Season and/or New Puppy probs

Chezell

I wasn't sure if this is a Husky question or a Health question but...

Skye has come into season for the 1st time and we have a 10 week old puppy

Skye has started peeing on the newspaper left down for the puppy at night and has began to chew at the walls and skirtingboard again.

These are small prob's that I am sure will be addressed as the Sasha (the puppy) gets older,

I praise Skye whenever she 'goes' outside, on walks and in the garden and have told her 'No' when she chews.

Do you think this is because she is in season or is because we have a new puppy?

Maybe I am putting too much 'human emotion' on this, having worked with small children for 20 years ( Mmm showing my age now lol) I know they sometimes regress when a new baby come's along

and Skye is still a baby herself she is only 91/2 months

Any helpful tips would be appricated

when a new dog of any age is introduced, the pecking order changes, her current behavior may be down to asserting her roll in the pack, boredom or just plain attention seeking, im sure things will settle down in time if you maintain the discipline you had before and not let her think the pup will gain a higher status

I wouldnt say it has anythign to do with her being in season - as Isis is currently in season and her behaviour hasnt really changed at all. Shes a little more dominant towards our gsd - but she hasnt reverted. I would say its her trying to show the pecking order of the pack!

Balto and Alaska were both 5 months when we took in Balto >> they fought, Alaska was a little naughty and sometimes didn't listen when she was playing with Balto >> after play on 2 occasions she peed right in front of his face...ON OUR LOVELY CARPET!!!!!! lol Your right to think they can be a little more "puppyish" when a new pup comes into the house >> even older dogs can act younger when a pup is introduced. Best thing for the chewing is to buy an anti-chew spray for dogs >> we use it for Balto and he hates the stuff. I dont think its a huge deal for her to pee on the newspaper...espec if she doesn't do it anywhere else >> by allowing her to esert herself now there will be fewer issues in the future >> her being on heat may just make her a little narky and wee bit more territorial. However when she pees on the newspaper you could say "HEY" really loudly and startle her..pick her up mid-pee and she will stop and take her to the garden...this way YOU are esserting your domminance...which i think is best!

8 months (for dogs) is when domminance is established, your puppy will know who is the family is the boss, who they can try it on with, and their dog pack status >> when your new puppy turns 6 months she may try it on a bit...so they may have a few tiffs...which is normal!!! Then when the pup is 8 and 18 months >> they will both have another go at it..after this when their 2yrs they will really settle down ...not saying tiffs wont happen but at least they will know their place with the family and each other. When Balto got here it was 3 weeks of sold tug-of-war, play fighting.... Alaska was really asserting herself and Balto was giving it some too lol Its isusally the girls that are alpha of the 2 (after you of course) ...so right now i think she is just being domminant..perfectly normal, at least her and pup get on great:)

Balto and Alaska were both 5 months when we took in Balto >> they fought, Alaska was a little naughty and sometimes didn't listen when she was playing with Balto >> after play on 2 occasions she peed right in front of his face...ON OUR LOVELY CARPET!!!!!! lol Your right to think they can be a little more "puppyish" when a new pup comes into the house >> even older dogs can act younger when a pup is introduced. Best thing for the chewing is to buy an anti-chew spray for dogs >> we use it for Balto and he hates the stuff. I dont think its a huge deal for her to pee on the newspaper...espec if she doesn't do it anywhere else >> by allowing her to esert herself now there will be fewer issues in the future >> her being on heat may just make her a little narky and wee bit more territorial. However when she pees on the newspaper you could say "HEY" really loudly and startle her..pick her up mid-pee and she will stop and take her to the garden...this way YOU are esserting your domminance...which i think is best!

8 months (for dogs) is when domminance is established, your puppy will know who is the family is the boss, who they can try it on with, and their dog pack status >> when your new puppy turns 6 months she may try it on a bit...so they may have a few tiffs...which is normal!!! Then when the pup is 8 and 18 months >> they will both have another go at it..after this when their 2yrs they will really settle down ...not saying tiffs wont happen but at least they will know their place with the family and each other. When Balto got here it was 3 weeks of sold tug-of-war, play fighting.... Alaska was really asserting herself and Balto was giving it some too lol Its isusally the girls that are alpha of the 2 (after you of course) ...so right now i think she is just being domminant..perfectly normal, at least her and pup get on great:)

Great answer babe!!!!! Added to Rep :151: cant add anything on to that you hit the nail on the head!!!

when a new dog of any age is introduced, the pecking order changes, her current behavior may be down to asserting her roll in the pack, boredom or just plain attention seeking, im sure things will settle down in time if you maintain the discipline you had before and not let her think the pup will gain a higher status

Good Reply Ade!!!! Added to Rep :icon14: :D would defo agree with that!!