she was raised on or meet the sire and dam as I should have. Instead, because the breeder lived so far away I met the breeder some two-thirds of the way. While talking to the breeder, she told me that Skye hadn't been off of the grounds and had had no visitors (no neighbors) come to see her. She said that she may behave like a rescue and if she would shy away from people in a room, don't let her escape - if she goes behind a couch, bring her back out.

This never worked. Skye was just terrified of people. I don't know what the norm is, but it took a full 4 days or so before Skye warmed up to me, and I hadn't left her alone whatsoever. We've had good opportunities at socialization but Skye didn't take to anyone - even when attempted with treat bribes.

I've done some searching and I found this article about similarities in personality disorders between dogs and people. Shy huskies were a point to the study. It's a long read, but towards the end (third paragraph from the end and on I think) it describes the behavior of my pup to an absolute tee - which has me concerned a bit.

http://www.jeromegroopman.com/articles/dog-genes.html

Well I know that there are many factors that make up a pup's personality, and I know a few factors coming against Skye. Peak socialization is normally between 12 and 16 weeks which the breeder and I missed completely. 17 weeks is also a little late to leave a litter too isn't it? Can that have negative impacts too?

Well, I just wanted to ask if anyone has had good experiences in turning a husky of this caliber on to people. Has anyone else had a Sibe behave like what was described in the article?

Ive not read the article you posted, but I too had some odd-ball problems with chewy when he first came home. He was terribly shy of everything. People, other dogs, noises he hadnt heard before, etc. He would growl and bark and lunge at 12 weeks and I was scared he wasnt going to be able to stay with us. I posted on all kinds of websites looking for answers to my questions and I had no idea what to do because I had never seen a husky react this way before.He even tried to snap/nip at the vet the first time she saw him...and he tried to nip a teenage girl who came up to us and tried to pat him.

As it turns out quite a bit of his behavioral problems were worked out, but he still doesnt like strangers and is always barking at them. Other than that he has calmed down though and to be honest about 90% of the advice you will find on the internet is garbage from people who dont think dogs like ours have a shot at learning to behave differently.

All I did was take things like introductions more slowly and introduced him to new objects and other people and dogs over time. He settled in after awhile and then I began taking him to the dog park and allowing him to follow me around so that he could see that no one there was looking to chase or hurt him.

To be honest with you I think that shy/fearful behaviors may well have to do where they were born and spent the first few months and what they were exposed to.

I didnt think about it til much later after we got chewy calmed down but here's the thing....He came from a (plant) farm, there were only 2 people living there (and he probably only saw them an hour or two a day), there werent any other animals, and its unlikely with 9 puppies in his litter that the breeders were able to be social with every pup. Basically, he came from a very quiet environment where he hadnt been exposed to children, other people, city noises, etc...so when he came here he was totally out of his element and we really had to teach him from scratch about the things he was afraid of-

one thing at a time.

The hardest thing for me to do during that first 6 months was that I had to turn away people who stopped and asked to pat him...I had never had to do that before.

I know exactly what you mean, I have to turn people away too! Its not fun and it just leaves me hoping that it'll turn around soon. I also always hear how that's so weird for a husky. Though she's made progress from when I got her, it seems she still hasn't learned that people in general aren't out to get her.

I'm glad to hear that things worked out for you and chewy, that gives me hope. Fortunately so far, Skye hasn't shown any aggression whatsoever. She has become awful scared at times but never growls or snaps. My biggest fear is that one day she'll learn that a growl or a snap would be more than enough to keep people away.

I agree with you on the impact of early socialization/location. 17 weeks of the same three people in the woods and then you find out that they're are thousands more and many of them want to come touch you when they see you would probably (understandably) be scary. Its just a shame that its so hard to socialize after that.

Hi all,

Exposure to many noises, environments, people etc.. is vital between the ages of 8-12 weeks as during this peiod puppies learn most of their habits. In saying that i'm not professing that it can't be done later in a dogs life.

Small consistent exposure to various people or whatever the dog may shy away from is the key.

Showing your dog that there is nothing to fear, and that it can be fun and rewarding to be around these things.

Bailey has a fear of moving vehicles of any discription, so I am safely exposing him to as many types as possible for small periods of time. He use to walk bacwards and hide behind me whenever a vehicle would go past on a walk. He is now not as concered.

"Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out" ;)

Not very much to add as what most people have said is very accurate, just that it might help to carry around a bag of whatever her very favorite treats are and then rather than turning people away when they ask to pet her give them one of her fav treats and tell them to bend down to her level not to look her directly in the eye and just offer it to her on an open palm without shoving it at her so she can see and smell it but they arnt encroching into her personal space, that way she gets to take it if she wants it and starts to associate people with possetive getting treats, do this with visitors to your house as well and anyone else you can think of and slowly she should get the message that people arnt to be feared.

Hope this helps and good luck, let us know how she gets on! :D