She's in heat an she won't eat....what to do?!?!

My 10-month old husky started her heat about 12 days ago. In the first few days she was acting normal but in the last few days she pretty much stopped eating. She's playful, nice, and acts just like every other time except for her not-eating behavior. At first I got her some expensive canned food and shared some nice fish with her and she loved it, but now she won't take that either. No matter what I give her, she'll just sniff it and not touch it, except for the milk. When I gave her lactose-free-milk she really loved it and drank it to the end. What should i do? Is there anything that can increase her appetite?

She's very healthy at 55 pounds, a pretty big dog for a 10 month old female.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, welcome to the Pack!

As long as she's drinking water, if she does not eat for a few days, I would not worry too much. You may want to try feeding her a little kibble by hand and see if she takes that. Huskies can be finicky eaters. Being in heat may affect her appetite some. If she does not start eating come the first of the week, it may be a good idea to give your vet a call.

What do your normally feed her?

First off, welcome to the Pack!

As long as she's drinking water, if she does not eat for a few days, I would not worry too much. You may want to try feeding her a little kibble by hand and see if she takes that. Huskies can be finicky eaters. Being in heat may affect her appetite some. If she does not start eating come the first of the week, it may be a good idea to give your vet a call.

What do your normally feed her?

Thank you for the quick response. She usually eats regular dog food. I think another reason her appetite is down is because she hasn't been getting much exercise lately. Because she is in heat, I reduced her outside time so that she wouldn't encounter and male dogs.

Good for you keeping her from exposure to male dogs. That is the responsible thing to do. When I asked, "What do you normally feed her?", I probably should have asked what brand and type of dog food. It may be that the food you are feeding is simply not that appetizing, and now that she's in heat, it's even less so.

Good for you keeping her from exposure to male dogs. That is the responsible thing to do. When I asked, "What do you normally feed her?", I probably should have asked what brand and type of dog food. It may be that the food you are feeding is simply not that appetizing, and now that she's in heat, it's even less so.

Honestly I buy her food randomly. I didn't know there was much difference between different brands. Which one would you suggest? Lately she won't even eat her treats though. Anything that requires her to chew, she doesn't like lately. She likes milk, yoghurt, really soft food.

Is there such a thing as dog soup maybe?

you can't keep changing her food, huskies naturally have a sensitive stomach? do you just shop for what's on sale? if that's the case then you're probably not feeding her anything good.

i'd recommend taste of the wild, orejin, wellness, blue buffalo

I don't look for what's on sale. I get something and see if she'll like it. If she doesn't like it, I try another brand. If she likes it, I keep getting that brand until she stops liking it.

I'll get one of those three brands tomorrow the first thing.

Siberians generally do best when fed a food that has a lot of animal protein from good sources (like the ones Jennet listed), and no grains (corn, wheat, and soy are the worst, in my opinion) in them. Many people on the forum feed raw food, and most of the dogs do well on this type of a diet (or a mix, where kibble is fed one meal a day, and raw meat another - NOTE: RAW chicken bones are ok for a dog to eat, cooked chicken bones are bad! They can splinter and puncture the stomach or intestines!) if you have an interest in feeding raw foods, here are a couple of links:

http://www.barfworld.com/

http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html

Just so you know, she may go through another picky period where she doesn't want to eat about 3 weeks after she finishes her cycle (she should bleed for roughly 3 weeks, and they are usually receptive to males for up to around a week, starting around 10 to maybe 17 days after you first saw blood - but they don't read the textbooks, so don't hold her to it!). My girls tend to go through a false pregnancy about that time, and they often go off their food then.

We feed TOTW to Zoya as well. There are four canine formulas of TOTW. We rotate Zoya on three of them, buy one bag of High Prairie and feed that, then the next bag we get could be Wetlands, feed that, then Pacific Stream. That way, she does not get bored with her food, it gives her some variety, and yet all the protein comes from meat, there are no grains to cause allergies or upset stomach, and she absolutely goes nuts for this food.

Have you given any thought to having your dog spayed after this, so you and her don't have to endure the same thing? If not, you might want to do a bit of research of the topic. Spaying can also reduce the risk of certain cancers. There are, however, risks as well. So you need to weigh everything before.

keep in mind huskys were bread to go farther last longer on min amount of grub there bodys store fat and they can decide not to burn it ......they are a dog breed thats in full control of how there Metabolism works they can simply slow down there intake of food and store there fat for energy

they eat far less than say a jack russel and the 4x the size

i have yet to meet a husky that dident love solid gold wolf king large dogbreed chow taste of the wild is also good egg on top always dose the trick if you need a test

but dont read this and say well that must be it then .... if any sudden loss of lb then check with your vet

Do you have a blender? If shes only liking liquid food maybe add some water to the kibble and blend it into a fine paste then add some plain yogurt to it so then shes getting her meal but in a different way??? oor you could try putting boiling water on it and leaving it to cool down before giving it her.. this releases the smell and makes it more interesting for her?

:)

Do you have a blender? If shes only liking liquid food maybe add some water to the kibble and blend it into a fine paste then add some plain yogurt to it so then shes getting her meal but in a different way??? oor you could try putting boiling water on it and leaving it to cool down before giving it her.. this releases the smell and makes it more interesting for her?

:)

I will try doing that :)

Yeah Im pretty sure Lactose free is fine.... and yep I also think your right it is to do with her season but if it continues after her season then maybe chat to your vet see if they think they need to see her.

Yes I'll definitely take her to vet if it continues after her heat.

By the way she just ate some fish fillet i offered and asked for more too lol.

Awww good stuff! :D

Yesterday, for her second meal, I gave her blended lactose free milk + canned dog food. She LOVED it. Today I did the same, this time she won't touch it.

She has 3 food bowls that are with her 24/7. One has dry dog food, the other has canned dog food, the third has some raw food (such as canned fish). Some people say I should remove her bowls and put them up only at certain times but I keep them up there at all times. What should I do?

take up the bowls, leave her with water only & keep it like that - only put her food down twice a day for around 10 mins, if she doesn't eat it, remove it. Myshka gets funny with her food like this from time to time, especially when she was in season (she is now speyed) she was bad, but she still drank & played, & walked, etc as normal. I wouldn't worry too much right now, wait till her season has finished & try her with a meal twice a day, when she realises she will only get food at a certain time, it might encourage her to eat. If not, she might just have no appetite at present. If it lasts after her season is over, have a vet check her out