hip scoring

We were toying with the idea of breeding Myshka a few years back & if we had have gone ahead with it, she would have to be hip & eye scored for the pups to be registered. All I can remember from then was that the examination can be done when the dog reaches 12 months or older, but I'm afraid I don't know any more than that as we never followed it through with not breeding her. I'm sure you'll soon have the answers you need from the guys on here, x

Hip Scoring only needs to be done once. We usually get our dogs done at the age of 2 when they are fully grown.

taz's parents were tested in different years and the scoring is different ,sire tested 05 hip score 5/5, dam tested 03 hip score 4/7, can anybody explain this to me

I don't understand what you mean. It looks pretty straightforward:

The sire was tested in 2005 and his hip score was 10 (left 5, right 5)

The dam was tested in 2003 and her score was 11 (left 4, right 7)

Both scores are above the Siberian Husky breed average of 7

When tested, each hip is scored separately and the best possible score is 0, the worst is 53

The scores of left and right hips added together gives the overall hipscore - again the best possible being 0 and the worst 106. For the year ending 1/11/08, the worst Siberian Husky score recorded (in the UK under the Kennel Club/BVA scheme) was 47.

Mick

To be honest, as long as the dogs' hips are not so bad that they have difficulty moving, then I think running them can only do them good as muscle will build up around the rear end protecting the hips. With the parents' combined scores at 21, I wouldn't worry at all.

Mick

hi, do all vets do hip scoring? i remember a long time ago i was toying with the idea of breeding isha and the only vet i could find was in somerset and it cost a small fortune, i would love to have a litter from keira one day but have no pedigree for her although i was told she was registered when she was given to me, her previous owners were not her first owners and never got the papers when they got her (ive no idea how many homes the poor dog has had). i would like to have her hips and eyes tested just so i know she is healthy and then if a pedigree turns up in the future i may have a litter from her.