Showing Sibes, Sibes From Where?

Just a quick q for interest:

Which sibe is prefered for showing, the British, the American, The French, Russian, South Africa, Australia?

I know a lot fo UK breeders import sibes from other countaries to improve their stock. I read the breed was first registered in Amercia, is the American stock appreciated in the UK show-ring?

The UK sibes seem to look different and i was just wondering which type of sibe is appreciated as it seems to always change.

?

Here are 2 pics of American show sibes:

[ATTACH]2020.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2022.IPB[/ATTACH]

And the UK:

[ATTACH]2021.IPB[/ATTACH]

Sorry not great pics, if anyone has better ones that would be great, just wanted to know what the UK are trying to achieve as far as the Siberian is concerned?

post-126-13585943305026_thumb.jpg

post-126-1358594330541_thumb.jpg

post-126-13585943305912_thumb.jpg

I was under the impression, that the standards between the US and the UK were similar. Maybe not. I know the Canada standard is very similar to the US standard. Also, without knowing if the photos depict males or females, it would be unfair to draw any comparisons, since the standard for females differs for weight and height, from for males; in the US anyway, again I'm assuming so would the UK standard.

I was under the impression, that the standards between the US and the UK were similar. Maybe not. I know the Canada standard is very similar to the US standard. Also, without knowing if the photos depict males or females, it would be unfair to draw any comparisons, since the standard for females differs for weight and height, from for males; in the US anyway, again I'm assuming so would the UK standard.

i did a thread breed standards and gave up trying to get members to tell me what the breed standar is , cause there is soooooo much that is up to the individual to decide smeagle and rain dog put some links up , go have a look , it sort of sums up what im trying to say lol

Thanks guys, both added to rep!

Dave - i believe the standards are very similar on paper, but a little different in actual appearence, for example US sibes are a little more compact and chunky >>> again only what i have been told, im not sure if this is concrete fact or not:rolleyes:

Every line of sibes has individual characteristics......my girly that is purely working lines is very slender and leggy, where as my girls from showing lines are more stocky but at the end of the day its all personal preference and judges will go with their own preferences in the ring!

It is almost impossible to assess sibes from photographs for a number of reasons. For example, the third photo in the first post is of a friend of ours. For some reason, the photo is out of proportion and Steve, who is a tall slim guy, looks short and stocky and his sibe looks very long in the body.

The other important thing with photos is that there is really no substitute for a "hands on" assessment of a dog. For example, this is our boy "Trader":

traderhunt2.jpg

This is our girl "Summer":

SummerRichmond1.jpg

Both photos were taken at their first shows at the age of 6 months. Now from the photos, Trader looks like he is the classical American-type. Heavy boned and perhaps a bit overweight. Summer, however, looks like a typical English-type sibe - much lighter built and more athletic looking. In fact, nothing could be further from the truth. Summer outweighs trader by about 5 kilos and is much more solidly built. The difference is in the coat. Trader has a thick arctic coat which makes him look bulkier, Summer has a lighter coat which gives the impression that she is more lightweight. In harness, both dogs are equally good workers.

So, judging from photos is not always helpful. Getting your hands on a dog give you much better and more accurate information.

Mick

Thanks Mick - Added to rep, Summer really does look a little more slender than Trader, but now you have said it, i can see how she is a bit bigger,in that photo Trader doesn't look that big for a boy >>> Again someone's interpretation of a photo can be different.

I was told the UK judges dont care much for the American sibes....Any truth?

Personally i do not preffer de UK siberians, don't know, they are different. It is one standard wich is the AKC standard, and for us that is the HuskyBible, it is a great book "The New Complete Siberian Husky", i reccomand it for you. I think that is stupid to have 2 standards for one breed, why they wanna be different? Don't understand...

Lindy:

DSC00727_1.jpg

DSC00762_1.jpg

a lot of it makes sense, its all about being balanced yourself, i have caught myself a few times, thinking positive and having say a really good walk, but if the kids r stressing me out the boys do seem to play up more, and a lot of the advice in the book seems to be aimed at ppl with one normal dog lol, not 3 hooligans , but im working on it , i think i may need to take up yoga or something so i can become more balanced and calm assertive(he likes that word lmao), but i think im getting there with the pack leader thing lol

the one thing that made me laugh is where it says you need to visualise yourself doing something and then it will just happen , lmfao, tried it the other day , deep breath , see myslef walking nicely past the off lead dog with my 3 all trotting along nicely , worked for my 3 , till the off lead thing came a running over , then chaos lolol

the one thing that made me laugh is where it says you need to visualise yourself doing something and then it will just happen , lmfao, tried it the other day , deep breath , see myslef walking nicely past the off lead dog with my 3 all trotting along nicely , worked for my 3 , till the off lead thing came a running over , then chaos lolol

Haha LOL Youve got to love Cesar, i think hes got to have the best energy in the world:rolleyes: