How i became the Leader....

How I became the Leader

Im not trying to brag or be an insufferable know it all....I totally promise...but I was hoping to share some secrets of husky training for new husky owners.

First, I dont prescribe to dog whisperer stuff...because to me an 8 week old puppy is totally mold-able so long as you practice with them, so you dont really need anying rough or unusual.

Chewbacca was one shy puppy when he came home and he was having separation anxiety issues. He wouldnt walk on a leash, or come when we made noise or called him, and we basically had to "butter him up" before we could do anything else with him.

When we got him he had already been doing very well with going potty outside so we just introduced him to the yard and took him out either once every 1 1/2 hours or within 20 minutes of eating, playing actively, or sleeping. I also was careful to watch how much food/water I gave him and only leave it down for 10 minutes or so...3 times a day. He has always been in his crate at night, just in case.

The easiest way to instill in your husky pup that you are the lleader and they need to pay attention to you...is to do leash training. This simply means that when you are home and have some time...that its good to spend at least one hour walking around with them on the leash following you. When they follow readily, pat them and give praise and treats...and basically get them interested in going where you go and watching what you do.

Once he was settled and calmed down, about 4 days later, I let him off leash for 15 minute blocks of time a few times a day and he followed just to see if I would give treats and would often lay down if I had to be in another room for longer than 10 minutes (kitchen).

The next step was to start teaching him that he had to sit for treats and do it on command. He had to sit to be patted and he even had to sit before I would throw his ball for him. By 11 weeks he had to do DOWNSTAY to get his meals.

Basically for Chewie every need or treat that he ever gets is earned.

I taught him not to JUMP by teaching him to sit or lay down to be patted, and that he must sit before we play with toys like ropes and balls. The vid of him talking is literally the only time he has ever jumped on me or anyone else.

I think that if you teach your pooch how to get what they want or need by having them earn it that its the best way to teach obedience.

I would be very glad to help anyone who needs help during the puppy stage of training. This is my favorite part...lol.

It doesnt necessarily take high priced classes or strange gear, it really just takes you knowing what rules you want to set and what response you want to teach your dog for any given situation.

I was thinking I could do a practical training list if you guys think it would be ok?

Great thread idea, Chewie :D

One of the biggest pieces of advice that I give puppy owners, and something that I noticed was a recurring 'theme' in your post, is to read up about the nothing in life is free program.

A great NILIF article here:

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

The only thing that stood out to me in your post was the suggestion of walking the dog for an hour - I wouldn't walk a puppy for more than five per month of the pup's age, to avoid putting to much pressure on soft, developing joints. However I totally agree that being the leader is not about physical dominance and that, especially from the ages of 8-16 weeks by which time 80% of the pup's brain has developed, we are able to imprint certain behaviours on our pups - which is why raising your puppy successfully is so important.

An excerpt from the article that I think really encapsulates what you are talking about:

As the human and as his owner you have control of all things that are wonderful in his life. This is the backbone of the NILIF program. You control all of the resources. Playing, attention, food, walks, going in and out of the door, going for a ride in the car, going to the dog park. Anything and everything that your dog wants comes from you. If he's been getting most of these things for free there is no real reason for him to respect your leadership or your ownership of these things.

Hi Smeagle,

Just to clarify...lol...I dont mean walking for exercise...just having them follow you around the house on the leash as part of their training. It also helps you to be able to keep an eye on them. Sorry on occassion I accidently lose track during an idea...mostly I just used leash training to teach him that the new noises, smells, and stuff werent anything to be afraid of...and I used it to help teach him that his leash was not his worst nightmare...lol. Thanks for the links, and feel free to add anything else that can help someone understand or find information.

Hi Smeagle,

Just to clarify...lol...I dont mean walking for exercise...just having them follow you around the house on the leash as part of their training. It also helps you to be able to keep an eye on them. Sorry on occassion I accidently lose track during an idea...mostly I just used leash training to teach him that the new noises, smells, and stuff werent anything to be afraid of...and I used it to help teach him that his leash was not his worst nightmare...lol. Thanks for the links, and feel free to add anything else that can help someone understand or find information.

Oh I get you now! I can see how that would be beneficial, as it would teach them focus as well as good leash manners :D