Saarloos Wolfhounds and Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs....a question to you all.

I wouldnt say the owner really needs to be wary of the wolf ness, its more likely to matierialise to strangers by being aloof and wary. Pacing and circling someone might appear threatening to someone not in the know.

Fair enough :)

A few people have talked about fear aggression manifesting itself via the dogs waryness around strangers.... although it only seems to be a very few. I think probably 90/95% of things ive read suggest that theyd no more likely attack anyone than a husky would. I love what im reading about them, more in particular; the Saarloos. :)

Well....im off to read some more :P lol

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know too much about Saarloos wolfdogs but I've visited a guy who rescues them. He has them both in his home, in a big enclosure and another big enclosure that also has rescued wolves in it. Their personality really depend on how much wolf they have in them. The two at his home where somewhat protective bot above all: very scared of everything that was out of the ordinary (like me drinking thee apparently :rolleyes:). They where both watching us very closely, but ran away as soon as we looked at them.

They where very focussed on his owners. The one with the wolves where scared of us too, but loved his owner. He could do everything with them :)

IMG_6234.JPG

There was also one old low-content wolfdog who didn't mind strangers. In fact, he loved the attention!

IMG_6254.JPG

So again, it I think it all boils down how much wolf they have in them. All these dogs where rescued by the way, they where once owner by people who couldn't care for them any more. Even shelters have ask him to take their wolfdogs because they where unable to handle them. So that alone tells me it are dogs you have to investigate a lot before trying to own one.

robke This guy, Jos de Bruin, lives just over the border in Germany. Not that far away from you in fact: Sonsbeck. If you like wolves but also Saarloos wolfdogs I can really recommend him to you to visit him some day. He loves all his animals, knows a lot about them and also LOVES to talk about them! I've been there before and had a great day with him!

I don't know too much about Saarloos wolfdogs but I've visited a guy who rescues them. He has them both in his home, in a big enclosure and another big enclosure that also has rescued wolves in it. Their personality really depend on how much wolf they have in them. The two at his home where somewhat protective bot above all: very scared of everything that was out of the ordinary (like me drinking thee apparently :rolleyes:). They where both watching us very closely, but ran away as soon as we looked at them.

They where very focussed on his owners. The one with the wolves where scared of us too, but loved his owner. He could do everything with them :)

IMG_6234.JPG

There was also one old low-content wolfdog who didn't mind strangers. In fact, he loved the attention!

IMG_6254.JPG

So again, it I think it all boils down how much wolf they have in them. All these dogs where rescued by the way, they where once owner by people who couldn't care for them any more. Even shelters have ask him to take their wolfdogs because they where unable to handle them. So that alone tells me it are dogs you have to investigate a lot before trying to own one.

robke This guy, Jos de Bruin, lives just over the border in Germany. Not that far away from you in fact: Sonsbeck. If you like wolves but also Saarloos wolfdogs I can really recommend him to you to visit him some day. He loves all his animals, knows a lot about them and also LOVES to talk about them! I've been there before and had a great day with him!

Thanks so much for such a comprehensive response, Jos :)

As far as i know, full/'purebred' saarlooswolfhond are further removed from wolves than most wolf hybrids. Or this is what i seem to be reading. Do you know how old his Saarloos' were? Also, when you say that they were scared of you, did you feel that this would have ever manifested itself in fear aggression? Or was it more that they were a little aloof towards you?

Thanks so much for such a comprehensive response, Jos :)

As far as i know, full/'purebred' saarlooswolfhond are further removed from wolves than most wolf hybrids. Or this is what i seem to be reading. Do you know how old his Saarloos' were? Also, when you say that they were scared of you, did you feel that this would have ever manifested itself in fear aggression? Or was it more that they were a little aloof towards you?

I don't really know to be honest. I've only been there for one day so I've only seen them for a short time. When I stood up they where barking. But not in a aggressive way more more in a "I'm scared, please go away" way. They where never threatened to me at any time.

I *think* that if I would be coming back there every day they eventually will get used to me, but it'll take some time. I also think you have to carefully watch your own behaviour as well as they really seem to look at you that way (standing up = all of them barking for example).

Don't know how old the Saarloos was. He was just standing there taking it all :) Everything, even is coat, felt old.

I agree. I think it's illegal in Canada to own a wolfdog without a license either, no matter what percentage it is.

There is a breeder here who breeds an artic wolf hybrid and a timber wolf hybrid and a white GSD they have to register all of their dogs so Im pretty sure your right. Heres pics of them tho they are AMAZING

Simba_Selina002_sm_f7c75.Large.jpg?u=08599e2d-dc73-4884-962b-ce05b4f92633

I don't really know to be honest. I've only been there for one day so I've only seen them for a short time. When I stood up they where barking. But not in a aggressive way more more in a "I'm scared, please go away" way. They where never threatened to me at any time.

I *think* that if I would be coming back there every day they eventually will get used to me, but it'll take some time. I also think you have to carefully watch your own behaviour as well as they really seem to look at you that way (standing up = all of them barking for example).

Don't know how old the Saarloos was. He was just standing there taking it all :) Everything, even is coat, felt old.

So the ones that were a little scared and cautious of you were the wolf hybrids? Or were they Saarloos? I might have misread what youve written (its early for me this morning haha). I understand what you mean about watching your own behaviour around them, though. That makes sense :)

I do have the website but is only in German and a bit of Dutch. nice pics though.

He has one in Dutch as well but both sites aren't really updated nowadays: http://wolves-unlimited.com/

Here I have more pictures of my visit if you're interested :)http://bluewolf.nl/wolvesunlimited/. Some pictures have tooltips as it can be a bit hard distinguishing the wolfdogs from the wolves.

So the ones that were a little scared and cautious of you were the wolf hybrids? Or were they Saarloos? I might have misread what youve written (its early for me this morning haha). I understand what you mean about watching your own behaviour around them, though. That makes sense :)

The dogs I'm talking about where all Saarloos wolfdogs. Some where low-content wolfdog while others had no problems living among the wolves.

He has one in Dutch as well but both sites aren't really updated nowadays: http://wolves-unlimited.com/

Here I have more pictures of my visit if you're interested :)http://bluewolf.nl/wolvesunlimited/. Some pictures have tooltips as it can be a bit hard distinguishing the wolfdogs from the wolves.

The dogs I'm talking about where all Saarloos wolfdogs. Some where low-content wolfdog while others had no problems living among the wolves.

Awesome, thanks :) Im going to check out the pictures now :)