Help with food aggression....

Teddy can be food aggressive sometimes... and he sits staring at us when we're eating, begging for food. If you try and move him, he gets grumpy and growls....

any idea how we can sort this out? Ive been telling him for ages and ages to move away when we're eating, and he does. But other people in the house arent consistent :/

I agree with Sarah. Unless you can build the whole family to be consistant, you will struggle to stop the begging.

As for his own meals (which Im not sure how they are because you didn't mention) make sure you get him to sit before he has his meal and try to handle his food a lot before you let him have his dinner. This way he'll get used to your scent on his food.

Stacey xxx

I would agree with sarah shut him out the room or in his crate when people are eating. I stick gus and ice in the crate when they beg around people as gus slobbers all over ya I only have to counr to 3 and they move other got in the cage. Jasper and hollie know that if they come around people wid food they go out the room. I make them lay down. My guys don't normally do it to me now but they still try to do it to my mum and sis as they give them I won't unless they are laid down and caalm

cool dudes :) thanks

i have said we should just shut him up when we eat...its just getting everyone to be consistent though. I get him to sit when im giving him his food.... ive tried testing how aggressive he is by touching his back..nothing...neck..nothing.....feet - growl/snarl "f*** offff!!" lol.. so i didnt push it any further.... like you say stacey, i think handling the food alot first before we give him it perhaps... and making him sit, watchus take some out, then feed it from our hand then put the bowl down maybe?

like you say stacey, i think handling the food alot first before we give him it perhaps... and making him sit, watchus take some out, then feed it from our hand then put the bowl down maybe?

Yep that's another good way of doing it. We always make a big deal out of how we feed Aleu and this may sound ridiculous, but this is how I go to feed her.

I make sure she is in the down position before I put the bowl down. I handle the food whilst she is in the down position. Then if Robyn is there, I move away from the bowl and go give my partner a kiss (Aleu stays in the down during this, I believe displaying affection infront of her is important and this is when I have her strongest focus because she really wants that food!). Then I will walk over to her and spread of the palm of hand which encourages her to roll onto her side (I do this only because some people believe it is an act of submission but who knows!) Then I step back and say "Ok" and she finally has her dinner.

From the minute I put the bowl down, she is down till I say Ok.

Stacey xxx

Yer I make my guys sit and watch me I then put their bowls down they stay in the sit postion until I say ok then they eat their dinner I always walk upto them and stroak them and sometimes say leave it and make them wait again for my command. Hollie won't touch any food unless I'm in the room with her no matter wats on the floor. When my guys where young I started to take their bowls up and make them eat out of my hand and leave the bowl until told. Ice even now will only eat his food if I hand feed him lil git and he is nearly 4

thanks for the help guys!

Im trying to cement a similar structure for Qilaq btw Stacey. She never gets food until shes sits and "leaves" it. I always put my hand in her bowl, on her nose, pull her ears, hold her paws, touch her stomach etc....no way is hes gonna be food possesive haha. Its just breaking the habit for teddy really :/

Im sure if you are repetitive in your training and stick to not giving them bits from your meals and keep him out of the way when you eat, that eventually it will stick.

Stacey xxx

:) Thanks!!

ive said this all along really, its just getting everyone to stick to it.... we went round to Sophias nana and granddads on sunday and took Qilaq with us, and they were all like.. look she wants some food, lets get her some pork.. and i was like "errm, No thankyou." Then they were like "go on.. just this little bit [cutting a piece] shes hungry look." So i explained firstly that i didnt want her to eat pork, and secondly, i didnt want her receiving attention around the table when we had food. and her nan and gradad were like "ill give her attention if i want to give her attention blah blah blah"

i coulda effed and jeffed all night long but i just moved her over to the other side of the room and she sat down..

was gonna post a rant about it actually haha