Stud

mbb23

Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask does anyone stud there male?? Tony and I are not sure on the idea and dont know what to think of it..? Just wanted to know what you guys think? What age do you stud a male? what do you look out for? sorry I feel silly for asking but just unsure if its a good idea or not :confused: Grey is getting very randy over the last month.

There are a lot of things you need to consider first. Has he had his hips scored? Been eye tested? Have you had his thyroid tested recently? It's becoming more and more popular for Siberian breeders to test their dogs for thyroid problems before breeding as the breed can be prone to thyroid issues.

You need to consider a lot before breeding - are you familiar with Grey's lines enough to understand and know what type of bitch would be a good match for him? Do you show or work Grey in harness? If you don't show, how do you know Grey is a good enough example of the breed to stud him out? Is he a pedigree Siberian and if so, does he have the right type of pedigree to breed from? In Australia we have a main register and limited register pedigree - dogs must be on main register pedigree to be bred from.

These are just some of the questions you need to consider before even thinking about using Grey as a stud. If it's purely because he's "randy" then perhaps you could consider having him desexed?

When we only had Gizmo we were thinking of studding him out and after reading about it on the kennel club site I changed my mind, there is alot to think about and consider before breeding or studding which can lead to alot of expense (hense the price on puppies these days from a decent breeder). We can't breed Gizmo now anyway as he has an undecended testicle so it would be highly irresponisble to do this!

Not only would you need to have grey hip scored, eye tested, in good health etc etc but you also need to consider:

1) checking yours and the bitche's lines (you dont want inter breeding occuring and you would want good lines too)

2) a winning show/working dog are usually better suiters for breeding than a companion dog/bitch

3) does grey or the bitch have breeding restrictions

4) are you willing for grey to go to the bitch until all pups have been homed and are you willing to have the bitch with you if needed and be resposible for grey, the bitch and the puppies

5) if an owner buys a pup and then gives him/her up are you willing to take that pup into your home and rehome him/her or keep them

6) what will happen is no pups get placed into a home

7) do you have the time to stud grey and possible rear litters of puppies

8) how often are you going to stud

9) do you fully understand about hand rearing puppies if mum rejects them

10) are you willing to pay out large amounts of costs if the bitch is with you and has birth problems (requiring vert assistance)

thats not everything!!!

OMG :eek: there is alot of things to think about. To be honest its not really the thing for us for many of those reasons aswel as money but would of been nice to have done it once but it wont be something we will be looking into.

Thanks guys for the info and advive was just curious about it. Added to reps :D

Hey,

The main thing is health; he should be hip and eye scored at least, the eye test is only 40-45 pounds, the hip score can be more. Although i am looking to show i dont think it is the be all and end all, but thats just my wee little opinion lol

I think if Grey is healthy, a good example of the breed and you have the time and funds to go ahead with it then you could consider it. Everyone has given great advice already so i'll leave it there,

Good luck with your decision;)

Hey,

The main thing is health; he should be hip and eye scored at least, the eye test is only 40-45 pounds, the hip score can be more. Although i am looking to show i dont think it is the be all and end all, but thats just my wee little opinion lol

I think if Grey is healthy, a good example of the breed and you have the time and funds to go ahead with it then you could consider it. Everyone has given great advice already so i'll leave it there,

Good luck with your decision;)

thanks for your reply, We have alot on at the mo and money is tight plus we are looking to get a bigger place so maybe then if things change for the better then it might be somthing to look into but I think we will come to a dead end as I dont know much about Grey's history (we rehomed him) and need to do so in order to get him KC Reg to breed. We dont show or work him he is pure pet! LOL :D (very spoilt)

Thanks again top advice!