Openions on collars...

Hi everyone, I am looking to find a good collar that will help me with Garres's pulling me when we take our walks.

Currently I am using a "choker".....I HATE it! I feel sooooooo mean....

My vet recommended a "gentle lead"....I have never seen one, and was wondering if it was a good one to try or if there is something that works better.

michael_garres.jpg kane1.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also (i cant remember where i heard this) but a harness will help with them not feeling like they need to pull ya..it has something to do with them not liking it when you pull on their neck because thats how they fight or something? i cant remember 100% but that was the general idea

duke doesnt pull but i had a dalmatian who would pull pretty bad so what i did was every time he pulled id pull back and make him sit before i would let em walk anymore. it took em awhile but he eventually got the idea that if he pulled he was gonna have to sit and wait to move again. also using a retractable leash seems to help

at least thats been my experience

Hi Cherie :wave:

There are a few things out there but I suppose the most well know are a HALTI or GENTLE LEADER head collar. They both work in the same way but the HALTI has a little padding on it (a little more comfortable maybe). Imagine a horses halter, where the nose goes the body will follow in theory :D I know quite a few people who have used this & it has worked. I have recently purchased a simple slip lead & with this positioned around the neck right behind the ears you have better control. It is taking time & training but my George (GSD) isn't pulling as much as he used to (he could pull you along the ground quite easily before :eek:)

You can purchase both makes from most pet supply shops. I got mine from Pets at Home.

Good luck & I hope you find a method that works :redface: xxx

Pulling on the leash is a training problem not a tool problem.

I wouldn't put a harness on a dog who was a puller, you are just giving them more power to pull and giving yourself less control. Head collars come with their own issues and will not work for all dogs. A dog's skeletal structure and the placement of nerves in the face is completely different to a horses, putting a head collar on a dog is completely different to putting one on a horse.

At the end of the day the tool is not as important as the method you use to stop the dog from pulling. Dogs pull because we teach them that's how they get where they want to go. A tool can give you leverage to help train your dog not to pull but IMO the best investment you could make would be to spend some one on one time with a reputable trainer.

also (i cant remember where i heard this) but a harness will help with them not feeling like they need to pull ya..it has something to do with them not liking it when you pull on their neck because thats how they fight or something? i cant remember 100% but that was the general idea

Sounds like an old wives tail ;)

If harnesses deterred a dog from pulling we wouldn't run our dogs in harness when we hook them up to sleds.

I know training is crucial. I have tried to find a trainer, but living on an island kinda limits my options. I have met with two, one was way out of my price range and the other Garres did not like at all. I am still looking though.

As far as a collar, I know they don't fix the prob, but they can help. I know a lot of Garres's problem is to do with him never being on a leash b4 I got him.(He was 14 months when I got him) He has gotten better, but still does the leap and jump thing every time I have him on a leash.

I tried the pull back and sit for about 4-5 wks, and he would just leap and pull when we started walking again.

Like I said b4, he broke 2 retractable leashes, so I use a leather one now that is 5ft long. I have also tried the short leashes that are only like 2ft long and he would do the same thing.

Have a look at this....

http://www.softouchconcepts.com/

Interesting concept, has anybody used one of these before??

I use a harness, well sort of. It has a special collar, and a few straps get connected to the front of the collar from under her front legs (a little hard to describe) I used it for the first time the other night....all I can say is WOW!!! As soon as Sasha pulls forward and tightens the lead she stops and takes a few steps back to me.

I was amazed at how it works.

The breeder that we purchased Bailey from recommended them and said walking two dogs with them on will be a breeze. I was a little skeptical but for $14 (AUST$) how can you not at least try it.

I will be getting another one once Bailey is fully grown. :grinning-smiley-003

I know training is crucial. I have tried to find a trainer, but living on an island kinda limits my options. I have met with two, one was way out of my price range and the other Garres did not like at all. I am still looking though.

As far as a collar, I know they don't fix the prob, but they can help. I know a lot of Garres's problem is to do with him never being on a leash b4 I got him.(He was 14 months when I got him) He has gotten better, but still does the leap and jump thing every time I have him on a leash.

I tried the pull back and sit for about 4-5 wks, and he would just leap and pull when we started walking again.

Like I said b4, he broke 2 retractable leashes, so I use a leather one now that is 5ft long. I have also tried the short leashes that are only like 2ft long and he would do the same thing.

When does he leap and jump? When he's walking along or when he's distracted by something?

This is what I'd try;

Hold the leash loose and as soon as he hits the end, turn quickly on your heel in the opposite direction. When he catches up to you praise and reward him, use whatever motivates him, toys/praise/high value food etc. Repeat EVERY time he hits the end of the leash. Reward every time he catches up to you and is walking next to you on a nice loose leash. Doing this teaches the dog to correct himself, he starts to learn that pulling no longer gets him where he wants to go; forcing him to change direction shows him that he can no longer win by pulling and that walking on a loose leash will be rewarding.

have you heard of the canny collar? my friend lent me one for ricks mums lab, and when she had to give it back it helped so much she bought one off the neck. it works kind of the same as a halti but the lead attaches to a part that goes over the nose aswell, and when they pull this tightens, doesnt hurt them but the dont like it. the lab walks fine now, whereas before neither me or ricks mum could walk him without fear of injury (and we had tried all the training techniques to no avail). search it in google, tho my friend got hers from her vets.

Kaiya is using an "easy walk" harness right now and her pulling has reduced a lot.

http://www.premier.com/View.aspx?page=dogs/products/behavior/easywalk/productdescription

the leash connects to the harness in the front on her breast bone. if she starts to pull, she basically ends up swinging around back towards me. the harness pretty much accomplishes what you should be doing to train the dog if she was on a regular leash, but the added benefit here is that you are minimizing risk to the throat due to where the harness hooks up. i'd recommend it for sure. wish i bought it sooner.

Garres leaps and jumps just as any other dog would normally walk on a leash. He will calm down if I sit, but as for actually walking him, it's a struggle.

You have all given me great advice. Thank you!

I am going to try smeagl's idea of changing direction first. But I may also try the harness that turns them around when they pull.

Again, thank you everyone. And I will def keep y'all updated on how it goes :)

Also, Do any of you think if I have my husband take him for a run 2-3 times a wk when he comes back from Iraq, the pulling will lesson?

Also, Do any of you think if I have my husband take him for a run 2-3 times a wk when he comes back from Iraq, the pulling will lesson?

Burning up energy can really help with the pulling. Kaiya will try to pull when we first start our walk, but about a quarter to a third of the way in she just prances next to me.

If you teach him to walk nicely on a loose leash now when he's a pup, and that pulling doesn't work, you won't need one ;)

Bailey, like most puppies is very curious about everythingh around him at the moment. Everytime we go out he pulls the entire walk, no matter what I try. I have used all the same training techniques I used with Sasha however I feel he is too small at this stage/eager.

Any other opinions on techniques??

Bailey, like most puppies is very curious about everythingh around him at the moment. Everytime we go out he pulls the entire walk, no matter what I try. I have used all the same training techniques I used with Sasha however I feel he is too small at this stage/eager.

Any other opinions on techniques??

what techniques did you try with Sasha? Going by what you have already posted in this thread it sounds like whatever techniques you tried with Sasha weren't that effective anyway, because she was still a puller.

what techniques did you try with Sasha? Going by what you have already posted in this thread it sounds like whatever techniques you tried with Sasha weren't that effective anyway, because she was still a puller.

Don't get me wrong Sasha does pull on occasion, when she sees another dog or cat. Generally she walks with a loose leash but always slightly in front of me. The only reason I put Sasha in that harness was to stop her from competing with Bailey as to who was in front. Walking both of them like this was a tad difficult...so hence the harness.

I have used:

-The stop and turn walk back the other way technique.

-Stop and wait till she stops and call her back to me.

-Quick changes in direction

Sasha is reasonably well trained she will, sit/drop/stay/eat on command/speak/hi 5 lol/paw/crawl she is very responsive to trigger words like, dinner/park/walk/lets go home

I just wish she would walk a bit nicer on lead. I realise Huskies are pulling/working dogs so I have come to that conclusion. ?????

What does Bailey do when you do the quick changes in direction? How old is he? If you wait until he is older to teach him loose leash walking it will be worse as pulling will have cemented itself as a habit and he'll be bigger and stronger. How much one on one time do you spend training Bailey and what do you use to reward him?

Katrina, dogs can still slip out of harnesses. I only walk mine on martingale/limited slip collars for this reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Akasha has a Gentle Leader headcollar right now. The goal is to eventually train her on her regular collar. She doesn't particularly like it, and it's a pain to get the fit right, but it's made a huge difference. Because it turns her head to the side, she barely resists when she pulls.

It's a good choice if elderly people or children are walking the dog as well. Akasha almost pulled my mother down with a regular collar. Even when she was 4 months old she was pulling my mom along. She is easy to walk on a gentle leader, at least in terms of force. It doesn't appear to hurt her; she just seems annoyed that something is on her face. We only tried walking her with a regular collar a few times; She was literally standing up from pulling so hard.

My biggest issue with it is the fit. It comes with a DVD, and you really have to watch the whole thing carefully. The smallest size was slightly too small for Akasha, but the next size up was too big. We had this problem for over a month. However, I do recommend using one; her behavior really did change immediately. They are readily available all over the internet.