pigment-related congenital deafness

Since I brought it up the other day in the list of strange questions I had been asked about Nukka I.E "Is she deaf coz she has blue eyes?", I'd been doing abit of research just because Im strange and things like this interst me.. Found an interesting journal about the condition... aparently it has been reported in Siberian Huskies but is far more common in other breeds... its up hill reading but interesting stuff if your interested in genetics etc in the way I am.

Check it out if your interested...

http://www.lsu.edu/deafness/VetJDeaf2004.pdf

It's claimed blue eyes in Huskies originally came about as a protective trait: they reflect the light better than dark eyes on vast expanses of snow.

I don't believe there is any higher incidence of deafness among blue eyed, or white sibes (another group commonly misconcieved as having some sort of genetic weakness) than among the general dog population at large, excluding breeds known to have a genetic problem with deafness in the presence of certain traits.

The BEST goup of sibe owners to pose that question to would be the Seppala owners: A bloodline with an above average incidence of blue eyes in their makeup.