Website - Internet help :)

Stranger

Morning peeps,

I am planning on setting up a website, ive checked and the domain name is free and available, but i believe i next need to find a Host...well this is where my knowledge fulls flat on its face :facepalm:

I know nothing about setting up, or running a website and would like some sort of guidenance.

I am planning on asking my family to buy the domain and host for a christmas present so the sooner i figure all this out the better.

Thanks peeps your much loved :)

Toni xx

Setting up a website for someone who has no idea what they are doing is going to depend on your host. I would suggest looking for a host with some kind of site builder functionality as otherwise your options are you gonna need to either learn how websites work, how to upload/configure/install web software, learn to code a website manually, or pay someone to do it for you.

Let's see if I can get away with this. [MENTION=6875]Stranger[/MENTION], I host my websites at BlueHost.com here in the US - I don't know what other server farms they might have though. Service has been excellent and they have toll free numbers here (so support is just a phone call away) with some excellent support people behind the phones. Most who host domains now will do the domain name registration for you, most seem to have some form of control panel available and most also have some "designer" (site builder) programs to help you build your web site.

It would probably be helpful to look at someone in the EU ... though a quick call to Bluehost tells me that they have toll free numbers in the UK as well, as well as the normal on line chat.

My reasons for going with Bluehost were:

• Their pricing, at the time I went with them, was about the lowest going.
  • Their sales / support staff answered all my "dumb" questions quickly and professionally
  • They allow as many domains to be hosted (as subdomains) as you want, I have three.
  • They have "unlimited"

• storage
    • throughput
    • email addresses

Of course, realistically there are limits, but I'm not going to run into them and I doubt the average user with a personal web site ever will.

(( I'm not sure if [MENTION=1]Marc[/MENTION] will mind me naming my hosting company and giving them what amounts to a free add.. ))