She's in heat an she won't eat....what to do?!?!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long does a husky's period last? I know that in average a dog's period lasts 3 weeks but it can vary greatly from breed to breed. And is she supposed to bleed the whole time? Can I assume that she's out of her period once she stops bleeding?

\

Her season will last 21-28 days, she will bleed for the first 5-10 days, and the remaining days will be when she is ready to "stand" or ready to allow a male to mount her. Once she's stopped bleeding, this is when you need to be careful with her around males because she will allow them to mount her.

\

Her season will last 21-28 days, she will bleed for the first 5-10 days, and the remaining days will be when she is ready to "stand" or ready to allow a male to mount her. Once she's stopped bleeding, this is when you need to be careful with her around males because she will allow them to mount her.

I thought there was a 3 week period where in the first and last week she won't let males mount her, but in the middle week, she will.

How can I tell when she's out of heat?

\

I've found my bitches have always bled much longer than they are "supposed to", so this isn't always a good indication. Usually when I've bred, they've been receptive for about a 5-7 day period usually starting about the 14th day after I've seen blood.

I thought there was a 3 week period where in the first and last week she won't let males mount her, but in the middle week, she will.

How can I tell when she's out of heat?

That's what they say is supposed to happen, but it doesn't necessarily happen that way. As she's standing near you, scratch her rump by the base of her tail. When she'd likely be more receptive to a male, she will generally stand and hold her tail off to one side - some are absolute hussies, so not a perfect indication, but generally pretty good. Likewise, if she immediately sits, it's a pretty good indication that she isn't receptive - both before and after she's ovulated and been in what they call "standing heat", for obvious reasons.

As she progresses towards ovulation, her vulva will swell and soften (making it easier for the act to occur) - you won't be able to miss it if you look at her as she's on her back or watching her from behind. As she finishes her season, the swelling will go down, although she may stay more swollen than usual for a while afterward - but still less than she was.

I agree - take the food up and only offer it for a short period of time twice a day. I've found mine are more likely to eat later, if the food "goes away", and comes back at the next meal time. My girls usually go off their feed about 3 weeks after they've been in heat, as they go through a false pregnancy. Fortunately, it's a little easier to get them to eat when there is someone else around that wants your food! wink.gif

If she's like my girls, it's probably about the right time, then. What does she do if you scratch her butt at the base of her tail? Does she sit down, or move her tail to the side? Some other behavior?

I tried scratching her butt at the base of her tail. She knew it was me doing it, so it might have changed her reaction. At first she turned around and stared at her butt to see what's going on, and then she sat down. I tried it three times, always the same reaction.

In the last 2 days she's been REALLY active. She even got off her collar in one instance. This is the first time I've seen her this hyperactive. When she's home, she lays around lazily, but as soon as she steps out, she becomes very active.