pc monitor for DVD player???

yeah it depends on what the dvd player has for its connections, also depends how modern your PC monitor is, It will have VGA (the blue pin hole socket) and maybe DVI (white socket) and maybe HDMI, depending on how new the dvd player is, it will hopefully have an HDMI connection, if not it will most likely need a scart connection, in which case you will most likely need a converter

I went through this a while back, because computer monitors a higher quaility, and I wanted something HD for my PS3, I ended up buying a new, 23" monitor, with VGA/DVI/HDMI in, so I can have the best of both worlds.

What is boils down to is, if you want audio, and can't plug the player into the back. You need one of these. Sure, if the DVD player has HDMI out, and the monitor has DVI in, or DVI over VGA, you could get a passive conveterter, but you still have to account for the audio.

Chances are, your DVD player is either component, or composite. These won't work on a typical PC monitor, and you can't use a passive adapter for $5, you need to spend about $60 to get a signal converter.

I need to know more to help more, so for all intents and purposes I'm assuming the output on your DVD player looks like this:

composite-video-rear-panel.jpg

NOTE: The picture above is NOT the same as this.

and the input on your monitor looks like this:1t-vga-cattx-rear.jpg

In which case, you would need this. Though you will still be sacrificing clarity, and will have to deal with the audio out seperatley. I don't know if your monitor has audio or not either so.

Trey.

As above really, it's difficult to use a PC monitor because it depends on the speakers. Most monitors will support DVI, VGA and HDMI. Sound can be handled through HDMI, but not DVI or VGA, this is picture only.

If your monitor does have speakers, it's probably a 3.5mm Jack input, but I doubt a standard DVD player would output this, maybe using composite converter as suggested above is a way forward.

Have you got a laptop? If so you could connect the laptop to the monitor using VGA, then get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack, put it in the headphone output on laptop, and into the speaker input on the monitor. Then use the laptop to place the DVD's.

TBH - There are some cheap TV/DVD combo's out there, keep checking places like Lidl, Aldi. Tesco do a Technika one that's cheapish. Ultimately it would be the better way forward then you get decent sound/picture quality.

My husband finds ways to hook just about anything up to a computer monitor it seems. Sometimes he has to go find certain types of adapter cables or whatever. He even hooked up an old 8-bit Nintendo to a commodore monitor. At least, I think that was the name of the monitor, not sure. He even managed to do some sort of laptop/TV/DVD/x-box sort of thing. I could not figure it out, but it worked. SO I think with the right cables, anything is possible to hook up to a monitor.