Food /bowl aggression

Deb

Hi, hope someone can help. We adopted Meeka a gorgeous 3 yr old male husky a few weeks ago. We had no problems with his food at first and would come away from the other dogs bowls if you said no.

The last couple of days he has become aggressive and very possesive. He tried to go over to another bowl on Wednesday and would not leave it. My husband went over to him and he snapped at him, I got up to remove him and he went for me cathching my hand (no blood loss!!!).

I put him on the flooras he would not let up and would not let him up till he relaxed, then it was all over although he knew he was wrong. we ignored him for a time then I called him over for some 'love'! Hope I did this right.

Last night my husband brought his bowl through and hand fed him some of the dinner, Meeka was okay sort of so he put the bowl down by his feet. Meeka went straight into 'this is mine mode', very rigid and covered his bowl appearing very agitated, if that's the right word. My hubs moved the bowl with his feet and Meeka's back went up he was told no but he carried on eating his food really quickly.

He also is protective over the main water bowl and looms over my other dog when she is drinking. He also went for my other dog (Charlie RIP not cos of Meeka cos of ill health) when he had a drink. I have removed the big bowl and the two of them (the other is a Yorkie) have attached bowls in their crates (Meeka has just started crate training). I could not risk him going for the Yorkie (he is okay with her jsut tries to play!).

He is so good otherwise, has not destroyed anything when we leave him, has loads of walks and is really good with treats, will sit next to the Yorkie and takes no notice. He never tries to take food of the side or bother us when we eat (which is always beofre them).

We did a huge amount of research before deciding to adopt him and did not take the decision lightly. We are both very experienced with dogs and I do rehoming for a charity but I NEED HELP..... as it is not something I have had before ..... and we love him and want him to be happy and content in his pack.

I had to do this with Cypra, when we first got her she didn't trust us about anything so she would get very protective over her things, especially her food and squeaky bone. We did the hand feeding for 5 days and she improved greatly (I think it's because she came from a family with 4 kids who wouldn't leave her alone while she ate). With her toy, I would firmly tell her MINE and take it away from her and give her something else. The minute she got growly with me, i would tell her NO, MINE and take it away from her and replace it with something else. Just basically telling her to share. It worked after a week of training with her. I think also since she is older, she understood it better. I wish you lots of luck with that, the hand feeding worked like a charm for me!

I have experienced this in a severe way - we had the foster dog here 7 months and even then he wasn't completely trustworthy although he would let me take his bowl away in the end!! He was then rehomed and he went straight back to guarding again!!

Firstly - stop trying to take his bowl away. He has only been there a few weeks he does not trust you yet!!

is he aware of his place in your pack? Dogs and humans? It's one thing us thinking we're the boss but it's another in the eyes of the dog.... Do you let him wander everywhere in the house? sleep on the bed? climb on the sofa? eat before you? play when he wants to play etc? The reason I ask is because if the answer to any of these is yes then he most probably ranks himself higher than you in terms of heirarchy in is new pack!! In dog terms the higher ranking one has every right to protect his food...

I would suggest he is just asserting his dominance where your dogs are concerned and providing the others don't challenge him that should settle down.

What i would do to start (and what i did do) is set boundries... he should not be allowed any privileges such as going upstairs, climbing on the big comfy human sofa etc. Basically you need to re-rank your pack.

If he is the same with toys i would remove them.... and bones for now too!!

Feed him at set times and don't change from this, dogs love routine!!

Also it's worth bearing in mind that a dog that is satisfied nutritionally at meal times will feel less likely to guard their food as they know they are getting what they need (if that makes sense). Is he on a good quality food?

I'd stick with this for a good few weeks, if not months, before attempting any kind of testing him!!!!

I put him on the flooras he would not let up and would not let him up till he relaxed, then it was all over although he knew he was wrong. QUOTE]

I would point out here that dogs don't think logically like us- he didn't know he was wrong...he would have just sensed the difference in you and responded to it, normally exploiting us and getting some love i.e. they win again (but we all guilty of that!!) :grinning-smiley-003

Thanks for this.

Yep we set some very clear boundaries from day one, he is not allowed on the sofa, bed etc (not allowed in the bedroom, followed hubby in there this morning but was sent out, ignored the first time but went on the second). we eat first, we ignore him if demanding attention, then call him when he walks away and give him some. We have never tried to take his bowl away. No play unless we instigate it, he does get a bit rough then so as soon as he does we put a stop to it.

He does not do toys (after spending a fortune on them!!)

It has only been for the last couple of days. he was fine before, as I said he is not a problem with anything else. He sits to have his lead put on and will not try and bolt out the door when anyone goes out, we make him sit and that is where he stays.

He has complete food with a bit of good quality tinned food in it, the problem I have everywhere I read tells you to feed them different things, help on this would be really appreciated.

It is a bit strange getting used to the differences in a husky to other dogs, tails up for example and of course those gorgeous eyes. I really hope I have not made him scared of me now.

Sorry i have read that bit about you approaching him wrong, clearly you didn't take his bowl...sorry!!!

There is a good food thread on here somewhere...

Has anything happened in the last couple of days that might make him feel he has to protect it? Did he leave some and his bowl was taken up? or did another dog pinch any, lol?

i'd give him time for now and stay away from him when feeding just for your safety and so that he can become more confident.

This is what i would do myself:

Then if you are 100% happy about his rank in the pack you could try approaching him with 'higher-prize' items so that he sees you has giving better things to him as you approach, rather than the threat of you maybe taking something away from him. Don't say his name or anything (this can be misinterpreted as affection, and therefore misunderstood as praise, even if we are 'shouting' it) just offer the high-prize treat (something really smelly and yummy to dogs over their normal food (BBQ peperami sticks are fab)...maybe crouch down with it at a short distance away - so he hasn't warned you yet, vocally or through body language,as this may have the adverse effect of rewarding his bad behaviour. Let him come away from his food bowl to retrieve his extra little reward then just let him return to his food bowl if he wants. I would always have a reward on the approach so he knows you aren't a threat.

Take it slowly one day at a time.

hope that made sense.

We had a similar issue with Max from 6 month,

Solution was at first, when he finished eating one of us would stand, give 'stay' command and give him a treat. At same time the other would remove the bowl. Pretty soon one of us could say 'stay' and take the bowl away followed by immediate reward of treat. After a couple of weeks he was into a ritual of waiting for a treat while we took his bowl away. Only down side is that he gets a bit annoyed if we don't follow the ritual now!

:) Quick update,

Whilst Meeka was asleep in the hall I started prepaing their dinner, he of course heard!! He cam out to the kitchen and I made both dogs sit. When I had finished I did a bit of washing up. He just sat there!!##

So I then hand fed both of them some food from their bowls. Took the bowls through, must admit had to literally drop my yorkies bowl but then took Meeka to his crate amd made him sit, I then put the bowl just in the door of his crate and said ok go on. He still gulped it down fairly quickly but only looked up a couple of times and did not look so agitated. When he finished I took them both out to the kitchen and gave them a treat and went and took his bowl. He still looked for more food but was okay.

Once he settled we went out for 'walk that Husky' exercise!! All quiet in Essex at the mo.

Thank you all for your advice it is so good to speak to other people that no what we are going through.

I will do it the same for a while and will try the treat for the bowl when my hubby is in at feeding time.

and the tasty alternative sounds a good idea for the future!!

:) took Meeka to his crate amd made him sit, I then put the bowl just in the door of his crate and said ok go on. He still gulped it down fairly quickly but only looked up a couple of times and did not look so agitated. When he finished I took them both out to the kitchen and gave them a treat and went and took his bowl. He still looked for more food but was okay.

this sounds like you may be on the right track. have you been feeding him in his crate?

Everything i have learned i learned from watching every single episode of the Dog Whisperer.

I found this on his site and maybe it will help.

Greetings,

With the Thanksgiving holiday to look forward to, now is a good time to think about your dog's daily feeding ritual. At the Dog Psychology Center, the pack receives a nice, long morning walk and has about 30 minutes to cool off before getting their meal. We have to make sure every dog is on the same frequency to avoid trouble. We feed them when they are at the highest level of hunger. It's like opening a restaurant and knowing that your customers are extremely hungry. We keep the doors closed until everybody says please. It makes them feel like they have worked for the food, and that makes them appreciate it more.

The calmest dog is fed first. Asking your dog to wait patiently is part of making him or her work for the food. Challenge your dog to maintain a calm-submissive state, and then reward him or her for a job well done! Never feed a dog that is excited, anxious, aggressive, or displaying any other negative behavior as this reinforces the unwanted state of mind. If you have trouble with food aggression, even if it is mild, you should call in a professional. Food can throw your dog into a very primal state, so it is best to get help before the problem intensifies.

Feeding time

I am confused on the time to feed your dog, some say twice a day some say once, my dogs have always been fed once when they get to adulthood (if there ever is such a thing!!) But maybe this is not the best for Meeka and we should split his meals.

i dont know that there is a right or wrong on how many times you should feed them. Just more dependant on the individual dog and owner.

i feed mine twice a day. Obviously i feed the same amount each day, and you would too, just split it in half if you decide to do 2 meals.

I like to do twice a day because I dont like wondering if her tummy is rumbling all night or something. Just makes me feel better is all. lol

I put him on the floor as he would not let up and would not let him up till he relaxed, then it was all over although he knew he was wrong. we ignored him for a time then I called him over for some 'love'! Hope I did this right.

Well, it didn't solve his food aggression, did it? Doing this will only serve to make him feel more threatened because he knows you are trying to challenge and intimidate him.

Last night my husband brought his bowl through and hand fed him some of the dinner, Meeka was okay sort of so he put the bowl down by his feet. Meeka went straight into 'this is mine mode', very rigid and covered his bowl appearing very agitated, if that's the right word. My hubs moved the bowl with his feet and Meeka's back went up he was told no but he carried on eating his food really quickly.

What do you do before you feed him?

Resource guarding is very common and dogs do it not out of dominance but because they feel threatened and feel the need to protect their food.

My first step with a resource guarder would be to teach them that they have nothing to feel threatened about. Trying to dominate or intimidate a resource guarder will make them worse because it validates the feeling they have that they need to protect their food from you.

I don't interfere with my dogs when they are feeding except for the odd occasion where I ask them to give and trade them whatever they have for something better, like a really tasty piece of meat, then I give them back whatever they have. This teaches them that relinquishing resources to me is rewarding. My dogs have no problems relinquishing resources to me without treats, but generally - once I have given them the ok to eat, I let them eat in peace.

I also teach my dogs that food is a resource I control. They learn that not only do they have to stay for their food but that they must maintain eye contact with me, looking at me not the food bowl, and that they can only have their food when I give a release command.

is he aware of his place in your pack? Dogs and humans? It's one thing us thinking we're the boss but it's another in the eyes of the dog.... Do you let him wander everywhere in the house? sleep on the bed? climb on the sofa? eat before you? play when he wants to play etc? The reason I ask is because if the answer to any of these is yes then he most probably ranks himself higher than you in terms of heirarchy in is new pack!! In dog terms the higher ranking one has every right to protect his food...

I have to disagree here. Two of my dogs often sleep on my bed with me and sit on the lounge with me and I don't have any problems with them thinking they are higher up in the pack with me. After all, the alpha dog of a pack doesn't sleep alone, he sleeps with his pack around him, and that doesn't change his position in the pack.

What is important is if the dog gets off the lounge/bed/furniture when you ask them ;)

Even lower pack members resource guard so it's not always about asserting dominance or the dog thinking they are higher up in the pack.

I have to disagree here. Two of my dogs often sleep on my bed with me and sit on the lounge with me and I don't have any problems with them thinking they are higher up in the pack with me. After all, the alpha dog of a pack doesn't sleep alone, he sleeps with his pack around him, and that doesn't change his position in the pack.

What is important is if the dog gets off the lounge/bed/furniture when you ask them ;)

Even lower pack members resource guard so it's not always about asserting dominance or the dog thinking they are higher up in the pack.

:grinning-smiley-003

I agree and mine climb all over our sofa but we're talking here about someone who has only just had this dog and doesn't know what it's problems are just yet therefore i find it is always best to establish the basics i.e. personal safety and rank, which is why i asked the question...if you read on she then said that that particular thing wasn't a problem so i suggested she try the reward :grinning-smiley-003

With resource guarding what you have to work on is removing the source of his anxiety and teach him to feel confident when people are around him and his dinner. ..."If you teach your dog never to growl without removing the source of his fear and anxiety, there is a very real risk that he may, one day, bite someone with no warning." Hence don't puunish him for growling, stick to the rewards!!

by the way good post...added to rep!

Cheers everyone for all the advice.

I am going to continue with the sit, look at me, wait until I say it is okay. Then leave him Once he has this okay I will try with the tasty treat etc. I am not expecting it to be a quick fix but I have loads of patience and now can understand how he is feeling.

I was VERY worried I was doing it all wrong but think I am doing okay. I would love to let him in the bedroom (he sleeps by the door, it is open but has a gate across) but I do have a small dog also and am still not 100% sure of him not wanting to munch her for a midnight snack!! He rarely tries to go in there even during the day when the gate is open.

It has only been nearly 3 weeks since I have had him so is still early days and as said before have very little history on him.

:grinning-smiley-003

I agree and mine climb all over our sofa but we're talking here about someone who has only just had this dog and doesn't know what it's problems are just yet therefore i find it is always best to establish the basics i.e. personal safety and rank, which is why i asked the question...if you read on she then said that that particular thing wasn't a problem so i suggested she try the reward :grinning-smiley-003

I figured that's what you meant, but I just wanted to clarify instead people thought that meant you couldn't have a dog sitting on furniture or sleeping on the bed while still maintaining good leadership.

With resource guarding what you have to work on is removing the source of his anxiety and teach him to feel confident when people are around him and his dinner. ..."If you teach your dog never to growl without removing the source of his fear and anxiety, there is a very real risk that he may, one day, bite someone with no warning." Hence don't puunish him for growling, stick to the rewards!!

I agree, I would never punish for resource guarding. Like we have both said, an under confident, anxious dog who feels threatened will resource guard. A dog who is comfortable with you and respects you will not resource guard. Punishment has no place in cases like this because it will validate the anxiety the dog is feeling.

I figured that's what you meant, but I just wanted to clarify instead people thought that meant you couldn't have a dog sitting on furniture or sleeping on the bed while still maintaining good leadership.

I agree, I would never punish for resource guarding. Like we have both said, an under confident, anxious dog who feels threatened will resource guard. A dog who is comfortable with you and respects you will not resource guard. Punishment has no place in cases like this because it will validate the anxiety the dog is feeling.

i knew we were both singing from same hymn sheet (so to speak) i know what i meant but i should have explained more clearly, i forget people can read things the wrong way over the internet...back to internet school for me :) :grinning-smiley-003

Update

Just to let all know things are MUCH MUCH better, no jumping for the bowl, sits makes eye contact and only goes to eat when told it is okay. No guarding or anything. Comes away for a treat and is fine for us to remove bowl when finished. Obviously just had a strange couple of days. Still feed the dogs apart but all going great.

Meeka fell in love with my mum and decided he needed to sit on her lap!!! But got down when told....

• 4 weeks later...

kodah did that at first ...but i nipped that in the butt real quick, THIS my house ,MY food....i would give him small amounts of food and would pet him while he was eating ...grab some out bowl and feed him from hand....if any aggression i would take the food make him sit in corner then call him back towards bowl give him command to sit then i would place the bowl back......of course be carefull when putting hands by the food they could nip, kodah did once or twice. but doesnt do that anymore i am master not him. my other dogs are not aggressive with food , i'm not sure if its just the breed. i rtead somewhere that when huskies are bread in the litter , the pups are last in the food chain so must be aggressive in order to eat and climb the ladder of status.