Keeping cool while working in hot climates?

Cathy

Well, here's a question for ya'll. I live in an area that gets pretty warm in the summer. During our morning jogs (usually around 65 degrees F, and we run only 4 miles or less), Dakota will scope out cool wet grass and roll around in it (I always let him, he actually has a few favorite lawns picked out). But it surprised me when he did this yesterday during our 5k (and, again, I let him -- stopped and let him roll round and patted him). At first I was worried, but he seemed fine, so after awhile, we continued on our way.

After our race, I had a water jug waiting in the shade near the finish, his bowl, and a cooler containing a very large, soft, gel-filled ice pack (leftover from when I was in PT for a shoulder injury). I let him drink some and plopped the soft icepak on his belly, and he cooled very quickly. His gums, etc., looked fine, and I've never seen him have any real problems with heat, but the plopping on the grass thing during the race scared me a bit. I just want to make sure I know the difference between playing around for comfort and signs of real problems. I read the link on here (and every other one I could find!) about heat exhaustion/stress, etc., and the only signs he showed were drooling and the rolling on the grass.

Should I just keep doing what I'm doing? The races are not important, they're just for fun, but I was intrigued that we were actually well on our way to first place had I not stopped (I had no idea the two women in front of us were the leaders -- Dakota was still trotting along very strong when we took our pit stop).

I saw these cooling vests for working dogs to wear while working. Anybody have any experience with them or any other suggestions? Based on the testimonials, they seem like they might be ideal for our little 30-minute jogs:

http://www.helpingudders.com/CoolingVests.htm

Thanks in advance!