Getting aggresive with food

Hiya sorry to bother you all again:o but Shura has become aggresive with her food today and she scared lola and before i gave she a her tablet in a treat (she didnt eat it at first) so i went to move it she did that aggresive growl and bit me thinking it was lola. Is this just normal when introducing a dog just normal jelousy xxx any help will be welcome xxx

Well its normal for her to let Lola know its her meal, a little growl but certainly should not be biting you or Lola!!! However saying this Alaska went for Balto when he so much as sniffed her meal....but she has never shown any aggression or domminance over food/toys around the family. What did you do when she bit you? Would it be poss to get a vid of Shura to assess what kind of aggression it is?

I tryed to tap her nose but it was a bit cramped with lola there i mean she didnt hurt e to much and she knew after that she had hurt her mummy im not sure if i can get a vid , i mean it might not be anythin but it was a pretty deep growl like when somone trespasess on there teritory type thing xx

she obviously feels that the new dog means she has to assert her authority, it is normal, but my advice would be to stop the behaviour right now to stop it escalating. maybe feed them both by hand together for a few days, this will allow shura to see its you thats the boss with food, and she may not feel like guarding after she has got used to lola being around, it sounds like its just pack leadership that needs to be sorted out to me. after a few days reintroduce thier bowls, but drop the food in yourself a little at a time. it takes a while, but it really does work, or at least has for me every time ive done it with new dogs

Excellent advice Ade >> added to rep Thats a great idea, and make sure you make Shura and Lola sit and wait for their food, especc with Shura practice taking her food away several times when she eats >> if she growls you say "NO" and she can skip that meal. Even pretend to eat from the bowl..sounds silly but the alpha always eats 1st;)

Kimba did something similar when we brought Kaiser home. He used to crouch over his food and growl although he never snapped.

I removed his food when he did this and gave a firm NO. He has never been possessive over food with me or any human it was just kaiser.

He soon learnt that if he snarled near his food he wouldn't get any lol

For starters I'd be feeding them dinner separately for now just to play on the safe side. Although none of my dogs are food aggressive with each other or with people, I feed them all separately because I think they deserve to eat in peace.

What is your routine when you feed your dogs?

When I give my dogs a treat I don't pander to any pack order, the first one to obey me is the first one to get a treat. So I might tell them to sit and the dog who sits first and quickest gets the first treat. Doing little things like that encourage the dogs to learn the fastest way to get a treat is to comply with your command, not by competing with each other over food.