Installed Ubuntu

Marc

Have decided I am going to have a play with Ubuntu again, however I want to do it and avoid windows for a while to force msyelf to learn it.

For anyone else who wants to try and do this, I recommend not using the windows installer if you want a fast system. I installed it using that a few week ago and wasnt impressed with the speed of it. Even though windows is not running when ubuntu is, it would seem you just dont get as clean an install.

Time to see what this [MENTION=2355]BlueWolf[/MENTION] keeps bangin on about :P

Time to see what this @BlueWolf keeps bangin on about :P

To be honest not quite any more. As a power user I feel they've limited their system too much. Ubuntu is still my #1 recommendation for those new to Linux and those new to computers (I had someone picking up the entire 'computer thing' in just two weeks with Ubuntu!). But as someone who sets quite high requirements to its system I feel it's becoming too dumbed down. I'm currently still running an old version with Gnome 2, but I want to change to another distro (probably Arch) as soon as I have the time for it.

Marc, as a beginning Linux user Ubuntu is a good way to start, though it's mainly focused on fancy GUI stuff and I am starting to understand why people always say Ubuntu isn't quite 'Linux' anymore. Linux is able to provide us -as power users- much more useful functionalities than Ubuntu is currently able to give ;)

What is it??

It (Linux as a whole) is an alternative operating system entirely created by voluntaries with the strong idea in mind that everything needs to be free to use, to change, to learn from and to be republished with your changes. It has been so good in fact that it's now being used in nearly all every day devices. TV's, modems, nearly the whole web (including husky-owners.com) and your smartphone is being powered by Linux.

However, it's not just for those specific things it's being used. It's also being used a a normal desktop much like Windows. It can do pretty much anything Windows does, if not a little bit more. I've been running Linux on all my computers for about 6 years now and I never want to go back any more!

Ubuntu is a distribution. It's a collection of programs and settings for Linux. Ubuntu basically gives you an easy way to have a complete and working desktop installed on your computer in just a few minutes, and it doesn't cost a single penny.

And that's it, explained in a (tiny) nutshell :P

It (Linux as a whole) is an alternative operating system entirely created by voluntaries with the strong idea in mind that everything needs to be free to use, to change, to learn from and to be republished with your changes. It has been so good in fact that it's now being used in nearly all every day devices. TV's, modems, nearly the whole web (including husky-owners.com) and your smartphone is being powered by Linux.

However, it's not just for those specific things it's being used. It's also being used a a normal desktop much like Windows. It can do pretty much anything Windows does, if not a little bit more. I've been running Linux on all my computers for about 6 years now and I never want to go back any more!

Ubuntu is a distribution. It's a collection of programs and settings for Linux. Ubuntu basically gives you an easy way to have a complete and working desktop installed on your computer in just a few minutes, and it doesn't cost a single penny.

And that's it, explained in a (tiny) nutshell :P

Aaaa interesting!!!

Marc, as a beginning Linux user Ubuntu is a good way to start, though it's mainly focused on fancy GUI stuff and I am starting to understand why people always say Ubuntu isn't quite 'Linux' anymore. Linux is able to provide us -as power users- much more useful functionalities than Ubuntu is currently able to give ;)

Such as?

Problem I have with some of the other distros from what I have seen so far is the fact they dont have the fancy GUI stuff. I want the power on the system, however just because I want that shouldnt mean I have to have something which looks ugly.

Such as?

Problem I have with some of the other distros from what I have seen so far is the fact they dont have the fancy GUI stuff. I want the power on the system, however just because I want that shouldnt mean I have to have something which looks ugly.

You can still do most of the things but Unity removes the whole desktop tweaking part. You're still able to change it but it's more hidden away in shady text files. It feels like how Windows XP was. You have three basic themes and if you want more you have to get dirty by changing dll files you have no idea of what they do. I just want a computer that, when I boot it, I can instantly do what *I* want. Unity is kind of pushing it's own stuff instead of asking what you want, like the previous Ubuntu versions.

I've seen the most beautiful desktops with combinations of Compiz (true 3D desktop), Conky (desktop system monitor with many functions), AWN (beautiful Mac-like dock) and other neat applications. All of these can't be run with Unity enabled :(

Though I don't meant this to discourage you from using Ubuntu. In the end it's just a personal preference. I've been using Ubuntu since the moment I first learned about Linux and now it feels like I've outgrown it and want to go further. Ubuntu was, and still is, one of the best stepping stones to get into the Linux world :)