How much food should a 4month male be eating?

My Sibe Storm, is now just over 4months and has been on James wellbeloved since birth but has always had a dodgy tummy on it, so we've just changed him to Burns and he's now got nice tough ones, which is great but he always seems hungry, when before sometimes he would leave food in the bowl now it doesnt touch the sides! is there a reccomended amount for a husky? we feed him twice a day but he runs every day with me and sometimes can see his rib cage, as there's no comparisons around here im just going on what the food bag states onto how much to give him.

Any other Huskys around cornwall for running?

cheers all:cool::cool::2gunsfiring_v1:

How far each day are you running him?

Most experienced people would suggest that owners stick to the "5 minute" rule - ie 5 minutes exercise per month of age per day. At four months, that would mean 20 minutes a day at most. Overexercise can put excessive strain on a growing pup's joints. Most pups get all the exercise they need from play. We don't start running our pups until they are about 9 months (and then over short distances). They don't start exercising fully until they are a year old.

For the first 6 months pups are growing at an enormous rate and in theory, most of their food will be used to build bone and muscle. Over-exercise might impede this and the appetite may be increased to compensate. Having said that most of ours are complete pigs and would carry on eating forever given the opportunity.

Mick

i would feed your pup high energy food, for 2 reasons.

1 he is growing

2 he is out running with you.

dont overdo the running, at 4 months old the growth plates on the bones are still very soft, and to much excercise can damage them(according to my vets)

when he reaches a year switch him to a decent maintenance diet. if he starts to thin up a bit then suppliment his food with extras.

huskys have very very efficient metabolisms, and only need to eat massive ammounts when they are doing things like the iditarod. where a lot of the food is burnt up for heat.

Having said that most of ours are complete pigs and would carry on eating forever given the opportunity.

Mick

Yep - mine too LOL

Good advice on the 5 min rule added to rep.

David, added to rep as well :)

I think Amy (Siberian Wolf) and Kevin, Peiper and Sky are fairly near you - Amy won't be on until tomorrow as is away fishing