tips for choosing a dog trainer/class

Anyone have tips on how to choose/evaluate a dog trainer or dog training class. I think I'd like to get a little help with sneakers. A couple of the pet stores here offer fairly inexpensive classes, but I'm not sure how good they are. I know several people who say they liked them but have pretty ill-mannered dogs, so I'm not too sure I would like them. :confused:

I've seen a couple of other options, though. One teaches you how to train your dog to behave off-leash, though I'd like him to be on a leash, that level of obedience sounds great and I like their video - the dogs in it stay right withthe owner going back and forth, stop and start, etc.

Another offers a private "puppy consultation" and their video is of the trainer working with a husky :cool: which seemed like a good omen. I don't know anyone who has done classes at that one. This place does have classes for older dogs that are a comparable price to the other classes.

A friend w/ older dogs rec. a place nearby, but it's pretty pricey and the trainer she worked with is no longer with the company (and she doesn't know how else to contact her..). However, they are close to my house and have a good rep over all - large place that does boarding, etc and stay on premises training... they also have some neat classes for older dogs like hiking and trails and agility training...

Right now, Sneakers knows sit, stay and come with what I consider decent reliability for a puppy his age (3 months). We are having some trouble with pulling on the leash and the tips I've read aren't working for me so I was hoping to get help with that, jumping on people and nipping at us when playing. None of those things are mentioned in any of the training class info. My friend said the place she went to did work on those things if a dog needed it... I'd guess the private puppy consulltation would do whatever you wanted.

So, how did you find/ choose a dog trainer or training class. Any tips?

I read about on the net and found one that was run by my old primary school teacher who i loved and so i went up and have never looked back.

You could do with finding out if you can go to watch one or two of them to get a feel for how the class is run and make your decision that way??

If I was looking for a trainer I would want someone who offers plenty of socialsation, has experience with sibes, doesnt use just treats as a reward, can teach all levels of training (i.e. from puppy class to advanced classes like agility), can offer group and one to one sessions, is easy to contact and talk to

Sneakersmama, will PM you some info :)

But some golden rules I always abide by include:

1) Any trainer you use should always explain what they are going to do before he does it. No trainer should use a method or technique on your dog that, once explained clearly, makes you uncomfortable. The trainer should have a lesson plan and should explain this to you clearly.

Do not be fooled by trainers who uses the 'trade secret' excuse for not allowing you to watch, be present or participate in your dog's training. There are no trade secrets in dog training, dog training is about experience and knowledge, not secrets. This includes those types of 'dog camps' or boarding kennels that take your dog for a week or two and train it for you. Training is about training the owner, not the dog, and most of the time you spend with a good trainer will largely be learning theory so that you know the reasons behind the practical training, and can understand your dog better.

2) The trainer should not be impatient or bring any anger into the training sessions. Patience is the key to good dog training!

3) It goes without saying that no one should ever hit your dog or be directly cruel to it. If you see a trainer doing something to your dog that upsets you, do not say to yourself 'this will be the last time I use this trainer' - stop it then and there. Don't let people guilt you into training with them - this goes for both trainers who are physically abusive to the dog and trainers who are purely positive. No trainer should need to emotionally black mail clients to keep them.

4) Generally I don't advise going to franchises like Bark Busters etc. Dog training is only as good as the trainer, and within a franchise they can vary in experience and knowledge. Another thing to keep in mind is that many dog training franchises, "trainers" only need to buy a franchise, complete what is normally a 2-4 week course in dog training and then they are considered "qualified".

I don't want a trainer who has only completed a franchise course of maybe a month, I want a trainer who has many years experience in dog training and behaviour and has worked with a range of different dogs - and a trainer who is always willing to expand their learning and knowledge base.

5) When it comes to methods, as Amy mentioned, you want to go to a trainer who is well versed in a variety of dog training methods. I generally don't use purely positive trainers for that reason, while I use reward based training a trainer needs to have many tools in their toolbox as no two dogs are the same, and no one method will work with all dogs.

Hope the above helps, will add to it if I think of any more pointers.

Also - just re-reading your OP - it really depends what you are after.

Do you want to learn more general obedience? The class you mentioned that teaches your dog to behave off leash (with the starting and stopping etc) sounds just like a general obedience club that teaches trial-based training i.e. heel work, sit/down stays, automatic sit at heel etc. Any dog can do this type of work off leash, I go to a similar obedience club and we have quite a few sibes who trial and do off leash work - but it is a controlled environment and different (IMO) to teaching a bomb proof 100% reliable recall. I like and enjoy obedience club and it is a great for teaching your dog general manners, and if your dog enjoys it you can further it by competing in trials or rally-o.

One-on-one training can be great especially if you have specific behaviour issues you want to tackle. As I said above, obedience club is great, but if you get a good trainer you will get far more out of a one-on-one session - and if you want to, you can start with a one-on-one session initially and then move into group obedience down the track. The problems you listed in your last paragraph sound like a one-on-one session will be more beneficial for you initially.

As I mentioned above I would stay away from training places that board dogs and train them, any trainer can teach a dog to comply but that's not what dog training is about - it is about teaching the owner how to get their dog to comply. You want a trainer who will train you to train your dog, not someone who will train your dog while you watch on.

I use..

The same one as Sarah and I must say she's really good.

Perhaps one tip would be to speak to your local police dog unit and ask if they use outside trainers. Cath (my trainer) trains the Manchest police dogs and she really knows her stuff. I guess it's also true to say that a police dog trainer would be used to the larger breeds rather than lapdogs....

Just a suggestion....

Mind you, having said all that, Blizzy is still a wild animal when he meets other dogs - totally embarrassing - just like last night lol!

Thanks smeagle. That's very useful info. No way we could afford the boarding training anyway, so that's not an option anyway. ;-) While I'm interested in general obedience, I have a pretty good grasp on how to teach the general obedience stuff. It's just issues with this specific dog in our specific situations where I need help. I think I may go with the lady who had the videos training the husky. Her private session is a bit pricier than the place my friend suggested, but not knowing a specific trainer there, I'm going to take your advice and go with the non franchise one.

Here's the link to the videos.

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/9112_dog-training-tips-husky-heel.htm

Good idea on the police dogs, though they don't seem to have many around here..

Thanks smeagle. That's very useful info. No way we could afford the boarding training anyway, so that's not an option anyway. ;-) While I'm interested in general obedience, I have a pretty good grasp on how to teach the general obedience stuff. It's just issues with this specific dog in our specific situations where I need help. I think I may go with the lady who had the videos training the husky. Her private session is a bit pricier than the place my friend suggested, but not knowing a specific trainer there, I'm going to take your advice and go with the non franchise one.

Here's the link to the videos.

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/9112_dog-training-tips-husky-heel.htm

Good idea on the police dogs, though they don't seem to have many around here..

I know exactly what you mean :) I had a search through for some trainers that I knew of to recommend in Texas, but unfortunately I couldn't find anyone I know to recommend.

However, you might like to contact Suzanne Clothier at the Flying Dog Press:

http://flyingdogpress.com/content/view/13/72/

She doesn't work in your state (although she runs seminars/workshops USA wide) but if you contacted her she might be able to recommend a trainer in Texas. You can call her or email her here:

http://flyingdogpress.com/component/option,com_contact/Itemid,75/

It's hard to comment on the above trainer just from watching the video, although her method for loose leash walking (change of direction) is what I often use :) I did have a look on her website and they have a few trainers there, do you know if the consult is with the woman in the video or with one of their other trainers?

Thanks for the info. I'll see if they have a rec. I figure if I'm going to pay alot for someone to work with I want someone good. If I did the one with the video I would request her... I mostly liked that she was working with a husky so has worked with one before. They are very popular here. Most people I know have either "lap dogs" or hunting dogs...

The same one as Sarah and I must say she's really good.

Perhaps one tip would be to speak to your local police dog unit and ask if they use outside trainers. Cath (my trainer) trains the Manchest police dogs and she really knows her stuff. I guess it's also true to say that a police dog trainer would be used to the larger breeds rather than lapdogs....

Just a suggestion....

Mind you, having said all that, Blizzy is still a wild animal when he meets other dogs - totally embarrassing - just like last night lol!

Nah he wasn't embarrassing! He's too cute :)

Do you excersise him before you bring him to class? Just wondering if getting rid of some excess engergy would help ?

Oh wow - checking out that link - her blog is awesome!

Yep I love Suzanna Clothier! Unfortunately I missed her on her last trip to Oz.

She is one of those trainers that, when reading her work, makes so much sense and it's like a lightbulb going off in your head - duh, why didn't I think of or see that before?? LOL!

It is worth signing up to the site just to read her blog and articles, I especially love her insight. I like the articles "He Just Wants to Say Hi", "The Problems with Head Collars" and "Training with the Prong" as they challenge the way you think about various things. Oh - and her article about learning from dogs about punishment is great too.

Did you see her article on different breeds and why dogs like Siberians are harder to train? It's called "Hard to Train?" and is in the article section.

• 2 weeks later...

-Avoid trainers who will not allow you to observe a class before payment.

-Dog Trainers are professionals, they should look and act it. A sloppy appearance most likely foretells a sloppily run class or sloppy methods. Obviously they won't be in suits and ties, clean athletic type clothing and sneakers are appropriate attire.

-Stay away from extremes. Any trainers who use excessive force or trainers who would rather kill the dog than issue a correction, are IMHO not the best you can get. You want to see lots of reinforcement and only justly issued and timely(within 3 seconds) corrections. Personally, I don't find the need to use correction in training with most dogs, however there are things in my mind that do deserve a correction, like when Charger mouthed an armed guard.

-I would suggest to avoid any trainer who uses cookie cutter methods. Not every dog can be trained the exact same way. Training should be based on the individual dog and owner and what both are comfortable with. This is mostly a problem with new trainers who have only learned a certain way and large chain run training facilities that only teach a certain way to achieve a certain behavior.

-Trainers that have worked with the breed are going to understand the dogs better.

-This goes with the above but, outside credentials are often helpful. Trained Vets, or Vet Techs may have a better idea of if a certain problem could be medically related rather than behavioral. Someone who is studying behavior in depth will understand more about reactive and fearful dogs and serious behavioral problems. If someone is a reputable breeder, you can bet they understand the importance proper raising, socializing and training has on what a puppy will grow to become. If you are lucky enough and find someone who works with or shows their own Sibes, most likely they will understand the challenges relevant to the breed and understanding of the specific breed characteristics and how they affect the efficiency of certain training methods and be able to guide you on training for breed specific activities, like bikejoring, scootering, or sledding.

- In the US, you don't need certification to be a dog trainer, anyone can become a trainer overnight if they wish. However, most trainers who are professionals and take their job seriously will be certified by APDT (they should have a certificate that lists them as a CPDT and show it at request), or NADOI (grants certification as a Dog Obedience instructor). If they are not certified they should at least be able to provide school/clinic attendance information, or what lead them to have their experience and professional references.

-I would avoid send away or boarding training at all costs, unless you have a dog with serious problems. Dog training in essence isn't about someone teaching your dog. It's about them teaching you how to handle and train the dog, how to avoid reinforcing unwanted behaviors and how to increase the reliability of your dogs response to cues. You really need to be there and be involved to get the most out of a course.

-The first question I ask is about their dogs. Do they compete in conformation, agility, obedience, other dog sports, therapy work, etc? Does their dog have titles? Did they train their dog on their own? What a trainer does with their own dogs can tell you a lot. A trainer who is actively involved in competing or working with their own dog shows that they are doing something with what they have learned and gives you an idea of the experience they have, and their results put into perspective what their training can achieve.