Snakes...

Elyse

So, let's say if a person...not me, a hypothetical person, wanted to buy a snake...what would you tell them? Is the breeding of snakes regulated, is the situation as bad as dogs and cats? What would be the best and easiest snake for a beginner?

Again - I'm not the hypothetical person. The hypothetical person is a friend.

Oh, and is it a good idea to buy a pet snake when you have other pets in the house?

Hmm interesting question. Like any and all pets you want to get it from a reputable source. It's so very important with any animal that you know where it comes from, what genetic problems may be present, and above all else that it is socialized from a young age as far as human handling goes. I personally love our local reptile show there are some awesome breeders that go there and they have the most amazing reptiles.

A beginner snake would be something docile and simple like a ball python or a red tailed boa. The ball seems to be more active than the boa from what I've seen but both are fairly calm personality wise. Corn and King snakes are also great beginners though they don't grow as big as the boa and python do. I would NEVER recommend a large constrictor or a venomous snake as a beginning pet; let alone as a "pet" at all. Something man just shouldn't have in a home lol

As for other pets it depends on the pets and the free range of the snake. My former roomie had a great ball very sweet and docile but the dogs obviously thought it was a fun toy. Suffice it to say they were never in the room while the snake was stretching it's scales. As long as the tank is secure, snakes like huskies are notorious escape artists, and your other pets can't get into or knock over the tank they should be fine. It's really a case by case basis though depending on the animals.

Did your friend do much research yet on any snake type they are interested in?

Hmm interesting question. Like any and all pets you want to get it from a reputable source. It's so very important with any animal that you know where it comes from, what genetic problems may be present, and above all else that it is socialized from a young age as far as human handling goes. I personally love our local reptile show there are some awesome breeders that go there and they have the most amazing reptiles.

A beginner snake would be something docile and simple like a ball python or a red tailed boa. The ball seems to be more active than the boa from what I've seen but both are fairly calm personality wise. Corn and King snakes are also great beginners though they don't grow as big as the boa and python do. I would NEVER recommend a large constrictor or a venomous snake as a beginning pet; let alone as a "pet" at all. Something man just shouldn't have in a home lol

As for other pets it depends on the pets and the free range of the snake. My former roomie had a great ball very sweet and docile but the dogs obviously thought it was a fun toy. Suffice it to say they were never in the room while the snake was stretching it's scales. As long as the tank is secure, snakes like huskies are notorious escape artists, and your other pets can't get into or knock over the tank they should be fine. It's really a case by case basis though depending on the animals.

That's what I told him...you gotta be careful with that. Any idea how he'd be able to find reputable breeders? Or if he can adopt any from the humane society?

I think he said he was interested in getting a Rosy Boa, or a Sand Boa. I'm trying to encourage him to do more research on them, though. :)

A rosy would be better than a ball since balls have a tendency to be nippy and they are really picky eaters and go off their food (gee like a husky lol). Rosy's are docile like the balls but have a better temperament over time I think. Balls also require misting and can't have a screen top due to their humidity requirements. I wouldn't recommend a sand boa to a beginner. As the name suggests they like sand and will bury themselves. The problem with that is they will sense any and all movement above them and strike to find the prey; even if it is just you cleaning or trying to pet it or something.They are fairly docile I believe but their tendency to strike would be a big concern for those not wishing to get bit.

Um as for reputable breeders as I suggested I think reptile expos are the best place to get a reptile as a pet; especially for a first timer. Our humane society here doesn't have reptiles but there are alot of rescue about to which is where my roomie got his ball. You could also try this forum I found http://www.reptilescanada.com/forums/ they seem to have some great information and people on there maybe it will help your friend come to a more informed decision.

I agree with most of what you said, however, a red-tailed boa is NOT recommended as a first time snake. They grow to about 10 feet and up to 50 pounds, live for up to 30 years and as far as constrictors go can be more aggressive than most pet breeds when not handled on a regular basis.

Corn and King snakes are great starter snakes, but the easiest snake to own is probably a Kenyan sand boa. They max out at less than 3 feet (which is a little small for my taste). They live in a sand substrate that (with proper cleaning) you only have to change twice a year. They need a dry climate so temperature control in the terrarium is usually pretty easy. You give them water once every week or two. They feed seasonally from once every 2 weeks to once every 3 months in the winter on a single hopper mouse (mine would only eat live mice despite frequent attempts to convert her to thawed mice. It was, however, freaking awesome watching her hunt Tremors-style). They are gentle snakes that rarely ever bite - mine never did once. They spend most of their time hiding in the sand, just their nose poking out. The downside is that they are ground-dwelling snakes, so they don't curl around your arm very well and must always be supported. But they are beautiful snakes! I don't have a picture of Tiamat on this computer, but here's a generic online photo:

1424905414_b4c3cbfbcb.jpg

*sniff* Makes me miss my baby! She died two years ago. For my next snake I've always wanted a ball python - I just love them. I've cared for them in the past but never owned one. I just can't talk hubby into agreeing to get one (he adamantly didn't want Tiamat, but my sister went behind his back and got her for me for christmas :D) , and truthfully I'm not home all that often anyway.

But I digress. You should also check the laws in your area - for example, any constrictor is illegal to own in Saskatchewan, so technically even my little 2-foot sand boa was illegal to own.

As for other pets - the dogs never cared about her, but the cat knew she was there and wanted to get her. One time I took Tiamat out of her terrarium and left it open to put the water dish in. When I came back my cat had jumped through the narrow gap in the terrarium and was slooooowly dragging his paw through the sand, searching for the snake. I thought it was rather clever of the cat, actually, because he knew where the snake would hide. Fortunately I had her out with me! After snapping a few photos I scared the begeezus out of my cat and kicked him out of there. Part of a cat's "natural" diet includes reptiles, so they will look upon them as tasty morsels.

Breeding is not regulated, and it may be tough to know what you're going to get. Popular breeds are likely captive bred, but you do have to watch for the rarer species, because they are often caught in the wild and shipped overseas on the black market, and it's surprising where they'll turn up!

As with any first-time pet, there are a ton of new things to learn - what's normal for the breed/species, common health problems, etc.

I wouldn't recommend a sand boa to a beginner. As the name suggests they like sand and will bury themselves. The problem with that is they will sense any and all movement above them and strike to find the prey; even if it is just you cleaning or trying to pet it or something.They are fairly docile I believe but their tendency to strike would be a big concern for those not wishing to get bit.

Actually, the opposite is true. They do bury themselves, but if you put your finger in the sand, drag it around until you find them, then hook their belly and pull them up, they rarely even flinch, let alone strike. Their defense reaction only happens when they are touched on the back without warning, because as a ground-dwelling snake that is where an attack would come from. And even then, the majority of the time their defense reaction is a mad thrash rather than a bite. I owned one and have handled two others, and in conversations online with other sand boa owners the observation is the same. I was able to feed and house my snake in the same terrarium - which is usually a no-no. She was so timid that when I tried putting her in another container to feed she wouldn't even try.

Ah. Thanks for the opinions, guys!

Oh, and he also wants to confirm...even though he thinks he already knows the answer...snakes need to be let out of their enclosures sometimes to exercise and 'stretch', right? Wouldn't that be dangerous or annoying if they manage to hide underneath furniture?

Oh, and he also wants to confirm...even though he thinks he already knows the answer...snakes need to be let out of their enclosures sometimes to exercise and 'stretch', right? Wouldn't that be dangerous or annoying if they manage to hide underneath furniture?

Not really. If your terrarium is large enough that the snake can stretch out fully they don't need to go out. But why the hell would anyone buy snake just to look at?? I love holding them. Whenever I see a garter snake I go all Steve Irwin on its ass. I've leapt off a moving horse to pursue one, and startled an old lady at the dog park because she kindly warned us that there was a snake on the path ahead. The moment she said it my eye widened and I bolted. My sister said the lady asked her "oh dear, is she afraid of snakes?" To which my sister rolled her eyes, sighed and said "no, she'll be right back." And I did come back with my new best friend!

You just never let them go when you have them out. You can't let them wander around your house and you can't just make a pen to keep them in, because they WILL get out, and they WILL find places to hide that you didn't even think were possible. Escape artist snakes have been terrifying neighbours for decades.

Knowing not too much about snakes (yet) I can still tell what happened at our school when someone forgot to properly close the window of the snake's terrarium in the classroom: The snake escaped when no one saw it about a week ago and still hasn't been found yet :duh:

Believe me, people have been searching but we believe it's hiding in the only place left that we can't see and reach: behind the sink. The only thing we can do is to wait for him to come out of its hiding place at some point and hope to immediately grab him. It's a friendly snake though, but I still see some classmates becoming a bit anxious when we enter that classroom every time :rolleyes:

Knowing not too much about snakes (yet) I can still tell what happened at our school when someone forgot to properly close the window of the snake's terrarium in the classroom: The snake escaped when no one saw it about a week ago and still hasn't been found yet :duh:

Believe me, people have been searching but we believe it's hiding in the only place left that we can't see and reach: behind the sink. The only thing we can do is to wait for him to come out of its hiding place at some point and hope to immediately grab him. It's a friendly snake though, but I still see some classmates becoming a bit anxious when we enter that classroom every time :rolleyes:

That happened way back when I was in school too. They rarely go far - ours was found wrapped around the warm water pipes less than 6 feet from her terrarium. Wherever the nearest source of heat is, he'll probably go there, and won't come out until he's good and hungry!

If that's where you think he is, you can try tempting him with dinner. Leave a mouse or rabbit or whatever he eats on the floor in the open, but near the wall so he's not so reluctant, and see if he'll come out for a snack.

:offtopic: I am, to put it politely, a dis-liker of snakes. They just give me the creeps. My son has a ball python and thinks it's just great. Serves it's purpose, I suppose.....when he wants me to leave, all he has to do is get it out of the cage and I'm half way home before he sits back down.

anyway, :sorry: I interrupted your discussion. It's quite interesting to read.

• 2 weeks later...

He decided he doesn't want a snake; he came to his senses and realized he wouldn't have the time to take care of it right now. But he read all your posts here and he said: "Thanks for all the information! I learned a lot on snakes so I'll be better prepared when I get one eventually."

My sister has 3 snakes. A reticulated, a california king, and a jungle carpet python. Snakes are good pets. But you have to know what your doing. If your friend thought about breeding them, hed have to be careful. Snakes will eat each other, or try and kill one another. We let hers out all the time and play with them. There very friendly and I love them. We don't let them out together though because they want to kill each other. Other animals in the house would be in danger if the lid on the take is not properly secured. The bigger the snake, the more danger the animal would be in if it got out. A great beginner snake would be a corn snake. They come in various colors and a usually very good pets. Snakes are known to get upper respiratory tract infections and stuff like that if not properly cared for or are subjected to another snake, that may seem healty but has it and you haven't recognized the symptons. Also, they require lots of care with there lighting and heating, and a good bulb normally runs about 35-50 bucks. In the long run your going to be spending alot of money. Tell him before he makes the final decision, is he financially able...Fuzzies, and pickies and rats, and depending on how big it gets, guinea pigs, etc add up. Hope that helped some.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband is from the south and has had reptiles his whole life. Not something I was thrilled about, never even seeing a snake in the wild here in Michigan. I had to get used to dealing with snakes, I was TERRIFIED! Now, I love them. We have had up to 5 snakes in the last 3 years together. He is experienced with all breeds though. I would recommend a docile snake for the first one, we had a pair of spotted pythons that were dolls! So sweet and just loved people. We have a Jungle Carpet Python and man, he's grumpy! I let my husband deal with him, I don't enjoy being bit constantly. Snakes aren't like dogs, you can't tell their temperment. They need a lot of things and cost a lot of money. We have 2 dogs and a gecko as well and our husky is very interested in "playing" with the gecko. It looks like a toy and he always tries to smack it. Ha. He has to stay in the other room when he comes out now. I am a reformed reptile person now, with a new appreciation for animals I didn't know much about. If your friend has ANY questions, please contact me and he can talk to my husband. He's kept tons and tons of snakes and knows more about them then any person should have to listen to. Trust me, lol.