mushing terms

heres one for those in the know, do you have to use the standard mushing terms , or can you use your own ?????? and what have you found to be the best way to teach them , ive been walking the boys on a walking belt , with them attached to each other with a coupler now for a while, have been using woooooaahhh to get them to stop , and wait to make them stay, and hike for go , on by for sort of go past and ignor stuff, but left and right have got me stumped , any ideas welcome,

Haw/Haa means turn left

Gee means turn right

Steady means slow down

Hike means run

On by means carry on/go past

Best way to teach in my opinion is to use the comands on walks they know well and let them get used to listening to them, once you are confident they know what they mean try a less familiar walk and see if listen to your command!

Hope this helps you x

LOL, you can its entirely your choice ;) might get confused if you ever run them with dogs that are already trainined!!!

If your struggling write a H and G on back of your hand till its well and truely stuck in your memory!!! I struggled initially but its just second nature now :)

You can use whatever terms you like as long as your dogs know what they mean!

The reason that Gee and Haw are so useful is that they don't sound anything alike and so the dogs can't confuse them. One of the most important commands (we find) is WAIT! (especially useful when you are trying to sort out a tangle in a six-dog team).

There is, of course, another important "call" which is very frequently used. It is not a command as such, more a statement that you are in some difficulty. Usually screamed in a high pitched panicky tone (eg when the dogs don't respond to "Wait!") - it is, "OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!"

Mick :D

You can use whatever terms you like as long as your dogs know what they mean!

The reason that Gee and Haw are so useful is that they don't sound anything alike and so the dogs can't confuse them. One of the most important commands (we find) is WAIT! (especially useful when you are trying to sort out a tangle in a six-dog team).

There is, of course, another important "call" which is very frequently used. It is not a command as such, more a statement that you are in some difficulty. Usually screamed in a high pitched panicky tone (eg when the dogs don't respond to "Wait!") - it is, "OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!"

Mick :D

Very good Mick, I've used that last one several times myself along with the usefull command for other forest users "Get out of the way!!!!!" (just kidding :D)

As long as your dogs know what each command is then you can say whatever you want for each command (Hey if you wanted you could prob use a swear word for every one lol) as long as the dogs know what you want from them :D

I got confused with Gee and Haw and started using Go Left and Go Right but now I have got my head around it have started using the usual commands. What I did was wrote Haw on my left hand and Gee on my right hand so if I did get lost I could just look quickly on my hand to remind me of the command :D

so it sounds exactly like whore then , bloody great,

I've always struggled with that, especially when theres other people around:D

I used to remember them because the word Right has a Gee in it, yes, I know that it also has a H (as in Haw) in it, but the letter h isn't the whole word, if you understand what Im saying, I'm a bit confused myself now.