Cow Hooves and Homemade 'Fillings'

Hi Everyone,

I made a post a while back of how much Blaze loved stuffed cow hooves from the store.

Well, as others had mentioned, I wanted a stuffing that I KNEW exactly what was in it, and how much...Soooooo, I dabbled and made my own.

It took a few tries to get the consistancy of thickness I wanted, but I found one that works perfectly for Blaze and I!

I have listed MY own variation of the mix below, YOU may decide to add more or less of a particular ingredient:

3 parts Pumpkin filling (I used canned pumpkin) - 6 cups

to

1 part creamy Peanut Butter - 2 cups

(I made a LOT so I don't have to mix it up everytime I want to stuff one of Blaze's hoofs)

I mixed thoroughly until it was smooth, had about 8 cups of total pumpkin/peanut butter filling, I took his empty, clean hoof, and filled it full of the mixture.

I also chose to freeze the mixture inside of the hoof, I found it makes less of a mess and when I have to leave the house, it takes a while to unfreeze so it keeps Blaze occupied.

After I stuffed the amount I wanted into the hoof, I put the remaining mixture into a container, covered it and sealed it and put it into the refrigerator to keep it fresh.

Hope this helps, as I know others were looking for a recipe and this one seems to work well for Blaze and I.

I also added a few pictures of the final products.

**PLEASE NOTE** One of the pictures (they are labeled) is a hoof stuffed with ONLY frozen Pumpkin, and the other is a hoof stuffed with Peanut Butter AND Pumpkin at room temperature.

post-7252-0-34317200-1365365454.jpg

post-6615-0-65073200-1365371299_thumb.jp

post-5962-13585999791705_thumb.jpg

post-5962-13585999792312_thumb.jpg

Great idea. Not sure about the hoof part, only because we've never given those to any of our dogs. Watch out for the price of peanut butter. It's going throught he roof right now due to the drought in Georgia affecting the peanut crop.

Mazz Dave, I agree, the price of peanuts/peanut butter has been rather high lately, hence the cheapo brand, which is still high, but the kid loves it :)

The hoof is really just a vessel for the filling, but Blaze just doesn't seem strong enough (yet) to destroy the hoof itself, so I just clean it after he's done eating the filling out and re-stuff it. One could use the stuffable toys too, I just had a hoof handy, so figured would use it.

OOOH, I suppose you could also use the filling in an ice cube tray? The peanut butter, being slick would probably freeze and slide right out, seeing as the pumpkin is mostly water...Okay, this I have to try! AND an alternative to using the hooves! I'll post pictures when the 'cubes' freeze :D

Mazz Dave, I agree, the price of peanuts/peanut butter has been rather high lately, hence the cheapo brand, which is still high, but the kid loves it :)

The hoof is really just a vessel for the filling, but Blaze just doesn't seem strong enough (yet) to destroy the hoof itself, so I just clean it after he's done eating the filling out and re-stuff it. One could use the stuffable toys too, I just had a hoof handy, so figured would use it.

OOOH, I suppose you could also use the filling in an ice cube tray? The peanut butter, being slick would probably freeze and slide right out, seeing as the pumpkin is mostly water...Okay, this I have to try! AND an alternative to using the hooves! I'll post pictures when the 'cubes' freeze :D

have you tried a kong?

Great idea. Not sure about the hoof part, only because we've never given those to any of our dogs. Watch out for the price of peanut butter. It's going throught he roof right now due to the drought in Georgia affecting the peanut crop.

So that's why the price of my favourite snack food went through the roof!!!! Figured it was just our local store upgrading the prices .....