Age of Blindness/Deafness?

Elyse

With Bo, who passed at 15 years and 4 months, I didn't notice his eyesight going as much as I did his hearing. I know he did loose some hearing, but it's difficult to say how much due to his stubborn nature and his selective hearing to begin with. I'd say the biggest change came at about the age of 12 as far as hearing goes. (To be honest though, Ryn hears less than Bo did and I know hers is selective!)

I lost Bo to a stroke on March 7, 2010. Other than some arthritis, he was pretty healthy - as a young dog, he survived a bout with parvo and two bad cases of pneumonia after being outside when a neighboring farmer sprayed chemicals on his farm field.

A bit heavy near the end of his days, but otherwise healthy, no lingering effects with his lungs - no cancer, nothing. I have no idea what his lines were as I purchased him from a backyard breeder - long, long before I knew how bad that was. (And to be totally honest, I knew nothing of the breed and am very thankful that my boy had the patience to teach me about his kind - he taught me something every day.)

With Bo, who passed at 15 years and 4 months, I didn't notice his eyesight going as much as I did his hearing. I know he did loose some hearing, but it's difficult to say how much due to his stubborn nature and his selective hearing to begin with. I'd say the biggest change came at about the age of 12 as far as hearing goes. (To be honest though, Ryn hears less than Bo did and I know hers is selective!)

I lost Bo to a stroke on March 7, 2010. Other than some arthritis, he was pretty healthy - as a young dog, he survived a bout with parvo and two bad cases of pneumonia after being outside when a neighboring farmer sprayed chemicals on his farm field.

A bit heavy near the end of his days, but otherwise healthy, no lingering effects with his lungs - no cancer, nothing. I have no idea what his lines were as I purchased him from a backyard breeder - long, long before I knew how bad that was. (And to be totally honest, I knew nothing of the breed and am very thankful that my boy had the patience to teach me about his kind - he taught me something every day.)

Ah. I'm sorry if I brought up bad memories of losing Bo...just need to know some guidelines for Suka and what the main causes of death are...so I can change his insurance to hopefully cover surgeries if needed later on....

Ah. I'm sorry if I brought up bad memories of losing Bo...just need to know some guidelines for Suka and what the main causes of death are...so I can change his insurance to hopefully cover surgeries if needed later on....

No bad memories with that old man.....life was good and the memories bring only smiles (OK - if I must be honest, an occasional tear!) :heartbeat:

Taz was 2 months shy of 15 years old when he passed in May. His ears were good, his eyes were good, in fact, everything was good, he was incredibly healthy, but he showed problems with movement 2 weeks before I put him down.. he was diagnosed with hip dysplasia and it took him very rapidly (regardless of pain killers). It was definetly a shock and a shame, as he was extremely healthy and had perfect blood work :( And the dysplasia was probably from his genetic background, as his previous owners bought him from a pet store, so he was a puppy mill dog. Amazing how long he supressed it and never showed it until it became too much (and too late).

Taz was 2 months shy of 15 years old when he passed in May. His ears were good, his eyes were good, in fact, everything was good, he was incredibly healthy, but he showed problems with movement 2 weeks before I put him down.. he was diagnosed with hip dysplasia and it took him very rapidly (regardless of pain killers). It was definetly a shock and a shame, as he was extremely healthy and had perfect blood work :( And the dysplasia was probably from his genetic background, as his previous owners bought him from a pet store, so he was a puppy mill dog. Amazing how long he supressed it and never showed it until it became too much (and too late).

:(

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Suka, fortunately, doesn't have hip dysplasia. He was tested for it last spring, when we had all the trouble with figuring out what the heck was wrong with his leg/hip! Just has (apparently minor) arthritis in the one hip, but the vet says his other hip'll probably develop it eventually as he's putting more stress on his good hip now.

Cancer seems to be what's gotten my guys, although as I've not had anyone opened up to check for sure, that's just a guess. The majority of my dogs have been pretty healthy up until around age 14, which is when I tend to lose my line of dogs... In some cases, there has been some evidence of a fast-growing tumor in the abdomen - likely a splenic tumor - toward the end. At that point, their eyes have usually gotten a bit hazy, but they've mainly had a bit of trouble seeing in lower light situations, and their hearing has been good - if occasionally selective! Usually some degree of arthritis, particularly in the spine near the hips.

Cancer seems to be what's gotten my guys, although as I've not had anyone opened up to check for sure, that's just a guess. The majority of my dogs have been pretty healthy up until around age 14, which is when I tend to lose my line of dogs... In some cases, there has been some evidence of a fast-growing tumor in the abdomen - likely a splenic tumor - toward the end. At that point, their eyes have usually gotten a bit hazy, but they've mainly had a bit of trouble seeing in lower light situations, and their hearing has been good - if occasionally selective! Usually some degree of arthritis, particularly in the spine near the hips.

Thanks for the info...

Suka's got arthritis on one of his hips, but from the multiple x-rays we got from multiple vets (It was a friggin' nightmare! And cost a fortune when we learned the insurance didn't cover it...) its only minor AND his spine is perfectly healthy...they say its like a young dog's.

Yeah, when I lost my parakeet 5 or so years ago...the vet wanted to do an autopsy to find out how he died. I said no - nobody was opening up my birdy!

I wouldn't have a problem having them opened up to find out if there were tumors and where - IF it really served more of a purpose than curiosity! If it would help me keep the other dogs healthier, longer - great, go for it! Since it wouldn't, though...

I'm sure Shad hurt his lower back area as a young dog while in harness. He'd throw himself into it as hard as he could, while the sled or rig was still tied up, he was so anxious to go, and there was often a bit of a twisting movement to it, as well...

I wouldn't have a problem having them opened up to find out if there were tumors and where - IF it really served more of a purpose than curiosity! If it would help me keep the other dogs healthier, longer - great, go for it! Since it wouldn't, though...

I'm sure Shad hurt his lower back area as a young dog while in harness. He'd throw himself into it as hard as he could, while the sled or rig was still tied up, he was so anxious to go, and there was often a bit of a twisting movement to it, as well...

Yeah, I agree.

Ah. As far as I know, Suka's never pulled a sled in his life. He hated doing actual WORK when I bought him that backpack. LOL