Anyone for company?

Are those burros or donkeys? Or is a burro and a donkey the same thing?

Are those burros or donkeys? Or is a burro and a donkey the same thing?

Don't get me to lieing!! The donkeys we have around here are all smaller than these guys are. These are approaching the size of a med sized horse (what we'd call a pony ...)

But it's all in what people call them. These with the stripe are actually from Mexico and have been back and forth across the border for years (( not these literally, they've been used as pack animals for a long time! ))

A burro is a mexican donkey according to wikipedia. So they aren't wild, their feral.

Trey.

You come over here and call one of these a donkey, north or south of the border and you're going to get laughed out of town. What the natives here call a donkey is what we'd typically see on a donkey cart - a solid grey, smaller version of what we here refer to as a burro.

In matter of fact, they all come under the heading of equus assinus africanus.

They're considered wild by everyone, including the park rangers. They have been free roaming since as early as the 1500's - you can call them feral if you want, you can also call them donkeys if you want.

You come over here and call one of these a donkey, north or south of the border and you're going to get laughed out of town. What the natives here call a donkey is what we'd typically see on a donkey cart - a solid grey, smaller version of what we here refer to as a burro.

In matter of fact, they all come under the heading of equus assinus africanus.

They're considered wild by everyone, including the park rangers. They have been free roaming since as early as the 1500's - you can call them feral if you want, you can also call them donkeys if you want.

It's all symantics.

And, I must be missing something if, they are sterile but have been in the wild since the 1500's?

If I remember right

Donkey=Donkey

Burro=Donkey/Horse cross, as far as I know they're generally sterile

A donkey crossed with a horse is a mule, and yes, mules are sterile. Festus Hagan on Gunsmoke rode a mule. (I watch too many old TV westerns.)

Mules and hinneys are normally sterile - donkeys / burros are not.

OK, what's a "hinney"? Never heard of that one. Oh, wait. Is it pronounced HIGH KNEE?

If I remember right

Donkey=Donkey

Burro=Donkey/Horse cross, as far as I know they're generally sterile

Oh, sorry I missed this.

A mule is the offspring of a female horse / male donkey. (( I had that backwards, I thought it was a male horse / female donkey which, according to wikipedia is a hinny )) All male mules and most female mules are infertile.

Burro is, in fact, Spanish for Donkey - but since we have two slightly different breeds in the wild here we use the two terms to differentiate them.