CNET tech tracker help needed please

Mollys Dad

I used to use this years ago and it was fine. Downloaded it last night, installed and did a scan. Click on the 'get updates' button and it takes me to a page that 'does not recognize your computer' and tells me to download the thing I have already run. Huh?

I have emailed their tech support but not heard back from them so I thought I'd try on here

I've gotten to the point that I'm very careful about what I look at from CNet. At one time I thought they were a good provider, but it seems as if more and more of what they have available falls into the "trash" category.

One I've used and like, other than the amount of time it takes, is PSI from Securia

Pros: it appears to be reasonably accurate, good since it depends on "the other guy" to keep them up to date.

Cons: it does take time to run since it looks at almost <??> all the executables it can find on drive C. It also includes a start up version which *I* personally find offensive, it might be nice, but I have enough stuff I use all the time loading at startup, I don't need more.

I've seen some recommendations for SUMo so took a look at it and have little good to say. It's another one of those programs that want to load 75 toolbars and everything else it can while it's installing itself - not a good sign on my book. Ran the program and it told me that my virus protection ( NOD32 from ESET ) was out of date - nope, they update me twice a day < at least > with virus identifiers and any other program / data updates they think I need from them. SUMo is off my books<period>.

As a comment, you do run any install as a custom install rather than accepting their default, don't you? Accepting the defaults and / or not looking as you're clicking okay can lead to a plethora of trash being installed on your computer, into your browser, into your start menu and who knows what else from there.

Their tech support have got back to me and are looking into it. This is not so much about seeing what they provide, more about getting updates for what I have, or at least thats how it used to work many years ago. I'll see what they come up with. I hate it when programs decide to run at startup - ask me first before assuming you can control my machine! Also don't load a million extra toolbars or there will be no screen space left for actual web content! Always use custom installs, I just wanted to see if CNET's automatic update *alert* would work - I would then control the updates myself just using this to tell me they are available