Kennel Club experience 125% increase in interest

Sarah

I think it's a bit silly.

There are two types of allergies to dogs, you are either allergic to the saliva or the dander, but the person who wrote that article seemed to think there was only one kind of dog allergy.

Obviously someone allergic to the dog's saliva will react to just about any breed of dog, although I'm sure there are some exceptions depending on the severity of the person's allergies.

If you are allergic to the dander, then yes, you CAN get a purebred with a particular coat type (non-shedding, 'hypoallergenic wool coats) and be ok. Many allergy suffers are fine with dogs like poodles, PWDs, bedlingtons, bichon frises etc.

And I think I think Obama even considering a rescue dog still generated a lot of publicity for rescue. If he has to be careful with his daughter's allergies, then naturally he will be restricted when it comes to rescue because only certain purebreds will be good for SOME allergy sufferers, and those breeds are rarely found in rescue.

The biggest 'hypoallergenic' myth is that poodle crosses don't shed and are "hypoallergenic". The only way to guarantee a low shedding or non shedding dog with a specific coat type is to buy a purebred :D

We know from personal experience that many people who are allergic to other dogs do not have a problem with Siberian Huskies and other northern breeds. At Paws in the Park in 2007, a young lady who loved dogs, but had never been able to be within 6feet of one without sneezing and breaking out into allergic hives, spent two glorious hours being mugged by our dogs, with no ill-effects whatever. As Smeagle says, there are different types of allergy, not just one general dog allergy.

Mick

We know from personal experience that many people who are allergic to other dogs do not have a problem with Siberian Huskies and other northern breeds. At Paws in the Park in 2007, a young lady who loved dogs, but had never been able to be within 6feet of one without sneezing and breaking out into allergic hives, spent two glorious hours being mugged by our dogs, with no ill-effects whatever. As Smeagle says, there are different types of allergy, not just one general dog allergy.

Mick

I wonder if it's something to do with their guard hairs that keep the coat nice and clean and the fact that their undercoat is quite soft and woolly, quite different to many other breeds' coats.