What lead to use on beach?

Bulletmonkey

Hi all, I'm a new dad to a 12 week old Male Sibe, Nanook :)

Can someone recommend good leads and collars/harness for when he's a little older?

Its a couple of miles walk to the beach so I'll be after a lead for the road and maybe a 50/100ft lead for the beach? Should I use a collar or harness with these long leads? Should I use a Waist lead with the long leads or is holding the lead ok?:confused:

How do you stop your Husky coming to a screaming halt at the end of the 100ft lead?

I'm lucky enough to have a large fenced off enclosure right by where I live so the majority of Nuke's ( Nanook's nickname from our kids! ) running will be done in there. I won't be running him on the lead or with a bike, just walking him.

We only had him 3 days ago and he had had no injections :( So it will be just under 4 weeks before he is able to go for walks, so I don't know if he is going to pull on the lead or not:rolleyes:

What leads, collars/harness would you recommend please?

Any help much appreciated :)

Kerry

welcome to the pack :) pics please! :D

hmm Sid_Wolf on here makes collars leads harnesses etc n they are really good :)

i use a non-pull harness on my guys but they are older then ur pup and i never really trained them 2 walk nicely - how i regret that LOL

use a harness for long leads so if they lunge they dont hurt their neck - u can get 50/100ft leads off ebay

hold the lead is fine - i do with mine :)

how do i stop um? i dont i run with them lol - but as hes a pup he wil be much easier to train - im sure a few times hitting the end of the lead will soon make him realise - but if not thats why u need the harness :)

u can put a collar/harness lead etc on him in ur house and garden to get him used to it so he is ready for when you can take him out

i have an ezydog harness for my boy for when i take him over the feild but i dont particulary like it anymore as he broke 1 once on a walk - manmat are good - but i would deffo get intouch with Sid_Wolf as she can make fully adjustable harnesses so it will last abit longer for your boy rather then u having to replace it every few months

hope this helps :)

thanks nix :)

yes i do make collars, leads and harnesses to order :)

type of lead depends on the beach, if its a busy beach then use a flexi as you have more control and can reel him in quicker, if its a quiet one then use a 50ft lead :) with a harness or you'll damage his neck when he runs to the end of it

thanks nix :)

yes i do make collars, leads and harnesses to order :)

type of lead depends on the beach, if its a busy beach then use a flexi as you have more control and can reel him in quicker, if its a quiet one then use a 50ft lead :) with a harness or you'll damage his neck when he runs to the end of it

no worries just drumming up some business for ya :P lol

ah yeh nice 1 i forgot to mention flexi's

Hi guys, thanks for replies :) Nix have crappy phone pics only at the mo ( ebayed camera just a short while ago! )

<<<<<That is Nuke though :)

Sid_Wolf, you are, hmm forgot the name, something leads on facebook? If so I requested to join the group earlier after seeing the link in one of Nix's posts on this forum :)

Beaches near me have plenty of room after summer for long leads, no hope in summer though!

I have looked at flexi leads and read on these forums about them being pulled out of peoples hand by the dogs :( Is there some sort of failsafe device that goes from the flexi lead to belt loops or something? Hmm maybe not belt loop as that would break, something tied around waist maybe?

So I'll need a collar and lead for road walking, harness and 50ft lead for beach, and flexi lead for when beaches are starting to get busy?

Do you sell all them Sid_Wolf? And will the harness be one of them ones that makes him NOT want to pull?

Nuke is wearing a collar constantly now to get him used to it, he doesn't mind it on him at all.

Thanks guys

:)

Hi guys, thanks for replies :) Nix have crappy phone pics only at the mo ( ebayed camera just a short while ago! )

<<<<<That is Nuke though :)

Sid_Wolf, you are, hmm forgot the name, something leads on facebook? If so I requested to join the group earlier after seeing the link in one of Nix's posts on this forum :)

Beaches near me have plenty of room after summer for long leads, no hope in summer though!

I have looked at flexi leads and read on these forums about them being pulled out of peoples hand by the dogs :( Is there some sort of failsafe device that goes from the flexi lead to belt loops or something? Hmm maybe not belt loop as that would break, something tied around waist maybe?

So I'll need a collar and lead for road walking, harness and 50ft lead for beach, and flexi lead for when beaches are starting to get busy?

Do you sell all them Sid_Wolf? And will the harness be one of them ones that makes him NOT want to pull?

Nuke is wearing a collar constantly now to get him used to it, he doesn't mind it on him at all.

Thanks guys

:)

sid's group is indi-dog on facebook

Just a word of warning, the one time I took a Flexi to the beach, it got wet and a bit sandy, and never worked properly after that!

Love my walking belt - it makes it much easier to walk a very strong Siberian! I'll bet that Sid could devise some sort of device that could clip to a walking belt and at the other end a clip that could be attached to a Flexi's handle...

• 3 weeks later...