Stray pitbull pup what to do?

There is this very annoying and concerning pit puppy that is outside my complex that is seriously starting to worry me. He's got to be 4 or 5 months old i highly doubt he's older than that and he is not very nice. He followed me 12 blocks the other day yelling at me, growling at me, and nipped my heels three times. Not sure if he's intact as he was marking everything in sight and has a very dominant personality. I'm concerned mostly because there's a lot of kids around here and anything that moves he seems to just go after. The obvious answer is call animal control or the humane society. The problem I'm thinking of is that he is very well fed. There's no collar and no person seems to want to claim him from the people I've talked to outside my complex but he obviously goes somewhere for the night.

So what should I do?

Frankly I have nothing against pits and with a firm leader he'd be a good dog I'm sure. He waddled his butt right back home after following me for blocks and blocks. The other thing is we live by two extremely busy roads and he nearly got hit twice following me which believe me was NOT what I wanted in my head on my way to work. Would it really be the better idea to call animal control knowing that he maybe put down being a pit? I'm so torn and I hate feeling torn about something that should be for the better of the dog but ultimately may result in his life being cut far to short :( I'm thinking of contacting a couple pit rescues there's none in my immediate area but a couple up north that might have some ideas to. Why is it the people that care about animals have to feel as though their hands are so tied when all we want to do is help :( Sometimes I seriously hate all the morons that screwed this all up in the past and left it for us to just wallow in >_<