Blaze's bloodwork came back... :(

I hope Blaze is feeling beter soon. When you baby does not feel well it certainly effect you as well. I know I feel that way with Rusty. Shortly after we got him he suffered anafalecic( <-SP) shock due to an allergy of some sort. I had to rush him to an emergency animal hospital in the middle of the night. His snout, throat, tounge was so swollen he could barely breath and was vomiting. The trip was about an hour and I was never so scared in my life. He was given several injections and recovered quicky. He has to take daily medicine several times a day for what we humans call seasonal allergies. I worry about him more then my 17 year old daughter sometimes.

As for the runny poos Rusty gets them every month with his hearworm meds and he gets 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt and that does him good. Of cours he is not sensitive to dairy (cheese is his fav treat). He has been given pumpkin(does not like it as much) That work good too. I just hate to see him suffer with anything.

The cost of worming is insane. My vet does it for free. Bloodwork on the other hand is pricy. We paid almost $200 for Rustys testing but that was everything for not knowing his past. Shopping around is the key. Unfortunatley some vets charge unbelievable prices thats for sure. Good for you to shop around. Just because a vet is expensive does not mean they are good. Our babies deserve the very best.

Comprehensive bloodwork is going to be expensive because it is always sent out to an outside lab. Here in California the lab company is called IDEXX and is located in Sacramento. Its pretty expensive to have someone drive to your hospital and pick up the samples (along with all the other hospitals with samples), drive back and have specialized lab workers spend the night working on them so that the hospital can have the results in the morning. Now if that was the price for in-house blood testing then I would definitely shop around because they are taking advantage. $200 sounds about right for a comprehensive blood screening. Having a fur-baby is so expensive! UGH! haha :eek: I don't even want to know how much i've spent on Kale! lmao!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Comprehensive bloodwork is going to be expensive because it is always sent out to an outside lab. Here in California the lab company is called IDEXX and is located in Sacramento. Its pretty expensive to have someone drive to your hospital and pick up the samples (along with all the other hospitals with samples), drive back and have specialized lab workers spend the night working on them so that the hospital can have the results in the morning. Now if that was the price for in-house blood testing then I would definitely shop around because they are taking advantage. $200 sounds about right for a comprehensive blood screening. Having a fur-baby is so expensive! UGH! haha :eek: I don't even want to know how much i've spent on Kale! lmao!

So true his blood went to Tennessee and took a lillte while to come back. Furkids are expensive. My first baby had a genetic urinary defect and I spent over $2000 the first 2 months. We could not figure out why he peed all the time sleeping and all. The meds, blood, food, labs, and everyhing including ultrasounds. Furkids can be pricy for sure :P