Traveling

rmm001

So, when I pick up my husky Thursday, our first activity together will be the four hour drive home. Great introduction, eh? The husky we had when I was younger was mostly before I could drive, so I'm not really sure how to prepare for this. Since I'll be picking him up at the shelter, our opportunities to walk before getting in the car will probably be limited. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to make this journey easier? I could conceivably put a kennel in the backseat, but I'd rather not have his first few hours with me be spent in another cage, and I kind of thought that maybe the backseat would prepare him for the other dogs he'll be meeting, since it is unfortunately rather covered in their hair.

Are you picking your fur baby up on your own or would someone else be with you?

I'd say you'd need to restrict them in some way so it's safe you both you and the dog.

I let mine travel in the boot but have a dog guard in the back so they can't jump into the front of the car

Id really recommend a crate for traveling, will keep him safe, and ensure your attention is on the road! Mine now always travel crated or in kennels in the van.....this is after witnessing an accident where the dog was not restrained and the concequences were not pleasant.

It looks like I will have to pick him up on my own. The only person I'd really trust to go with me is already taking off work tomorrow to take care of me after I get my wisdom teeth out, so he won't be able to take off again. The only people who would be available would likely be more hindrance than help :) I want to make sure we're establishing good rules from the first, not exposing him to the people that I know will allow any kind of behavior.

I suppose I may just have to crate him, it's likely he'll be used to that anyway. I'm just not used to it, because I've only really traveled any distance with well-trained dogs in trucks, where the small backseat was taken out to make an area for the dogs. I transport the foster dogs for the shelter around quite a bit, but there's only so much trouble they can get it over five miles...

In that case, does anyone have tips for how to put a crate in a backseat? Should I strap it in with the seat belt, or bungie cords or something?

Um, it's a pontiac G6...not sure if you'd be familiar with it. I must admit I'm not totally clear on whether the way you would use "boot" is synonymous with how I would use "trunk"- either way, the area I'd use either term for is too small for a crate and closed off from the rest of the car. Is there a different way to refer to that? Just curious, I know that we don't usually refer to cars whose back cargo is open as even having a "trunk", so I can see where "boot" might be better if its all purpose. Anyway, I don't believe I could fit a crate in it or keep it properly cool even if I folded down the backseats and opened it up, it's just not meant to be used like that.

Solution: One of my friends is going to drive me in his jeep. With the seats folded down there is just the right amount of room for a 42 inch kennel...so excited!

Just thought I'd let you all know that I'd worked it out...there was no way any of our kennels were going in my backseat :/