puppies eyes

Pefectly normal for them to look cloudy in the early stages. They actually don't see too well when they first open their eyes and their eyes can have a cloudy, sort of 'grey haze' look to them as their eyes are still developing. It wouldn't concern me unless they still look cloudy at 5- 6 weeks (we take ours for a vet check at this stage, and eyes are included in that).

It is possible for them to be born with eye problems, but your only likely to come across it in a thoughtlessly-bred litter (Where the parents have not been eye tested)

I've never had a dog that's had a litter, so I can't advise anything but Lyn is experienced & I'd go with her judgement on this one - rep added, Lyn. I know puppies sight is not great for the first few weeks but wasn't sure how many weeks you would expect the eyes to be 'normal'.

Just in case I would check with the breeder that both parents were eye-tested. If possible, find out whether the grandparents and great-grandparents were clear as well. We recently came across a case of a dog where both parents had tested clear, but one of the grandparents had hereditary cataracts. Unfortunately, he had been bred from before testing and the info had not been passed on to the owners of his pups. The breeder tested his own bitch in good faith and she tested clear, but was obviously a carrier. The result is that the dog in question has cataracts in both eyes and very little vision left at only 18 months. You really can't be too careful.

Mick

Also, i'm not sure if Entropian is common in Huskies? This would normally be seen in one eye and in basic terms it is where the the eyelid rolls inwards, most commonly the lower lid. I've seen this in a few puppies where the eyelashes then rub on the surface of the eye, irritating it and then the inner eyelid comes across to protect the eye making it appera cloudy.

This was the last pup we had with this condition, notice the left eye looks cloudy (& inflamed at that) She was 12weeks in this picture and it was showing signs of improvement here after lots and lots of medi-care!

P7280549.jpg

Also worth bearing in mind that it can show at any age from when the puppies are born and can be hereditory - if any pups are showing signs of this now i would steer well clear of them. It's can be a very expensive condition to treat and not many insurances cover it if the pup was born with it...

i already checked the eyes for anything like that and there is no sign of it. the mother and father both have good eyes and no signs of hip displasia.

i asked my breeder (tammie) about it and she said it waas because their eyes just opened. some had one eye open and others had two. so their eyes should be back to normal in a day or two.

Just check by 'good eyes' and 'no sign of dysplasia' that her breeder actually means proper eye tests and hip scores have been done :grinning-smiley-003.

Its often easy to spot eye problems like cateracts and Progressive retinal atrophy by looking at the eyes, but there are several conditions, including narrow angles and predisposition to gloucoma that can only be spotted and assessed though a proper veterinary eye test.

You could look at one of our girls and say she has 'good eyes'. they look perfectly normal and you would have no way of knowing by looking that shes actually predisposed to gloucoma and has very poor drainage angles in both eyes and has the future possibility of developing gloucoma and loosing her sight.