Husky Training

Blue

What is the best way to let Blue know when he has done something wrong.

Like when he toilets in a place other than where we have shown him ?

How old is Blue?

I don't punish for toileting in the 'wrong' place, because the result tends to be that the dog learns not to toilet in front of you, instead of learning where they should toilet.

For pups I take them out on a schedule, every hour on the hour, after naps, when they wake up in the morning, after they've been fed, had a drink, played etc. I reward them for toileting in the right spot and if I catch them doing it inside I wordlessly take the outside and praise them when they do the right thing.

How old is Blue?

I don't punish for toileting in the 'wrong' place, because the result tends to be that the dog learns not to toilet in front of you, instead of learning where they should toilet.

For pups I take them out on a schedule, every hour on the hour, after naps, when they wake up in the morning, after they've been fed, had a drink, played etc. I reward them for toileting in the right spot and if I catch them doing it inside I wordlessly take the outside and praise them when they do the right thing.

He is 7 weeks. I take him to his spot all the time on a lead and praise him and treat him when he does it. We never punish him but I dont think he gets it when I say NO BAD DOG ! Or is he by the tone of my voice ?:confused:

He is 7 weeks. I take him to his spot all the time on a lead and praise him and treat him when he does it. We never punish him but I dont think he gets it when I say NO BAD DOG ! Or is he by the tone of my voice ?:confused:

Well, at seven weeks he wouldn't 'get' why you are yelling at him. He's only a baby puppy and at seven weeks, should really still be with his mum and litter mates.

The best way to train any puppy is to ensure you are patient and consistent. I can't think of many reasons why you would be needing to yell 'NO BAD DOG' at a seven week old puppy - he's not doing anything naughty because he's defying you, but because he hasn't learnt any better yet. He is relying on you to train him and teach him what to do, so he knows what is the right behaviour and what isn't.

That's not to say I don't use voice corrections or anything - I do, but not as a way of teaching the dog or pup; it's not fair to be punished for something when you don't know any better ;):)

Something to keep in mind, and I mentioned this in your welcome thread questions. I'm willing to bet that Blue knows what is expected of him... but you have to react quicker. If a 7 week old puppy is trying to tell you he needs to go out, the signs aren't going to be blazing obvious and you are to slow to react, he'll have an accident. Ask me how I know! LOL

With that being said, after a nap, after playing, after eating, pretty much after anything take him out. At 7 weeks, their bladder might as well be the size of a thimble and they really have no idea how to control it. Reinforce good habits now, and it will pay off in the end. At that age, you probably can't take them out to potty "too much"

reat advice, added to reps

Took my boys a while but they got there, i ignored them if they did it in the house and took them right outside but when they went outside they got loads of fuss - soon got the hang of it :)

oh thats right, i should have added, when they do go outside you have to make it seem like it's the biggest event ever!

Something to keep in mind, and I mentioned this in your welcome thread questions. I'm willing to bet that Blue knows what is expected of him..

I'm not sure a seven week old puppy really has a clue what is expected of him, you gotta give them a chance to be taught what the rules are first! :)

We've been working on potty training Kahtadin - when we got him, he wasn't potty trained at all! We started by taking him out in the morning when he gets up, and then about once an hour throughout the day. He's crated when we're not home, and then he goes outside as soon aswe get home and he's out of the crate (whether it's 10 minutes or an hour). We spent time watching him to learn his signals that he's looking for the perfect spot outside (he will circle around a lot) and if he has to go inside (he paces and heads to corners, or he goes by himself into the bathroom or bedroom). So if we see him doing any of that, he goes outside.

If we catch him looking for a spot inside or just before he has an accident, we get him outside asap, and then praise him for going outside. Our biggest thing is to get him outside before he has a chance to go inside, so we make sure we watch him and see if he has to go out. If he has an accident, it's because we weren't watching close enough or we weren't paying attention - it's not his fault we didn't take him out when he had to go! We do tell him no if we catch him going and then take him out so he can go out there instead, and he is doing very well! He recently started going to the door now when he has to go out.

It does help a lot having Haley with him, since he watches her and does whatever she does. So if she has to go out, she goes to the door and sits. He'll go and sit with her, and they both get taken out together, do their thing, and get praised. We make sure we praise Haley when she's out as well, even though she is potty trained. If he sees her going potty outside and getting praised for it, he might make the connection that he'll get praised for going potty outside as well!